1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone own a 3 D Maglite LED?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by afultz075, Aug 4, 2010.

1. afultz075

afultz075 Loaded Pockets

I need a good vehicle light and i'm considering the 3 D Maglite LED for the task. The size and long usable runtime of this light are what draws me to it.
    Anyone own one of these and care to comment?
    Should I have any concern of how alkaline D cells will hold up in the heat of the summer with this thing in my glove box?

2. XD_Dawg

XD_Dawg Loaded Pockets

Mine has lasted the last 8 summers here in GA with no problems. Give off a good bit of light, and batteries last really well.

3. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

i had both the older (drop in style) and the newer (Rebel) version. I might get another Rebel version since the alkalines leaked and destroyed the light.

4. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

ive got a 3d with a terralux drop in. def worth the money.

5. lazybusinessman

lazybusinessman Loaded Pockets

i have one. keep it in my car in the hot AZ summers....never a problem. sits next to my drivers side seat.

6. GRH

GRH Loaded Pockets

I have a Maglite 2D LED and it is awesome!

7. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

I've had one in my car for the past 3 SoCal summers. I also had a 5D and 6D for about two without any problems using alkaline batteries ::crosses fingers::

8. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

The MagLEDs are fairly good lights, expecially for what's readily available at B&M stores. Pretty good beam quality and throw. The biggest improvement is not only more total battery life, but how useful the beam is once the batteries start to die. Incandescents quickly turn that sickly yellow that is almost useless to see by. The LEDs stay a nice white and just get dimmer. So it's actually usable until the batteries are almost completely dead, it's just not lighting up as much or as far.

9. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I remember being fairly unimpressed by some of the earlier models - brightness and throw were pretty poor compared to a 1AA Fenix light I have (the L1T) but I believe newer models are much, much better and pretty decent as a backup type light.

The alternative I have is using an older incan model with a dropin - I got an incan 3D Mag new for less than it cost me for the batteries in a local electronics shop, then spent £15 on a Terralux dropin for it which is brilliant - very bright (it eclipses the 98 lumen L1T) and can be focussed for excellent throw. Runtime also seems pretty decent - I use it intermittently and when camping and it is still running on the first set of batteries a good while later, so good as a backup or car light. all for cheaper than it would cost me for a modern LED Maglite :)

10. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Got myself a 3D LED w/the Rebel Emmiter @ Costco for $25, & It came with a 2AA Mini Mag too... They're long lasting, cheap to feed, but will still provide plenty of lumens.

11. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I have one. Its in storage now. When I move it will probably go in the garage or something. Never really used it.

12. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

Makes a decent light but it's unregulated so your throw will go from 'hey, that's pretty good' to 'hey, what the?" At least that's my grading system.

13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have a couple. They're huge and heavy for the lumens and runtime, but they're also tough, reliable and reasonably bright. I'd sooner spend a little more money and buy a Quark (I have a bunch of those).

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of full-sized Maglites that I converted to LED by using the MagLED drop-ins. The issue isn't the drop-ins. They work well. The last 3D Maglite I left in my car was several years ago. It sat unused for 3 years under my driver's seat. One day, I went to check if it needed new batteries. And the light literally fell apart in my hands.

Unscrewed the tail cap, took out the batteries. They were fine. Didn't leak. Tailcap would not thread back on. Checked the bulb by unscrewing the bezel. Bezel practically pop off the body, and also would not screw back on. The light also wouldn't turn on when I first grabbed it after those 3 years. Someone explained to me that the metal may have warped a bit over 3 very hot Summers and 3 very cold Winters of having parked my car on the street. The metal expanded and then contracted enough times that the light not only didn't function, but that it literally fell apart in my hands.

That was back before I knew any better, and thought that Maglite was the Be-All & End-All of quality lights. I was not happy. (To put it mildly.) That was the last time I used a Maglite as the emergency light in my car.

15. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Surprised nobody has mentioned how nice of an impact weapon the bigger maglites make. Nothing beats having a 50 state legal nitestick next to you all the time.

16. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

What are you using now?

17. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

I keep a 2D m@g in the car because of its hefty weight and size to use an as impact tool/weapon. It's got a Malkoff Devices Seoul drop in as well, which certainly brightens things up with a nice white tint.

Unfortunately there is always a possibility of alkaline batteries leaking and damaging/destroying a light. I always have at least 2-3 light sources on me so it won't be too much of a problem.

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Back then, I didn't use to EDC flashlights. Nowadays, I always have one main light on me. (Usually a 200+ lumen LED model from SureFire running on 2xCR123 cells. Have several of those.) My Photon Freedom has a permanent home on my house-keys, and I often have a third torch on me that is geared more for runtime than sheer output.

Although my bases are covered, I keep a Princton Tec EOS Headlamp in the center console of my car. Got three Duraloop rechargeable AAA cells in it. If I have a roadside emergency, it's likely to be a flat tire. Need a good headlamp so I can have light, and both my hands free to change the tire.

19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

IMHO,if you remove the tailcap & batteries and stand it up on the bezel end,it makes it easier to pour the front portion full of melted wheel weights,which greatly improves its' value as a club....plus there's room left to store stuff inside....like batteries for a real flashlight.
    For several years,Maglight monopolized the US market.
    And we were brainwashed into believing they were actually flashlights,instead of clubs & kubatons.Nothing to compare 'em to.
    Don't get me wrong; I've owned a few Maglites.And I don't own any high $$$ lights,either.Unless you count a ZL 501W,a ZL SC30 & an Incendio V3.
    But fer crying out loud,there's gotta be a better trucklight for this member!or is the D-cell market still in a rut?
    ~Gnarly