1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone not keep a round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Valpo Hawkeye, Nov 14, 2008.

1. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

Ruger will upgrade your Old Model Single Six for free so it can be safely carried with a round under the hammer. All you have to pay is for shipping the gun to the factory. The information is available here (Warning: PDF Link).

2. Porker

Porker Empty Pockets

The more you practice and become familiar and proficient with it, the more comfortable you will be with a round in the chamber. Both my
    closest friends had AD's with their Glocks...one in front of me!! but I cant blame the guns, it was both their fault. My Beretta Centurion
    has a first shot DA pull that is more than comfortable for me. If you want to stick to an empty chamber make sure you practice, practice to bring that gun into the fight.

3. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

I absolutely agree! I believe that -- if it is to be effective -- an empty chamber carry requires at least as much practice as a chambered-round carry. Even though it's gross-motor movement, chambering takes time, and it must be done right, or the round might not fully chamber. Practice is essential, or you will be slow and/or clumsy in the draw-and-rack sequence.

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

4. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

Keep the parts! In the used market, Old Model Ruger SAs are worth more than the New Model ones.

5. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

+1. Not only that, practice with the actual rig you are going to carry the fancy club in along with any concealing garments. Practice drawing and loading in all sorts of positions, practice while simulating that one arm incapacitated or fending off an attack but make sure the gun is empty.

6. KenpoTex

KenpoTex Loaded Pockets

Why?  if it has a transfer-bar, it is impossible for it to "just go off"

7. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

I was thinking about this, and some semiautos are not safe to carry with a round in the chamber, such as the Jennings J-22 or the Raven .25 auto. If I were to carry one of these, I would leave the chamber empty and the safety off, and rack the slide during the draw.

A funny fact about tiny autopistols is that some can be racked with one hand by hooking the index finger of the shooting hand over the end of the slide, above the barrel (just in front of the front sight). Draw the slide back with the finger and release. I've seen it done successfully by someone who carried a J-22 as a carry pistol. :shocked:

I guess that that technically qualified as "have a gun," but just barely!

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

8. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Some gun is better than no gun...

9. fshon

fshon Empty Pockets

I don't keep a round in the chamber, I have a wheel gun in the drawer and it in on an empty chamber. I figure it is pretty quick if needed

10. peacefuljeffrey

If it's an 8-shot .357 Mag, you should be ok. ;D

P.S. Is the hammer down ON the empty chamber, or is the NEXT chamber the empty one?
    See, if the worry is that the hammer will get banged and make the gun go off without a trigger pull, I see no reason to fear that with any modern revolver.
    But if the worry is about an inadvertent pull of the trigger, you'd want the next chamber up to be the empty one, right? So is that the one you have empty? And if not, why do you have the one under the hammer empty? What's the safety benefit there?

11. spydercofanatic

spydercofanatic Empty Pockets

:iagree:
    The "Transfer Bar" keeps the hammer from being bumped hard and firing that chamber. My wife keeps her 8 shot .357 loaded to the gills :lolhammer:

12. peacefuljeffrey

GOOD ON HER! :thumbsup:

13. vrocco

vrocco Loaded Pockets

IMHO not keeping a round in the pipe substantially slows down the time to first round engagement. These seconds could be critical. Modern firearms include numerous safety device to keep guns from AD. Instead of training to draw and chamber a round quickly, why not train in safe gun handling and good presentation from holster? Then an AD will not be something you need to worry about.

My favorite line came from the movie Blackhawk Down when the Delta guy holds up his trigger finger and tells the officer "My safety is right here sir"

14. Eeyore

Eeyore Loaded Pockets

All my home defence and carry firearms are stored with a round in the chamber.

15. chriscoobs

chriscoobs Empty Pockets

revolvers make up 100% of my handgun home defense setup split between a s&w 640, ruger sp101,& a ruger gp100. I keep my guns full, and i feel revolvers fit my home defense plan alot better than semi-autos. If i had semi autos around for home defense i would not chamber the round personally. If i had a carry weapon in semi-auto i would chamber it though. My shotgun which i would grab as my first choice for home defense if possible does not have a round in the chamber however. Just 6 in the tube.(00BUCK).

16. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

Round in the chamber. As somebody said early in the thread, the gray matter between your ears is the best safety.
    If that's not functioning properly, no safety in the world will help. If it is, you'll never have a problem.

17. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Video reinforcement. This shows reaction from the "SUL" or safety circle position but just imagine the same scenarios if your gun was holstered. Everything he shows here could be executed effectively from the holster IF your gun was in the ready condition. IF you had to chamber a round first you would more than likely lose everyone of these fights demonstrated. This is Gabe Suarez by the way a very well respected defensive/tactical shooting instructor.

CQ Gunfighting

18. Fighthard

Fighthard Empty Pockets

Well, I for one do not carry a round in the chamber in my Glock. Not only do I not trust the Glock safety system, but I do not use a holster, and carry in the waistband of my pants. I have carried various pistols this way for 18 years. This is how I learned to carry and operate a Hi Power. There are a lot of people that have differing opinions, but from someone who has used a handgun, I know what I need to do to be effective. There are times when I have carried a Glock in a holster and then it will have one in the chamber, however that is only when I am wearing kit.

As far as anything that has a safety, like a Hi Power, 1911, CZ, HK USP etc. then it is carried with the safety OFF and 1 in the chamber.

I have met a lot of instructors in my line of work and many of the really good ones have never actually "used" a handgun, they have practiced and qualified and written lessons and articles and had their pictures made and all of that means absolutely nothing until the two way range goes live.

Just my .02

19. ICEAGE

ICEAGE Empty Pockets

1) Why do you carry a Glock if you "Do not trust" the safety system? The Glock's "Safety system" is completely reliant on you to keep your finger/ shirt/anything else out of the trigger guard. By saying you do not trust the Glock you are pretty much saying you lack the basic firearms awareness and safety 101. I've seen video of people tossing Glocks off of something 10' high onto cement with no discharge (using blanks for safety). The only issue pretty much is the operator letting something squeeze the trigger.

2) You carry "Single Action" handguns with the safety "Off" but a round chambered? Isn't that a bit more unsafe then carrying a Glock with a round chambered? Don't get me wrong, I've seen video footage of a British SAS soldier carrying a Sig with his hammer cocked (and the weapon has no form of safety besides the heavy DA pull, which was nullified). I would be extremely hesitant to do so however.

3) Yeah, a lot of instructors have never been involved in shootings, but there are quite a few who are ex police, ex military or even ex special forces. I trust their opinions when they say carry with a round chambered. ;)

I've never heard of anyone with quality training or tactical/combat experience carrying an unloaded weapon.

According to the guy who taught me, most shootings are over in under 3 seconds. Can you draw your weapon, rack the slide, aim, and fire in under three seconds? Probably so, but the thing is, most shootings are OVER in 3 seconds... If you get shot while you're racking the slide or bringing your gun to bear what use is the gun?

Also do not forget the fact that if your "attacker" is 21' or less you might as well use the gun as a club. Regardless of how fast you are before you can rack the slide and fire he'll be on you stabbing/punching/whatevering you.

There was extensive tests on this by several police forces. If you don't think so try using an airsoft and having a friend with a sharpie act like the bad guy. My money is you'll be all marked up before you can 'shoot' him.

If trained police officers lose to random "thugs" (Training partners using no technique other then rush and attack) 10 times out of 10 (when the gun is holstered w/o a round chambered) how do you expect to survive?

Keep in mind if someone reaches you with a knife you may be looking at 50 to 60 stab wounds or more if they are so inclined.

BTW I shoot Glock and have no worries of accidental or negligent discharge. If you have worries I'd recommend buying a quality holster, getting training and practicing more. Use an empty gun, practice drawing and firing, AND re holstering the gun (A few Glock owners in the past have had negligent discharges while holstering).

20. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Never say never. Accidents happen, and it doesn't matter how smart you are.

This argument is beat to death on boards like this and really nobody is right or wrong as each person and situation is different. Just do it the way you want to, and let others do it the way they want to. Why try to push your opinion onto them? To each their own.