1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone live in or near Reading, PA?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by T.H.Cone, Apr 15, 2014.

1. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Yeah, us true Florida Crackers consider everyone above Okefenokee Swamp to be Yankees no matter how much they draw their voices and sweeten their tea. ;)

Given that we succeeded before Georgia and were still on the offensive as Georgia was burning to the ground, I'd say there is plenty of Deep South further South than Georgia. LOL. It's easy to be "Southern" when you are surrounded by fellow southerners... try it when you are surrounded by Yankees who you have to explain simple things to like "No, adding sugar to cold unsweetened tea does not make it sweet tea". :banghead:

Our neighbors to the North forget because there are so many Yankees living here. :help:

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, Apr 17, 2014
  2. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around wanting to leave Montana after you've made it through a few winters. You've looked down from bridges into water so clear you could count the pebbles on the bottom--heard the elk bugle in the fall and seen them teem into the high valleys in April--fired a rifle where there was no soul close enough to hear the shot--taken a deep breath of morning air that was cool and dry any morning of the year--and you're looking to move for trivial things like twice as much money and nearness to family? I'm sorry; I shouldn't harp on what must be an agonizing choice ;)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

3. Farchyld
    • In Omnia Paratus

Farchyld Loaded Pockets

Man I was tired when I responded to this thread. >_>

xbanker, Cobra 6 Actual and T.H.Cone like this.
  4. Grinch

Grinch Banned

Ha ha ha you crack me up FL Woods Bum you almost made swallow my mint longhorn dip . I ant no Yankee either , but i do like my Georgia Crackers LOL

FL Woods Bum and T.H.Cone like this.
  5. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Ever go to Walpack Center or the Walpack Inn? The defunct Yards Creek project ripped off a bunch of landowners up there, but
    it made for a nice wilderness area. An anomaly for NJ.
    Yeh, you need to catch up with SurvPA. It kinda depends if you want to live in farm country or the woods. If you have taken Sunday drives on 78W you know its flat to rolling on the left side and you have the Blue Mts on the right. If you are intending to be a townie you're going to be on the left side; places like Hamburg, Shartlesville, Moselum Springs. Reading is too big for me. Prefer those smaller towns.
    The only coal cracker town I spent time in was Jim Thorpe. Neat how it hangs in a narrow western draw that sinks down to the Lehigh River. Had some neat shops and a small railroad museum. Not a good commute though. Hewing to a valley town may set you up for an easier ride to Philly should you get tired of the Dutchies. And better proximity to Lancaster farmer markets.

6. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Finding a job similar to what I have is the only issue with the norther rockies. Otherwise, it would indeed be perfect.

:eek: But I'm a Dutchie.

Ya, the wife's maternal family owned a farm in Layton. I'm intimately familiar with "river".

We're definitely a farm/woods family, we're not adverse to a very small town though. This is basically our current situation. Aside from some restrictive laws, very high taxes, and too many people (to in our immediate area), living where we do is great. There is a rail trail 200 yards away and hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. can be had in less than a ten minute car ride.

Been to Jim Thorpe many times to mountainbike. Awesome little town that has every thing I just said about where I live.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  7. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

@T.H.Cone
    I've shared some of my life's journeys with you,; from those came a perspective. YMMV of course. :)

A move to Reading would be in right direction. Don't wait for "the perfect situation to present." Ain't gonna happen. :) Job/income/lifestyle big considerations. At the root is "job." Usually the big hurdle. Sounds like you have potential job opportunity that would remove that hurdle. The rest you have control over: where you live; how you integrate into community, how long you stay there etc.

So maybe it turns out ends up being just a "stopping off point." You live there x-years, circumstances change, and you make the next "hop" in your journey ... to Montana or Idaho! :) A life plan doesn't have to be accomplished in a single hop; normally isn't. Usually a journey consisting of several steps. Just keep your eye on the prize, and don't lose sight of, or give up on, the ultimate goal.

Yikes! :eek: Tend to get philosophical in my old age.

8. T.H.Cone

I totally get where you are coming from, Xb. The bride and I were just talking on our after dinner walk about quality of life issues and Montana (the recent issue of Backpacker has a multi page MT ad that didn't help) and we both realize that at a certain point, money is only money, and there are lots of reasons for a big move. Life is short, after all.

But, we still need to eat.

Moreover, there is something to be said for roots and stability, especially with grade schoolers. I don't think the moving every few years is something we'd, as a family, be willing to do.

9. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

Just on the news there seems to be a mass exodus from the Reading area, residents seem to be fleeing. Local authority's weren't sure what occurred on Tuesday evening to start the panic but at this rate Reading will be depopulated by the end of the month.

10. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

They are calling it.."The Great Cone Scare". Most of Eastern PA is on high alert...people are abandoning their houses and their children. I wonder whats going on... ;)

11. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm half Dutchie, well Moravian. My father's ancestors, Costenbaders, lived and farmed near Hope. My mother's side came up to Scott's Mtn (White Twp, Warren) from Philly in the 1850's and started a brickyard there. That rail trail wouldn't be part of the old DL&W cut would it?

12. T.H.Cone

I was like, "OMG, what could have happened and why wouldn't I have heard of it". Then I was all like, "Hey, wait just one minute". You know, I'm a little slow sometimes.

Sure, sure, just pile on. It's always funny till I start to cry.

We're sort of at the corner of the Sussex Branch and the Paulinskill. I think the SB was indeed part of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad at one point, but I'm not really 100% on that, so I'll say, "Maybe".

13. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

This just enticed me to join in on the fun!! :devil:

14. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

+1 XB. We finally escaped NJ because of a convergence of good timing. M got recruited away from her job in healthcare to healthcare tech for a German concern with a large presence her in NC. My company wouldn't give me up and said "you can telecommute", plus our only child was in college. We had scouted NC a decade earlier. It was nice, but the timing wasn't right. Timing is everything in comedy and life too. When it's time to expand your personal universe you'll know by the tug of time.
    NC proved to be and excellent decade long stepping stone. Much cheaper than NJ. (We were amazed at our real estate tax. When we got the first bill it was one quarter of what we paid in NJ.) The benefit of the move was less stress, no commutes, and a much better savings rate. Now we are moving to NM. PA costs are similar to NC on balance. THC: weigh it all out. XB and I are good examples of a hop, skip, and a jump.

15. Wfs29223

Wfs29223 Loaded Pockets

Blue marsh lake

16. Farchyld
    • In Omnia Paratus

Farchyld Loaded Pockets

^ good way to catch something you'll need pills to remove :frantic:

17. Ethan459625

Ethan459625 Loaded Pockets

Ottsville Pa. You might never have heard of it.

Sent via supersonic jet

18. Ethan459625

Ethan459625 Loaded Pockets

An hour and a half away

Sent via supersonic jet