1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone into whittling?

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by hawkeye, Jun 29, 2008.

1. moonshinematt

moonshinematt Empty Pockets

I practice often, mostly primitive weapons~but I'll upload a cpl pix~! awesome job!

2. Seiko

Seiko Empty Pockets

Wow some fantastic work in this thread! I've had a craving to try a spoon and pasta fork set. This might be the inspiration needed :)

3. brparris

brparris Loaded Pockets

Where can I find some of the curved knives that have been displayed in this thread?

4. Hally

Hally Empty Pockets

That curved knife is from frost mora. Try www.ragweedforge.com

5. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Amazing thread! Very inspiring, especially liked the caged balls and the rough work from the less experienced. Now I'm gonna have to try it out for myself...

6. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

Nice stuff. I'd love to get into something like this. Goal is a chess set.

7. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

Patience is something I always work on too. I have had to teach myself to slow down and realize that literally nothing I have to do needs to be done at 100 mph or is worth getting stressed out about if I can't do it at 100mph. I have gotten to the point that I don't start getting agitated until I have been in the line for over 45 minutes at the Walmart!

How in the world do you carve balls in cages? This is going to sound dumb, but how do you even carve a sphere in general? My mind boggles at the ability to take a knife and produce a ball of reasonable roundness. I might, and I emphasize "might", be able to make something like a football, but an actual sphere kind of escapes me...

8. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

http://www.wikihow.com/Whittle-a-Ball-in-a-Cage

So I went out and got a book. Not the book I wanted but I guess it will do. I got a xacto carving knife but I'm probably going to need the set before it's over with. I think the next tool to get is a scroll saw. Hand held because I'm a broke mofo.

Couple of things I'd like to do is wood skull beads. A belt buckle to make into a mold and then cast it.

9. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Very nice work guys. O0

10. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Over the years in scouting, I've carved and whittled my fair share of of neckerchief slides. For the woodcarving meritbadge, I turned in a ball and cage. I got a ball and cage connected to a chain project that I been working on for years. I love the carving jack, just not the price.

11. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the price is a little steep . I wonder what kind of duty I have to pay to have one sent to Europe. What has got me going apart from the work you guys have done is the carvin jack comes in left handed versions.

12. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I bet you the boker keycom would work very nicely as well as the boker subclaw and wharcom. All CLB designs.

You going to create a business and start selling your whittlings?

Awesome pictures and work!

13. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Hadn't thought about selling 'em. I just like to relax with a knife or two and a stick... :)

Haven't done any for a while though. Just haven't felt good enough, but that is changing...

14. peacefuljeffrey

Hoodoo, yoodoo beautiful work!

I'm inspired--and tomorrow I'm going out to buy or order that book! I am eager to get started! :)

15. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

Mucho gracias amigo!

Here is a bowl I carved over the Christmas break. And a semi tutorial to go with it.

16. DemskeetSkeet

I don't see the bowl, or are you referring to the link for the picture?

I'm going to click on it anyways to see how you somewhat did it.

Thanks

Edit: Where did you get those tools!!!

I need to find me some cheap carving tools, anyone know where to find them locally or online?

17. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Dang Hoodoo, that is great. ;D Your work looks awesome! :highfive: What do you think is the best wood for beginners (i thought i read Basswood mentioned)?? :help: And would a regular old SAK with a little blade work?

18. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Very nice work on the bowl, and great work in progress pix. Thanks!

19. DemskeetSkeet

any small SHARP blade will work, so just make sure that you have some sharp blades that you are willing to put to use on wood and I know a few people that use SAk's, I'm just trying to find actually carving tools so I don't ruin my "good knives"

20. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

I don't think you can go wrong with basswood. A SAK is a great whittler for some things, you just need to thin the bevels on 'em. I'd check out Chris Lubkemann's books (see above). Twigs are easy to come by and Chris shows you how to sharpen your SAK.