1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone here use linux???

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by jake.t, May 23, 2009.

1. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

If you have the hard drive space - the Windows Dual boot is really easy.

The way just suggested - installing it in Windows is really easy and you get a dual boot choice with the Windows Boot Loader.

Shiner

2. sewer_rat

sewer_rat Loaded Pockets

The speedbump with using any Linux version will be hardware compatibility. On a self-made desktop, you'll run into a hardware clash once in a while when you put something into your machine that the Linux developers haven't written driver info for. Almost every time, doing a quick search on Google will get you the proper procedure to get that hardware working properly.

Installing it on a netbook should be a simple procedure as the hardware on them only comes in a couple distinct variations (out of the box) which the developers have anticipated and provided the proper drivers, etc. to work with. Once you start adding new hardware to the netbook, the previously mentioned speedbumps may occur. In my personal experience, the only problem I have had with my netbooks + Ubuntu + new hardware was when I tried to plug a USB DVD-ROM drive into it. The drive was purchased at a Ham convention, the box and the drive were labeled in Cyrilic and cost me $12. I finally got it working with the help and a bit of handholding through a Ubuntu forum member and some Twittering back and forth.

I should also mention that one could acquire a legally free copy of Windows 7 RC (Release Candidate) from Microsoft which in my opinion works wonderfully on netbooks. I've installed it on 3 of them and it runs just as fast as Ubuntu's netbook release. Perhaps it isn't as secure on the internet but all my required Windows programs run on it...

3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I have a P4 1.7/400 bus ready with a 20 GB slave drive for Ubuntu 8.10 sometime soon. XP Pro and MS 2003 Office on main drive. glad to find this thread.

4. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I am newly acquainted with Ubuntu; I replaced a dead hard drive on my father's old laptop - after giving him my own - and installed build 9.04. It looks like a nice change... too bad it's going to my mum. >.>

5. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

Just tried out Mint 7 on the netbook and once it boots it runs well. No need to update codecs for the video player or audio player. Might try to load this up and do an actual install on an old laptop.

6. ecfiffer

ecfiffer Empty Pockets

well i was running ubuntu 8.x on a air force issued laptop before i got out. and my wife loved it. but she has been avoiding ubuntu like the plague since then. i've got Maemo on my nokia internet tablet. that this is cool but sometimes its just plain laggy. however a coworker turned me on to backtrack... now thats a linux i need to play with. i'm an IT guy where i work and the security training that i could get with this.... wow but lest we forget ubuntu... i'll move back to it when i upgrade our desktop...

7. tux

tux Empty Pockets

Backtrack is good for basic pen testing but you will find it is much easier in the long run to roll your own distro for that task. Think if it as a test suite, you still need the proper training/understanding of the issues and the tools to use the test suite.

8. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

Guys. You can now EDC linux

link

9. tux

tux Empty Pockets

I did previously mention DSL but it's far from the only distro that will fit on a USB stick. Puppy and SLAX are my 2 favorites on a thumbdrive, Xubuntu and Backtrack get honorable mentions.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

I've used it off-and-on, but I never found a compelling reason to switch from Windows. True, Windows is expensive, but everything I want to run works with Windows -- WINE on Linux simply doesn't run the games I want to run.

11. tux

tux Empty Pockets

Running Windows as a VM would which would lower your risk of damaged caused by malicious software, if the VM got infected you would just need to reload the image. With that being said as mentioned if Windows does all you need a computer to do their is no reason to switch.

12. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

just try and use standard compatible programs and open file/file system formats as much as possible, for the benefit of everyone...

13. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

14. Fosszombie

Fosszombie Empty Pockets

Ubuntu is great, I use it all the time. There are some other linuxes that are not as stable or complete but offer some awesome features and eye candy like elivecd.org

The cool thing about linux is it's easy to switch back and forth without any consequence. Seperate /home with separate user folders for each os, you can multi-boot and still have good file access.

I've been using linux since the mid 90s, which is very close to when it was born. I also use windows but linux makes me feel at home. It's complete. Has everything. I just play some games on windows that I don't want to wine.

15. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

I've got some Linux going on, in a variety of flavors, as well as a variety of locations.

2 Laptops running Kubuntu (One tablet, one regular notebook)
    1 Dell server running Ubuntu at work for my department's Quake 3 server :laugh:
    1 HP server running SUSE for use as a server monitoring tool (ZENOSS)
    Also run several virtual machines (MS Virtual Server, since we are an MS partner) running Fedora, SUSE, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu, mostly for testing and sandbox applications.
    Both Ubuntu and Knoppix Live CD/DVD's have come in very handy for diagnostics and repair operations.
    Mythbuntu media machine
    And, Android on my phone.

My personal feeling is that Linux is great, and meets my needs a lot of the time. But, I am a Windows guy professionally, and there are some things that I do that still work better under Windows. So, I'm not married to either OS.

16. lukaszki

lukaszki Empty Pockets

Avid Ubuntu user here. I switched to linux on my both notebooks about a year ago and was never looking back. Every system has its flaws but Ubuntu fits me best. Fast, configurable, easy to maintain, cheap and safe. Currently I'm running Intrepid Ibex but I will have to update to Jaunty Jackalope soon.

17. Minotaur

Minotaur Loaded Pockets

i am in the same position have to have at least one windows machine for certain games.

Going to be very interesting now that Google are coming out to play.

18. MagicDot

MagicDot Loaded Pockets

I dual boot. I have no problems what-so-ever w/ Vista.. ..does unbuntu or other debian based *nix systems work better? I dunno. ..its just as snappy as my vista really. I have yet to try a slackware product on here, but I just made a 5-8 y/o machine run like a dream w/ slackware.. :-?? I have no idea. I have a zune (yes. shoot me) so I need my windows machine to work. But I'm working from it now w/ almost 30+ tabs in FF open, plus utorrent, plus WMP w/ a paused movie.. I honestly have no qualms w/ windows. They're a soul sucker if you let it take over, but I try to keep my reigns tight on it. Everything I run is opensource or freeware. I pay for no software. Ubuntu has about the same "snappiness" to me. .. if I load up DSL on a live CD, then there's a difference.. but...................................

19. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I am currently replying using Puppy Linux 4.2 using seamonkey browser (netscape product). I am really liking puppy. It is running on a PIII 650mhz Compaq Presario w/ ~320MB ram and an old pcmcia D-Link modem, and runs rather quickly. My video (youtube) is choppy, but otherwise it's great, AND the whole basic OS (w/ lots of apps) takes up less than 100mb (yes, 100mb). It can be run from flash or pen drive. I am really digging the Puppy.

20. AKS

AKS Empty Pockets

Another Linux user here. I have toyed with it for several years now and have settled into Ubuntu as it is pretty much stable and easy for rookies to use/understand. Currently it's running on my older IBM ThinkPad running a 1.86 Ghz chipset with 1GB of RAM and it cooks. Boots just as quickly as my Vista machine that's loaded with much more horsepower. We ran a few servers and desktops at my last job and have provided many older computers to friends and family running Ubuntu for websurfing and email machines. Everyone who gets one of these older refurbed computers comments on how easy it is to use, and how they just run and run.
    I'm sure there will always be a Windoze machine around the house, I tend to grab the ThinkPad first.