1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone here use linux???

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by jake.t, May 23, 2009.

1. tux

tux Empty Pockets

The advantage would depend on what you use your computer for and if you are willing to learn a new OS, if Windows works for you by all means stick with it however if you are willing to learn linux it can greatly increase the usefulness and speed of an older machine. The advantages range from being free and more configurable to more stable and less susceptible to viruses and malware while creating less of a footprint (uses less memory, takes less space for a basic install etc.)

As for recommending a distro we would need to know the specs. Linux can run on almost anything but some distributions have a steeper learning curve than others. I have a PIII server running the latest Debian and a even older PII running DSL with a graphical environment not to mention my PXE server machine, several embedded devices, my Asterisk PBX, etc. etc. To list everything and all its uses here would be insane but I couldn't do even half of it with Windows on the same spec of hardware nor would I feel secure doing so as I can control and contribute patches to my open source based machines.

Give us your specs and we will help :)

2. jake.t

jake.t Empty Pockets

Just upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04 :woohoo: but I can still dual boot with windows XP

3. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

My machine is a P3 running at 1000Mhz with 356MB RAM.
    I've got plenty of HD space so that is not an issue.

4. xthereal

xthereal Loaded Pockets

Like a junkie! I've 'been using' since around 2001, many flavors of Linux and the BSD's. Currently running Ubuntu 9.04 on my two home pc's and Acer Aspire One, 8.04 on my wife's laptop, Slackware on an ancient laptop, Centos on my web server and Mandriva on an internal server. Been wanting to get back to playing with FreeBSD or OpenBSD but alas my time to play is sadly lacking right now. I once had a box setup that was quint booting, one installation of windows, three different linux distros and a BSD haha. Never got much actual work done on it but sure learned a lot in the process :)

5. jake.t

jake.t Empty Pockets

You would probably be able to run ubuntu but without any fancy features

6. amphipolis

amphipolis Loaded Pockets

I just started using eeebuntu NBR 2 on my Asus netbook. I grew up using windows and I tried Mandrake and Redhat over the years, but I finally seem to have wrapped my head around linux and the learning curve has been easy.

7. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

Oldschool slackware hacker from way back. (pre-93, represent!)

However that said, I almost always use the latest MS OS, as that is what my customers want.

8. tux

tux Empty Pockets

Since slack wasn't released until 93 you couldn't be using Slack before 93...unless you are Patrick Volkerding...if so, been awhile now send me some local beer for a change lol, many of my customers use MS OS's as well but my network isn't comprised of them, as mentioned I do have MS boxes and VMs for testing but nothing for daily use or critical apps.

Does anyone else remember LGX? I think I still have a copy somewhere...though I doubt the CD is in workable condition.

Glad to see we have a mini Linux community here.

9. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

Maybe you guys can help me make a decision...

I'm getting ready to buy a mini notebook (probably a Mini 9) and I can't decide between Ubuntu or Windows XP. With Ubuntu the notebook would be about $40 cheaper (not a huge difference) and I can upgrade the memory to 2 gb whereas with XP 1gb is the only option.

I plan on using the notebook for internet browsing, movies, transferring image and movie files from SD cards to an external hard drive, creating word documents and other similar basic tasks.

I have 2 other PCs. A desktop with XP and a notebook with Vista. Both work fine. I don't have a problem with either. If it were anything other than a mini I would just get XP or Vista to keep things uniform, but because this is starting life as a limited system, I wonder if I should keep things simple and light (Ubuntu).

What do you guys think?

10. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

The key question is do you need to run any Windows programs?

Wine allows you to run Windows programs on Linux boxes - but it is not 100% compatible.

If the answer is no on the Windows programs ... go for Linux.

Faster, cheaper, and it works very well.

Shiner

11. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

April 93 was beta.... lots of stuff running around usenet before that. Unless you are Linus and want to disown the code that was 'leaked'.

My gateways and switches aren't MS, but front end, yes... sad but true.

12. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

Most of what I will use the notebook for will be internet based.

Does Linux run iTunes?

Does it have some sort of media player?

Does it play all video files?

What about viewing and transferring image files?

Thanks for the help!

13. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

Does Linux run iTunes? Only with Wine

Does it have some sort of media player? yes ... VLC has you covered - it comes with a built in player also

Does it play all video files? - VLC - see above

What about viewing and transferring image files? - no problem

14. tux

tux Empty Pockets

I was thinking more of official releases, I remember Patrick mentioning the release on comp.os.linux around July and some talk about it before then, sometime in april but I don't recall code leaked previous to that....strange, I'll have to ask Maddog if he remembers when he first seen slack...my memory isn't THAT good lol

Not naively but as mentioned you can use Wine to do so. iTunes wouldn't be my choice of player but hey whatever fits you best.

Their are many to choose from depending on your needs.

It can, all the needed codecs are available for Linux or you can use a player with them built in.

Not a problem.

The only thing Linux really can't do naively (besides run windows software) is play many games, developers jjust don't see the Desktop market share yet to develop their games for Linux for the most part, everything else it can pretty much do and often do more efficiently as you have more control.

15. mrsean2k

mrsean2k Empty Pockets

Just to add, no trouble running iTunes under VMWare.

I haven't tried FOSS offerings like VirtualBox have the same level of support, but in the spirit of adventure, I'm now installing and trying it out -will report back.

16. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

Just wanted to pop in and state that I LOVE linux:

Ubuntu 8.1 on my workstations at the office and at home
    Ubuntu 8.04 (long term edition) on my work laptop
    Ubuntu 9.04 NBR on my EEEPC 901

The debian / ubuntu package management system ROCKS. Need some software? sudo apt-get install some_software, wait two shakes, and it's THERE - less fiddling than even Apple. No anti-virus to fight with or suck up processor time, GREAT support, no need to constantly pull out my wallet for every stinking little utility. I love that what I've learned on my workstation is usable on my routers (openWRT), phone system (asterisk), laptop (dell 610), netbook (eeePC 901), palmtop (nokia 710), clock radio (chumby), and someday my cell phone (Android something or other) and maybe even upgrade my blue mountain EFIS lite to the latest version - it runs linux, too.

I've used Redhat and SUSE previously; am currently looking into openSUSE 11.1 for a project, and hope to become more proficient with openBSD in the future. That new KDE desktop sure is sharp.

I run XP in a virtualbox session now and then when I absolutely have to (every couple months to get a new Jeppeson database on my Garmin GPS - chewed on Jeppeson about it at Oshkosh, but don't see that changing anytime soon).

I have a mac mini for iTunes, movies and photos (it's my entertainment system - used in place of a TV), so I haven't fought with iTunes on linux, but I have noticed that Rhythmbox on linux was kind enough to let me transfer files off my iPod without making me wipe it first - it's the little freedoms that I love. If you don't plan on actually purchasing music (movies, games) via iTunes I don't think you'd lose much switching to pure open source. I'm considering putting linux on the mini, too - anyone try mythTV on a mini? Any luck getting the groovy little Apple remote working?

17. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

there are media players that support ipod btw, if thats the reason for itunes...

18. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

mrsean2K

Are you running ITunes 8.1.1 w/ VMWare? Is it totally seamless?

Shiner

19. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

My suggestion is to install Ubuntu on one of your current computers using the Wubi installer, just as Jake.T has. It will install Ubuntu from Windows, on the Windows file system, so you can try it out with a minimum of changes to your computer. It is easy and works very well. The download is here. Wubi comes with the standard Ubuntu install disk. Try it out and see how you like it. It uninstalls from the Windows uninstaller if you want to remove it.

My wife's iPod was recognized by Ubuntu right away, so you may not need iTunes to manage your music at all. Amazon also has a Linux-based tool for their music download store (I haven't tried it yet).

A note on the media playback - most of the required codecs are not installed by default for legal reasons. Each time that Ubuntu encounters a new media type it will prompt you to allow the installation - very easy. DVD playback is barely more complex; instructions are in the help menu under the media topic.

20. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

Great suggestion. Thanks!

EDIT: I've also been considering buying it with XP then removing it and installing Ubuntu. How hard is this?

Or, if I buy it with Ubuntu I could always install XP if I don't like it. Right?