1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone here use linux???

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by jake.t, May 23, 2009.

1. jake.t

jake.t Empty Pockets

If so what version are you using (ubuntu users please state what version you are using). The only reason I am interested is because I just used the excellent Wubi installer to dual boot 8.04 handy Heron with XP pro. wubi Info EDIT: I now use ubuntu 9.04

2. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

Both XP and Vista dual boot perfectly with 9.04.

I have installed 8.04 and 9.04 - both were seamless installs.

Shiner

3. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

Running Ubuntu 9.04 and Win 7 RC1 on my Acer AspireOne Netbook. Works fine.

4. matt0

matt0 Loaded Pockets

I'm using Ubuntu's netbook edition on my AAO (9.04)

5. mrsean2k

mrsean2k Empty Pockets

UNR 9.04 on this Acer Aspire One

9.04 on main laptop

8.19 on big ugly hidden box running VMWare Server

6. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Ubuntu 9.04 on my home desktop and my work laptop (my own laptop, so I get to choose the environment I work with).
    EEEbuntu 3.0 Base for my Asus EEE PC 901. If you have an EEE PC, get it, this version of Ubuntu rocks! (here)

The laptop and desktop also have Windows XP, the former for Windows-only work tools, and the latter for games (I can't get Fallout 3 and GTA IV are protected for working under Windows exclusively, I've read there is a workaround for Fallout 3, I'll give it a try). Work laptop may need CentOS too in the future, for Redhat-only tools.

I'd be pretty sad if I had to go back to Windows for daily use...

7. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

Used it for years. Never used Vista or windows 7. I like ubuntu but I'm learning system administration on CentOS, a rebuild of Redhat Enterprise Linux. I've no interest in windows anymore (apple either).

8. tux

tux Empty Pockets

I've used both Linux and BSD based systems for over 10 years. I have Slackware still on a few firewalls, Debian and Gentoo make up my servers and OpenBSD is my main desktop, I have an Ubuntu box just to help troubleshoot for people and run various OS's in VMs. As a penetration tester/programmer and occasional web developer this is really my bread winning skillset.

9. wenestvedt

wenestvedt Loaded Pockets

Does OpenSolaris count (yet)? :7)

10. tux

tux Empty Pockets

It does if we're including all *nix based systems, it atleast counts as much as my OBSD box :woohoo:

11. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Long time Linux user and developer. I started with Red Hat 5.1 in 1998 and Mandrake Linux. After Red Hat Linux 7 in 2001 or so, I switched to Gentoo when founder Daniel Robbins was the first distro to pickup an open source project I was working on. I ran Gentoo until I met Mark Shuttleworth a couple of years ago which was a cool experience. Been running Ubuntu since then.

12. noth

noth Loaded Pockets

Count me in guys. I won't bother mentioning distros and versions as I've been using BSD and Linux almost exclusively since around '96... ;)

13. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

gobolinux and winxp on my desktop, eeebuntu on my eeepc 900, maemo on my N800...

14. whitefeather010

whitefeather010 Loaded Pockets

I've been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake. I'm currentyly on 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, simply because I haven't had time to upgrade to 9.04 yet. Probably sometime this weekend. I love Ubuntu!!

Before that I used Fedora for a while, and I even used Mandrake once upon a time. But for me Ubuntu is the only way to go now.

15. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

Currently using Ubuntu 9.04 the Jaunty Jackalope. I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 years now.

16. rikhard.fsoss

rikhard.fsoss Empty Pockets

hi all, i'm a proud user of FLOSS since 1998, my preference is always Debian and Debian based, like sidux and kubuntu.

i also study FreeBSD :) and sometimes use PC-BSD on a VM.

i really love the quality and philosophy of FLOSS.

17. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

What is the advantage to Linux over Windows other that sticking it to Microsoft?

I have a PC that is almost 7 years old and I need to stretch its usefulness a little further will Linux help?

18. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

porkchop,

what are the specs on that computer?

19. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

Long time Linux user here. I was a distro-junkie for years, jumping to the latest release as soon as it came out: Suse, Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora, etc. I jumped on Ubuntu within a week or two of Warty's release, 4.10, and haven't looked back. I was very happy with 8.04, and skipped 8.10. A failing hard drive prompted me to jump to 9.04 a few weeks before it's release, and I had a few issues, probably the first ever for me on Ubuntu. Thankfully all have been fixed, except for network share browsing, and I suspect that a few minutes spent on the forum would fix that one as well.

20. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I tried the different flavers of Ubuntu, but have recently been messing around with Linux Mint. I also have an install of puppy Linux on an old laptop, but i am going to see if ELive will run on it to check out the 17 GUI.