1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here pack a revolver as their daily carry piece?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by BigNug45, Apr 10, 2014.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

S&W Model 640 J-Frame bull-barrel 5-shot .357 on days when I just don't wish to be bothered with a thumb safety, magazine, etc.
    By Christmas and no coincidence or significance, I will take delivery of a S&W Performance Center Model 627-5 N-Frame 5-inch barrel 8-shot .357 along with two Five Star speed loaders, a dedicated gunbelt, and low-profile holster and speed loader pouches.

Compensating for something you ask? Yes, very much so... Advancing age, declining strength, arthritic hands, slower reflexes, etc.

Big and bulky? Check. Heavy? Duh! Only 8 rounds you assert? Ooookayyy. Need to dress appropriately for it? :censored: schrraight! Dis ain't no pipsqueak, piss-ant pocket "piece." This is a growed-up, serious, big boy, Bill Jordan-esque combat handgun. Only better. With a round butt, gold-bead front sight, and an action that just may be smoother than my Colt Python's, this is may just supplant several others!

This is one handgun that will not require my skills as a 'smith to clean-up the action. DA trigger pull is smooooooth!

For those enthralled with those injection-molded-polymer-framed semi-autos, try an all-steel anachronism sometime and be surprised at the evolution of these wheelguns.

2. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Love to, guess I'll start saving now!

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  3. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

Amen Brother! I learned a new word ANACHRONISM. I had to look it up, it defines me!

RockinU, BigNug45 and FL Woods Bum like this.
  4. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

In order of pocket concealment beginning with the most concealable. Larry Seecamp .32, colt mustang series 80, s&w 38 special 442. I EDC the S&W 442 in my gear bag daily to work in the event I get an assignment to be the "bait" or need to dress down to extreme blend in clothing.

5. callelk

callelk Loaded Pockets

During the winter this is my everyday carry as I wear a long sleeve shirt and jacket. Model of 1950 (M22 .45) with half-moon clips and a Roy's original at the 4:00 position.

During the summer it is typically a PPK or flat Commander.

[​IMG]

6. Stinger

Stinger Banned

Well, nowadays, I don't usually carry a revolver; but, there was a time when that's all I used. Recently had surgery on one of my hands; and I'm having trouble working with semi-auto slides. So I've been carrying one of these. It's a 357 Magnum, Ruger, SP-101 w/ a 3" barrel, Hogue Monogrip, and an action job by Chuck Lutz.

I can shoot double-action just fine; but I prefer to use an exposed hammer spur for those longer shots. I grabbed these photos off the net; but the gun shown is a carbon copy of what my wife usually carries. I got lucky and found a, 'Belt-Snap' holster for her. It's made by Jeff Hays in Colorado Springs, and fits the SP-101 perfectly! (It snaps onto and off the belt very quickly, too.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The, 'Belt-Snap' Holster, (Shown with Jeff's SP-101.) My wife loves this holster; and so do I.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Stinger, May 17, 2014
    nick nitro and Wishoot like this.
  7. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I used to carry an LCR, but I really needed something for absolute discreet carry. While the LCP was 100% reliable and I was pretty accurate with it too, I sold it and got an LCP for discreet carry.

Still have a 4" GP100 and 2 3/4" Security Six that I'll carry OWB when I need to put a smile on my face.

8. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Lovely piece! :) I'm just considering to buy this gun and I'm curious - do you still carry this one? :)

Tyrolee likes this.
  9. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I still have a couple of wheel guns lying around, but my "lightweight" rig of SW 442, Federal 125 Nyclads and Fobus paddle with a piece of kydex velcroed to the back for a skin protector doesn't get used very much...I can shoot the G42 or G17 so much more accurately at any distance

[​IMG]

10. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Definitely a neat piece, but no, I no longer carry it and in fact, decided to sell it to fund my next carry gun. Funny thing, I wanted to go back to magazine-fed semi-autos for speed of reloading (XDs-45), but eventually sold that and went back to revolvers (Ruger LCR-357) :oops:. I guess I can't make up my mind! Oh well...

11. Redneck Bear

Man needs to explore, didn't he? :)
    Anyway, I'm looking for my first gun - something I could carry concealed should I need that AND would still be at least a little fun at the range. I was always looking at CZ-75 (compact or remi) or Glock 19 but with the new :censored::censored::censored: EU "anti-terrorism" anti-legal-gun-ownership legislation being forced by the European Commission I'm afraid all we would have left here in my central Europe country (before the EC decides it's helping the terrorists too) would be revolvers and hunting rifles. I think there's still hope - on the other hand, out Interior Minister can screw us right this Saturday so we'll see - and even if he votes against the EC law I don't see that much hope in European Parliament voting ... :( I don't understand how can they (EC) say legal guns help terrorism with straight faces ... :stomp: Especially after quite recent Paris and Brussels events. Sorry for my rambling. :cold:
    Anyway, I started venturing into the six-shooter area and seeing the Rhino 200DS at YankeeMarshall's and Hickok45's channels I kinda liked it. :)

Last edited by Redneck Bear, Jun 7, 2016
    LivingUpNorth likes this.
  12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You state that as if it is a necessarily difficult circumstance.;) Several decades ago, revolvers & long arms were the only firearms readily available to the general public. Some of us that remember that didn't feel any less armed then and I carry a modern 8-shot revolver today instead of those plastic pieces many of you have become enamored. I'll fight anyone carrying any hi-capacity pistol with my revolvers.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  13. Redneck Bear

I know you're right about this. :) But we are able to buy revolvers AND pistols now and, as a person who likes pistols more and wanted a Glock, I would feel quite limited should the law pass. Especially because the law is basically useless. Having said that I can add I'm sure I would be perfectly happy with a nice revolver. :)

14. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

SW 649 for me.... also have the 638 for "light" days (IDK what it is, there's something about the heft of the 649 that appeals to me).

[​IMG]

Can't carry my Glocks ever since switched to AIWB for access, deep concealment, and comfort. Anyways, I tend to shoot revolvers better :).

15. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I retired 10 years ago and now I can carry whatever I want, so my daily carry is a S&W M-642 and occasionally a M-638.

16. cbgold

cbgold Empty Pockets

S&W 627 Performance Center 2.6 in barrel. 8 shots 357. Heavier then a J Frame but carries well. Shoots like a dream. Also carry one 5 star speed loader.

LivingUpNorth and 0dBm like this.
  17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I have resigned to not acquire anymore firearms; however this may make me strongly reconsider! The craftsmanship is simply superb.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  18. Sinkhole

Sinkhole Loaded Pockets

I mostly carry a semi auto of some kind, usually my M&P9c, but from time to time i carry my Ruger SP101 3"

[​IMG]

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What prompts you to carry it on occasion?

20. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Ruger LCR .38 since I moved to a quieter town. 5 is enough for me, but sometimes I'll carry a speed strip in my coin pocket. I'm considering going back to a single-stack 9mm at some point since there are so many amazing options out there now.