1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone have the perfect keychain tape measure?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by toddtheknifegeek, Sep 16, 2010.

1. toddtheknifegeek

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

I need a quality 3 foot tape for my work key chain. I usually carry a stanley, but I go through a several a year. Anyone know of a good quality one that can be put on a key chain?

2. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

I don't have any real input, except to possibly help others to help you more effectively.

Would a laser measuring device suit your purpose?

3. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

This is something I'd like to have as well. I'm a sand and grass volleyball player ... and at times I need a good, micro-miniature tape measure that could help me accurately lay the lines down before play (indoor and outdoor courts have different measurements). Like the original poster asked for, 3' would be fine. So would 10' for my specific needs.

While laser measuring devices have their use, I can think of a lot of special measuring circumstances that it would not be useful.

4. keymaster

keymaster Loaded Pockets

I don't have a mini tape measure, but there is a 3' Starrett chrome mini tape measure on ebay that looks good for a keychain. An alternate solution might be a tailor's tape measure. It won't retract, but it won't break either. Plus you could cut it to whatever size you need.

In the 10' range Lee Valley a steel jig tape that might work. They also have a 3' keychain tape, but it is probably no better than a Stanley.

5. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Lowe's sells 3 footers for a buck. I used to use one for work. They sell them near the key maker, and the registers.

6. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have a 10' tape measure that I purchased at Ace Hardware years ago. The tape itself is 1/4" wide and the tape measure box is 1.75" square x 3/16" thick. The tap is metal, the box is plastic. It has no keychain attachment, but it should not be hard to fabricate one and glue to the box. I don't keep it on my keychain, but I do carry it in my pocket. Over the years, it's seen a good bit of use, but no heavy use at any one time or period, so I can't vouch for its durability under hard and constant use. I don't even know if Ace carries them anymore. The only information on it, other than the Ace brand and the notation that it is a 10', 1/4" tape is the number - perhaps a model number - 2137909.

7. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Stanley used to make a small, 10' tape measure. I like mine so much, I keep looking for another, but apparently they aren't made anymore. Sounds much like Saniterra's above, but the Stanley has a metal case. Not exactly tiny, but light, and with a ΒΌ"-wide tape, very thin and pocketable; it wouldn't be out of place on a keychain, although I don't believe it has an attachment point.

8. cpodbob

cpodbob Empty Pockets

i have a zippo tape i love it carried it for years looks new
    and if it does break send it in and they will fix it

9. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Well, for the cool factor, the tape at Cabelas looks to win hands down. I'm not sure, though, if it would be as function as any of the others. Somehow, I can see it collecting pocket lint and dirt and the reel handle looks as if it could be uncomfortable.

10. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

Thanks RdRogers! Great suggestions ...

11. benjisimon

benjisimon Loaded Pockets

While it won't fit the durability requirement the original poster mentioned, my favorite EDC measuring tape is the one they offer free at Ikea.

It's paper, so it folds up flat and is invisible in my wallet. It's 3 feet, so it's a useful length. You can write on it or trim it as needed. And they are free, so you can toss it out and replace it with a new one painlessly.

Perfect for the occasional use.

I keep meaning to add this as my contribution to the what you carry but no one else does thread.

12. BobM

BobM Empty Pockets

I like the Stanley even with the same problem as the OP, I break them frequently but what I found is I would rather carry the lighter plastic housing type for weight then the heavier steel chrome ones that might last longer.

13. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i pickup'd a 10 foot keychain tape measure for 99 cents at harbor freight ,,it covered in a rubber shroud and the body is plastic,,
    i didnt expect it to last long at all,,but i have been it often and its still ticking,,,even the lock is working... its light and a tad smaller than the stanley version ,,same idea basically..