1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have experience with the Fenix E05?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Knifestyle, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Knifestyle

Knifestyle Loaded Pockets

After several years of carrying a launch-week EO1 from 2009, it finally simply died after a couple years of constantly coming apart on my keychain even with a swivel loop attached. Talking to Fenix, their warranty won't cover it but they offered me 35% off any light from their store. Needing a keychain light, the EO5 seems like the likely candidate as I simply do not trust another E01 even at their current price of $7. Does anyone have issues or experience with the E05? Does the head twist off in the pocket? Any longevity issues?

2. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I've had the e05 on my key chain for about a year now and have been pretty pleased with it. It's been plenty bright with one exception detailed in another thread. I'm still not sure I want to spend the money to upgrade it for something I might only need a few times per year.

I haven't had any problems with the head coming off.

3. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I replaced the single mode E05 for the 3 mode 2014 E05 shortly after they came on the market... I carry it on a key ring, and not a swivel ( that may be causing your problem with the head unscrewing) I get better wear from the anodizing on the E05s than the E01

[​IMG]

4. HCFXJ

HCFXJ Loaded Pockets

I had my 2014 3 mode E05 couple months now on swivel it's handy an plenty bright for what it is.[​IMG]

dml24 and Water-Rat like this.
  5. Knifestyle

Knifestyle Loaded Pockets

I added a swivel months back when I made a topic solely about this dang light and its head coming off all the time, every time I'd find the empty light I'd hope the head was lost so I could replace it...Then it would turn up along with a dead battery usually. Then it simply died on me finally. Fenix assured me they are now 'beefier' but even for $7 I'm debating these for smaller first aid kits.

6. Bander124

Bander124 Loaded Pockets

My E05 replaced my E01 about 3 yrs ago. Ive carried on my key chain everyday since use it daily as well havnt had a single problem with it. Just my .02$

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

7. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Love it. As reliable as the Arc AAA p and e01 I've had on my keys for years.

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'd get the E05 and not give it a second thought. I think you will love it. It is not quite as efficient as the E01, but it have a much better beam, better CRI, and has alternate levels.

There's also the E15, if you're interested in CR123 lights and consider that a keychain light (some people do).

9. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

A light that lasted 7 years hanging on your keys really isn't that bad. I wouldn't necessarily rule out another E01 for that, but they have other offerings to suit you as well.

You can't really argue with the E05...good brightness, efficiency and seems durable.

I strongly considered it but ultimately settled on the Fenix UC01 because it's tiny, decently bright and has a simple one button switch. I liked the E05, but I figured a single button versus a twisty would be more convenient for me.

I won a Fenix CL05 a few months back and since purple wasn't my thing I gave to my wife for her keys. They make a blue one too and though it's more of a mini lantern, it's still a cool light: 3 color modes, constant and blinking and SOS. Not really for throw, but still handy nonetheless.

10. RVPhil

RVPhil Loaded Pockets

I had 6 E05s. One on every key chain. Now I'm down to 2. Mostly heads breaking. As the break I'm replacing with a Surefire Titan. Much happier with the Surefire.

11. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I have had the 3 mode E05 on my key carrier for quite a while. The E05 is my most frequently used EDC light. Bright enough for many tasks and easy to care for and feed.

12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have an E05 that I like a lot. It's been demoted from my daily carry but not because there's anything wrong with it.

dml24 likes this.
  13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have had an e05 in my pocket since they came out and absolutely love it - compared to the e01 it is a far, far nicer beam in terms of colour, beam and output (a useful brightness, without being over the top). I haven't had any issues with mine, though if it makes any difference it has always been carried loose in a pocket rather than tied to anything.
    Comparing my e05 against the e01 I have it does have a tighter head, which would be good given your needs (though as always, I am comparing a couple of e05's against one e01, so I don't know how much variation there will be).

The biggest problem I have is that Fenix went an 'upgraded' the light - I bought the original as I much prefer the simple one mode UI over the more complicated three mode LD01 I carried before, then they went and released a new model giving it exactly the feature I bought the original to get away from... As an obvious consequence of being discontinued I can't seem to find any (shipped to the UK) for a decent price which is a bit of an annoyance, so finger crossed I don't lose or break mine anytime soon...

Either way, if you like the UI and the build is like my first generation one then it seems like a good bet - definitely worth the money in my eyes.

14. Streamer

Streamer Empty Pockets

Heads twisting off of lights in your pocket is easily fixable. Wrap enough rounds of Teflon tape around the male threads and re-insert head into/onto the tube. If not tight enough wrap some more. E Z P Z

Last edited by Streamer, Aug 12, 2016
    turbo6 likes this.
  15. pointoflight

pointoflight Loaded Pockets

It's one of the great single aaa lights in the 20 buck range. There are many.

dml24 likes this.
  16. pointoflight

pointoflight Loaded Pockets

A great choice for a keychain light imo is the olight i3e. One setting and twist on/off. Get the silver one. I think it's about 120 lumens. Great deal for 13.00. It may be the smallest and lightest aaa light under 20 bucks.

17. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Never had a problem with the head twisting off in my pocket. The head on my E05 is tight enough that it never turns itself on or fall off inside the pocket.

Just a question for you. It the pocket a tight fit, and do you carry anything along with the light in the same pocket??

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

If the head keeps twisting off in your pocket, I suspect your pants may be too tight, and the light is getting pinched between the inner and outer layers of fabric that the pocket is made from.

Anyway, I've had a couple of the old single-mode E05s for years, and I think they're great. I elected to not upgrade to the 3-mode version because I'm not a fan of multi-twist user interfaces.

19. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I agree with deusxaethera, if you pants are tight or the pocket small and tight that is about the only way the head of an E05 could loosen enough to either turn on or fall off.

I purchased the E05 specifically for the three way twist UI. I found it intuitive and easy to use.
    The low and medium settings are the most frequently used. Battery life is very good for an AAA light.

Very happy to have the E05 as the number one EDC light.