1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have any experience with this suunto watch?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by quadrille, May 31, 2012.

1. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

2. t0mcat

t0mcat Loaded Pockets

changed mine after 2 years of use (check baro daily, use light fairly much, compass little less)

3. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I think you have the models mixed up. The Core you linked to use 2032 coin cell and will last a year or two depends on how much you use the compass. 50 hours is for the new Ambit which is a USB rechargeable GPS watch, and that's for GPS on all the time, otherwise it's two weeks or so.

4. Soup dragon

Soup dragon Loaded Pockets

My brother has a Suunto watch with heart rate monitor and is very happy with it. Not seen this model though.

I am weighting up the Garmin Forerunner for running and cycling heart rate monitoring. The GPS models seem pretty clever devices.

5. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

I have a Core, much like the one you linked to but with a traditional face instead of the white on black. (Which can actually be hard to read in a lot of light) I only got about six months out of my last battery, but admittedly I'm using cheapo batteries that come in a two pack from the Japanese $1.50 store. Better 2032s will probably last a year or two, I just keep a spare in my pack and my EDC bag.

6. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

Easy to replace? How about the watch itself good functionality ?

7. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Yeah, you can open the back hatch with a quarter and change the battery. Functionality, well it depends on what you are expecting. If you know the limitations of such a device yes it does what it should do very well.

8. Firepoint

Firepoint Loaded Pockets

I have the regular one, not the blacked out version. It's large. It's capable, but it's so accurate, you have to calibrate it all the time for it to work properly. The compass is very sensitive, your body heat throws off the temperature sensor, and big weather changes affect the altimeter. I like it, but if you are looking for a novelty style watch with fun functionality this one will frustrate you. The battery life is not an issue. You won't be changing batteries every week. You don't use the compass and altimeter functions continuously.

9. B_H_

B_H_ Loaded Pockets

i owned this exact watch for about 3 years, less then a year and a half after buying it it needed new batteries and i just never got around to changing them. its cool but ultimately for me a novelty. i have equipment that gives me better/more accurate readings. when a buddy commented on how much he'd always wanted one, i gave him mine. and he wears it everyday. i have been in planes with it and without very many calibrations it always seemed pretty acurate. underwater as well, i found it very acurate overall.

10. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I don't have that model, I have the Vector. It is a few weeks shy of it 10th birthday. I can only remember that because my wife and oldest son gave it to me on my first father's day. Fantastic timepiece.

Battery lasts about a year, give or take. Longer if you don't use all the features every day. I keep backup batteries under the patches on various bags/gear, so one is usually near by. Like jzmtl said, you can use a quarter to open the battery compartment. I've even used the new battery to get in there and the old battery to close it up.

I'd have to agree with what Firepoint said, but I differ in that I never found that resetting the altimeter at known elevations to be that big of a deal. Any altimeter that uses barometric pressure has the same "flaw". Neither is "zeroing" the compass isn't a big deal, really; and you only need to do it if you haven't done it in a long while (better safe than sorry) or after you toss in a new battery. And any thermometer will be affected by body heat when it is contact with your body.

Bottom line, I would not hesitate to buy another Suunto.

11. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

A lot of people complain about the thermometer in these watches, however the real purpose of it is to keep other sensors calibrated, so measures watch temperature, aka your wrist.

12. Bishop2Queen's6

Bishop2Queen's6 Loaded Pockets

I owned a Suunto Core. I had the same model as you linked, without the GPS, a Suunto Core with ABC (Alt, baro, compass) features.

I used mine regularly, I mean. I wore it almost everyday. The alarm was what woke me in the morning, I calibrated the altimeter every day. It was a good strong watch. My issue with it was that the face was hard to read in bright daylight, and the backlight at night was dim, but even with all this heavy use I was changing the battery every 3 months so not too often. I was always afraid of scratching the face though, but I owned it for 4 years and had no real issue. My lifestyle changed and I couldn't spend as much time outdoors using the watch to its full potential so it sat in my drawer collecting dust until I returned it to REI for store credit.

13. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

REI return policy FTW!