1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have any experience with eVent fabrics?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by shrap, Nov 10, 2008.

1. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I noted that there's a new competitor for waterproof/breathable fabrics: eVent fabrics. Anyone had much experience with it?

I noted that REI has jackets in the new fabric, claimed to be so breathable they don't need pit zips (which sounds like a weird way to cut costs). That isn't much news in itself (the industry loves to push out new technologies), but TAD Gear's new hardshells also use eVent, which is a completely different market. So is this new stuff worth trying out? I've never been amazed with Goretex.

2. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

As you say its pretty new, but I know Tadgear have been looking forward to using it! So I guess that it is something worth checking out!

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I have chaps, that are made of eVent ripstop fabric. I know, the link says Cutan Trias, but the ones I got are actually eVent. I bought them so I'd have something light and packable, that I can simply pull over my work pants when I cycle to work on rainy days. But I haven't yet had a chance to really put them to the test, so I can't say how well they work. I did try wearing them indoors over my TDUs (yes, they fit over cargo pants) for almost an hour and didn't feel sweaty at all. I'll try to give you a report after I have actually used them in the rain.

4. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

As I understand it e Vent was devised by people who'd "defected" from Goretex & many circles are touting eVent as "better than Goretex".
    At the moment, its still very new & unproven, so the big manufacturers like Berghaus & TNF are still using Goretex, but I think youll see more & more companies using eVent in the next year or so.
    We sell eVent garments at my store but the Goretex stuff is still the most popular.

5. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

I remember when eVent was launched. Performance was meant to have been on a par with Gore Tex XCR, but at a cheaper price. At the time, one of the early adopters was Lowe Alpine, but they seem to be back in the Gore Tex camp.

The problem for eVent is that Gore Tex is so well known amongst the public, so outdoor clothing manufacturers seem to be sticking with Gore Tex.

I don't have any jackets in eVent so I haven't been able to properly compare the 2. I do have 2 pairs of hiking shoes, one lined with eVent and the other with Gore Tex XCR. Can't say I've noticed much difference.

It would be nice if eVent made it more into the market. A little competition for Gore Tex wouldn't do any harm.

6. jsmith008

jsmith008 Loaded Pockets

eVent is an extremely breathable fabric that we should be seeing a lot more of as manufacturers start to pick it up. Until recently, from what I have heard, it had been fairly expensive to make and Gore-Tex was a hard name to compete with. Now, however, with some larger companies (REI being one of them) beginning to use the fabric in wide release, it is beginning to catch on. I have used it, and own several jackets and boots made with eVent, and it is VERY breathable. Significantly more so than Gore-Tex proshell, even better than Gore-Tex paclite. Initially there was a concern that it was so breathable that under pressure it may not maintain its complete waterproofness, this has not seemed to be an issue. I have heard an unconfirmed report that multicam has not used Gore-tex because it does not meet Crye's strict IR signature requirements, but that eVent does. So we might be seeing some multicam eVent stuff soon enough. I think eVent is a big deal, though only time will tell.

The eVent in shoes, such as Keens, is different that the eVent in jackets. Much more on par with XCR.

7. JohnQTaxpayer

JohnQTaxpayer Empty Pockets

eVent rocks. I've got an eVent jacket that is much more breathable than my GoreTex XCR jacket. I haven't abused it much, so I cannot speak to eVent's durability. Ideas that eVent gets clogged up easier (with body oil, dirt, and the like) than GoreTex. As such, it needs to be washed more frequently.

8. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I HAVE spoken to very active outdoors people (climbers, bikers etc) whove actually complained that e Vent does its job rather TOO well & theyve felt cold when they stopped whatever activity they were doing. So it sounds like an insulating layer is more important than when used with GTX

9. jsmith008

jsmith008 Loaded Pockets

I have heard the same, not really complaints though, just a warning to make sure to layer up. I would rather be sweat free than clammy.

10. theotherphil

theotherphil Loaded Pockets

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I found a pretty interesting video whilst searching for my new jacket:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi0DaHQ5ro4

I did end up buying an eVent jacket....a Montane Quickfire and it certainly lives up to the hype. Massively breathable (a ticket attached to the zip said it was more breathable than a cotton T-shirt) and very waterproof. I just got back from an 8 mile run in the snow, warm and dry. In the past, I've used a Gore paclite and generally end up soaking in my own sweat, but at least it stopped me getting wet in the rain :rolleyes:

eVent: It's a big deal :D

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

This sounds great to me! It sounds like the peerfect material for a shell jacket. It could double as a rain coat in the late spring and early fall. I try to do the same with my Jack Wolfskin jacket, but, even with the pit vents open, I still end up getting pretty sweaty inside.

12. zcout

zcout Empty Pockets

Klattermusen used eVent before, but they had problems with it.
    so the switched to use cutan all the way.

but from what i have heard eVent is a great membrane with better ventilation then Gore-tex.
    if tad will use it i am going to get one!

13. tntxfour

tntxfour Empty Pockets

I bought an eVent jacket form 66North on Steap and Cheap a couple of years ago and love it! I can still sweat in it, but it is MUCH more breathable than Gore-tex.

14. glockstersharp

glockstersharp Loaded Pockets

I have the Oakley Mountain boots with eVent and I definitely find them more breathable. However, I have only recently begun to wear these so I'll have to see how these hold up.