1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a Kel-Tec P-3AT or P-32?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by cj797, May 24, 2011.

1. cj797

cj797 Loaded Pockets

I am looking to add a new pocket gun into my collection. I really like the Kel-Tec design on two models. Even though I am a big 9mm fan myself, my Glock 26 is just sometimes too big for summer carry (shorts). If anyone could let me know their personal experience it would be appreciated.

2. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

I had the 3at. Did not care for it. Very prone to rust. Had to send back to mfgr for fluff and buff to fix fail to feed issues. incredibly long trigger pull. I got pretty accurate with it but did not like the sights either. The ballistcs of .380 also turned me off
    I sold it and now carry a SW revolver.

3. badgerv

badgerv Empty Pockets

I owned a P32 and found it to be very accurate and not too uncomfortable to shoot. The only reason I got rid of it was to trade up for another pistol. I have shot a P3AT and did not like it at all. It was all I could do to keep it from jumping out of my hand.

4. Viper715

Viper715 Loaded Pockets

I like my P3AT. Easy to carry, I never know I have it with me it's so small. I bought the extended mags from Kel Tec and have had some FTF issues with them when shooting ball ammo but never with my carry ammo HCD. Nice gun if your looking for something small and will always have it with you.

Best Regard,
    Eric

5. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Easy and comfortable for carry but not to shoot. Get some hours in on it and a few boxes of ammo to make sure it works. Because the grip is so slim, it does take some practice to get a good hand on it. It's not a plinker but with practice you'll hit things with it.
    [​IMG]

6. cj797

cj797 Loaded Pockets

I went and looked at both Keltec's today, and well I found something I like better. The Diamondback DB380. Still undecided, but it's weighing heavily on my mind.

Edit @ 1645 I went back an bought the DB380. Now only a 3 day wait until I can pick it up.

7. Ytailhtr

Ytailhtr Loaded Pockets

I have two Kel-Tec's....the P3AT and the PF9.....I absolutely LOVE mine.....first thing you need to do after buying one is take it home and field strip the gun....do a deep cleaning, then a good oil and lube....take about 100 rounds to the range and feed 'em some lead!.....there may be some hangups here and there, but I tell you it is no big deal...then go home and do another strip and clean....I prefer to do some polishing at this time, since you'll see where everything is contacting.....then feed another 100 thru it and you'll be good to go.....

I admit that both of my guns did not like WWB ammo....but they both eat up and love Remington JHP's....so that is what I use.....100% trust in them now....I have been CCW'ing both for over a year now, with the monthly trips to the country farm to "exercise" them and insure reliability.....

The P3AT is my favorite carry gun, PERIOD....I can carry it anywhere, anytime, anyplace....it is just soooooo stinkin' small....I use an IWB at 3:30-4:00 for deep concealment (10-15% of the time)...and a Fobus paddle, same location, the remaining time (85-90% of the time)...it is on me from bedrise to bedset, 365 days a year.....it is just that comfortable to CCW....never had a rust issue, even thru out the hot summer months in Kansas

So, I say, BUY ONE....run some ammo thru it.....fluff and buff.....and ENJOY the comfort of it...

[​IMG]

8. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

I carry my P3AT in a Hunter pocket holster, have it with me everyday in my front right pocket. Works great. I field stripped it and cleaned it after getting it, then I put 150 rounds of Sellier & Bellot ball ammo through it, followed by 50 rounds Remington Golden Saber. I had 0 FTF. Did make my hand sore the first time out though, but that just because there isn't much to hold on to.

@Ytailhtr, how's the PF9? I've been itching to find a good single stack 9mm and the PF9 looks like it would probably scratch the itch well. Have you found a good IWB or pocket holster? I'm too impatient to order a good High Noon Holster or anything else, I'd rather find something local.

9. cj797

cj797 Loaded Pockets

After looking at some reviews, (some good, some bad on both the Keltec and Diamondback) I think I am going to also buy a P3AT as well. Heck, if I don't like either one, I'll get rid of them. Sounds like I will be taking a run to Cabelas in St Louis tomorrow to pick up some ammunition.....

10. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

A P3AT is my main carry pistol mainly because of the ease of carry. I use the belt clip for it and put it IWB. Mine is an early first generation and had some kinks to work out, but updated parts and wearing in have it reliable. Mine sports a CTC Laserguard.. which is a MUST. Factory "sights" are horrible. I have some traction grips and a finger extension s well. My brother bought a Ruger LCP (Kel Tec fans refer to it as the "Little Copied Pistol") and it's not bad at all. Fit and finish are better than the KelTec for sure. It's a big round for this size/weight of a pistol so it will be a firecracker in your hands. That's just the nature of the beast.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend looking at a Kahr in 9MM. It's a little larger, but takes you to a 9MM which is more powerful and way cheaper in ammo costs. If you do a lot of shooting, the extra cost will work out in ammo savings.

[​IMG]

11. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

P32 owner, 100% reliable..pocket carry in a Nemesis...great little pistol

12. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I carry my p32 all summer in an ankle rig---it is an excellent hot weather carry piece---never a problem.

13. Paddling_Man

Paddling_Man Loaded Pockets

I've got a second gen P3AT that has been a summertime/shorts/deep concealment for four years. It's a basic, inexpensive, uninspiring pistol that I feel no love for... my typical carry preference are single-stack .45s (Glock 36, S&W CS45, S&W 4553TSW) but you know what? It works. The P3AT rides in an Uncle Mike's size 1 Sidekick in my pocket or cargo pocket of shorts when nothing else will do. It's hardly a range gun but at 7 yards it is combat acceptable and reliable. Currently stoked with Pow'R'Ball.

Ugly, inexpensive, unrefined... but it does its job without complaints so I have none either.

14. hussar

hussar Empty Pockets

i have 1st gen p-32 that's 100% reliable. i was going to trade up to a p-3at but after shooting one i decided to stay with the p-32. it has considerably less recoil and a better trigger pull, which, for me, translates to better accuracy and better followup shots. it also has a slide lock and the p-3at doen't. as to the .380 vs the .32, i don't think the greater bullet weight and diameter are that great. i feel that better placement and followup shots are more important, especially with marginal calibers.

15. gl22man

gl22man Empty Pockets

i had a p32 nice gun, i now carry a pf9 when i need something small. both functioned very well no issues with either gun.

16. Arkansas_Ranger

Arkansas_Ranger Empty Pockets

If you're still considering getting the KelTec P3AT or even a PF9 then consider Ruger. They've copied but added in the Ruger improvements on those two models. You can get a Ruger LCP or a Ruger LC9 that are the same size and look very similar (especially the LCP) with a lot more quality and minor difference in price. I say this as a KelTec owner...among other firearms.

Regardless, as someone above noted, the P32, P3AT, and LCP will all fit the Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster. I've got one in my pocket now. It's not expensive at all, but it's actually a good holster. I've been carrying this one both on and off-duty since 2006. It's padded, L-shaped design conceals the profile of the pistol, and it features a tacky, rubbery strip that prevents the holster from being snatch out of the pocket when the pistol is drawn.

17. cj797

cj797 Loaded Pockets

Thank you. I actually bought a Diamondback DB380, and I am going to purchase a P-32 next week. The DB380 is currently in a Desantis Nemisis that fits wonderful in a pocket. I will have to try an Uncle Mikes for the P-32. I have a IWB Unvle Mikes for my Glock 26 and it is very comfortable. I haven't had the issues with the DB380 that others have had, and I plan to do a video review of it soon. I am looking forward to seeing how a P-32 feels when fired compared to the DB380.

18. DTM_Oskar

DTM_Oskar Loaded Pockets

I was looking at the DB380 for a while, very cool little gun! The pk380 is where im headed once i turn 21 though but the DB will probably be the next 380 after that.

19. homebrw

homebrw Loaded Pockets

I had one of the first p32s and sold it to get one of the first p3ats. I love mine, and don,t fret over banging it around or losing it like my Kimber compact custom or G36. Also the first rule of a gunfight is to bring a gun, and this thing is super easy to pocket. I also use an Uncle Mikes in the pocket holster, and it prints just like a wallet. Can't say enough good about how easy it is to carry. I'd go with the 380 over the 32 any day. Same size bigger bang.
    Chris

20. luckyadjustments

luckyadjustments Loaded Pockets

I second checking out the ruger lcp. I feel as though it is higher quality than the keltec. And if your life depends on it, the price difference shouldn't matter.