1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a 'casual' first aid kit in their bag?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Knifestyle, Apr 30, 2020.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I carry a small 'boo-boo' kit seperate from my IFAK, to make things easier to find especially if I'm rooting through my IFAK in a hurry.

This is the kit I carry in my EDC bag.
    [​IMG]IMG_20200719_220857797 by Tom johnston, on Flickr

The case is possibly a bit larger that I need, but it does the job well and I have the space.

[​IMG]IMG_20200719_220908981 by Tom johnston, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_20200719_221009168 by Tom johnston, on Flickr

-Various band-aids, including hydrocolloid ones
    -Wound cleaning wipes (Saline, alcohol and iodine)
    -Iodine swab sticks
    -Styptic swabs (Stops bleeding well on small, stubborn cuts)
    -Antiseptic cream
    -Tape (micropore and athletic)
    -Bandage
    -Saline

I could probably take the saline out. The safety pins I don't typically use with the bandage since I don't find it works very well and tying a knot in the bandage works much better IMO. They are used for popping blisters though.

[​IMG]IMG_20200719_221104857 by Tom johnston, on Flickr

- Non sterile gauze (for mopping up)
    - Dressings, including hydrocolloid and vaseline soaked
    - Steri strips
    - Scissors
    - Tweezers
    - Tongue depressors for makeshift splints

This kit works pretty well for the smaller stuff and covers most situations I run across.

For meds, I store them seperately for ease.

[​IMG]IMG_20200719_221311593 by Tom johnston, on Flickr

In an old pill bottle I keep
    -Paracetamol/acetaminofen
    -Ibuprofen
    -Buscopan
    -Loratadine
    -Cold and flu relief
    -Glycerin suppository
    -Bisacodyl Suppositery
    -Caffeine
    -Travel sickness
    -Electrolytes
    -Aspirin

I also have a smaller kit for when I don't have my bag. It fits into a jacket/trouser pocket

[​IMG]IMG_20200719_221605622 by Tom johnston, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_20200719_221645416 by Tom johnston, on Flickr

-Dressings
    -Steri strips
    -Band-aids
    -Tape
    -Cleaning wipes
    -Burn gel

Having multiple kits makes it easier to grab the right one for the job

FiaOlleDog, rdisom and twin63 like this.
  2. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

This is what I carry in my work bag. Use my old SwissTech tin. Not much in the way of first aid, but I find myself actually needing the medicines more often anyway, and I’m rarely far from a legit FAK. The burn ointment and sting wipes have come in handy too.

[​IMG]

FiaOlleDog and twin63 like this.
  3. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I have to go very light weight. I carry in my work bag: Tylenol, a few 3/4in. x 3in. bandages, and a few cleaning towelettes.

GRH likes this.
  4. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Well, I'm not sure if this counts as a casual FAK ... at least it has found its place in my setup.

There has been a gap between my true EDC kit (link) and my "traveling & visit-large-cities" trauma kit (Israeli pressure bandage, TQ, chest seals, trauma sheers, z-folded gauze) - for those outdoor / sport activities occasions that require more than a band-aid and less than an Israeli/TQ.

I have addressed this gap with a €3,- ($3.50) kit from Lidl (a German-based discounter), that seems to be sold once a year in May/June, called "Kalff Sensiplast Erste Hilfe Kit 38-teilig". It contains all what one would "normally" need, for a fantastic price point.

Update: there is also a YT review of it.

I added a pair of Nitril gloves (in addition to the included Vinyl ones), a triangle bandage, a tick remover card, some 4"x4" band-aid, eyewash, tweezers, burn gel and adhesive skin closures.

This FAK (14cmx9cmx7cm/232g ~ 5.5"x3.5"x2.8"/8.2oz) goes into my pack for any outdoor/sports activity (besides my EDC, and a small trauma kit w/SWAT-T TQ & mylar blanket). As this is layman-proof (no trauma stuff, no medicine) I would not hesitate to lend it to someone i meet on the trail or while bike trekking.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Aug 24, 2020
    #24 FiaOlleDog, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    twin63 likes this.
  5. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

I keep a first aid kit in my vehicles and one in each of my hiking packs (two large day packs, two small lumbar packs), and a couple of Band-Aids and generic Neosporin packets in my wallet (habit formed when my boys were kids). I also keep a couple Aleve and Benadryl in a little tiny pill capsule on my keychain.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  6. Blue_cat_333

Blue_cat_333 Loaded Pockets

I keep a small boo-boo kit in my bag all the time. I found this Youtube channel early on in EDC days and this particular video caught my attention...

The kit I carry is built off a small $0.99 Bandaid brand first aid kit that I added to (purchased at Wally World). Overall, the kit is pretty packed but the box still closes and shuts.

I will add that when I add any OTC medication to a kit I always use a small pack of pre-packaged medication. I do this so if I am giving the medication to someone else they can see that it is in a sealed package with an expiration date. I usually purchase these from local gas stations and stock them in my boo-boo kits or first aid kits.

FiaOlleDog and twin63 like this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I have boo boo stuff and meds in an Altoids tin and a small rip away Maxped pouch with gloves, questionably effective CPR mask, TQ, Chest seal, compression dsg, and packing gauze.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  8. nursetim 40

nursetim 40 Loaded Pockets

I carry new skin spray.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  9. FiaOlleDog

Does this help women over 40? If yes, please let me know brand & type and I can score big points at Christmas with a perfect gift for my wife :rofl: SCNR!

Seriously, good point. Is this like a bandaid-to-spray? Or does it help skin to heal faster?

10. nursetim 40

nursetim 40 Loaded Pockets

Liquid bandaid

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  11. FiaOlleDog

Have added this to my larger first aid kit, called "Pflaster Spray" (translates to: band-aid spray).

12. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I keep a few ibuprofen in a pill fob on my keychain, two band aids and a single use tube of super glue on me at all times.

13. MORT

MORT Loaded Pockets

Went to Walmart, bought four of their $8.00 first aid kits. One in each car, day bag and travel kit, and then prey that I'll never need them.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  14. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

I'm a first aid nerd that taught Red Cross first aid for years. I've got lots of kits for different purposes.

WALLET: A couple bandages (biggish, good adhesive), alcohol wipe packet or two. Mostly to keep small wounds from bleeding on stuff or getting dirty.

EVERYDAY BAG: Basic pocket size kit sometimes with a few meds, repair items, a scalpel blade, good tweezers, etc. This kit is mostly meant to deal with daily owies or annoyances.

My bigger kits are home and car based, and the car kit can be quickly converted to a field kit with some trauma supplies.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  15. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

Two bandaids in my wallet.