1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a 'casual' first aid kit in their bag?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Knifestyle, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Knifestyle

Knifestyle Loaded Pockets

Looking for thoughts or examples on the simple 'boo-boo' kits people have, not for trauma or heavy wilderness care. We're talking for around the office or out and about, minor ouch moments or nice things to have in case of an itch or scratch. Looking for nice things to keep on hand, ideal soft containers that keep things organized, and ideally in a bright color that doesn't scream trauma or emergency?

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  2. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

While it does contain a few trauma items, I do keep a Personal FAK on hand in my EDC bag, along with a more specific Trauma FAK as well.

Lateck likes this.
  3. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I carry a basic kit in my pocket organizer in a small ziploc bag. It contains:
    - steri-strips
    - 2x2 gaize
    - a few various size bandaids
    - blister cover
    - individually wrapped topicals - iodine, alcohol, antibiotic ointment, burn gel, calagen (anti-itch)
    - single dose of otc - antihistamine, anti-diarrheal, antiacid, goodys
    I also have a separate mini trauma kit that is separate

If your looking for a ready to go kit, Adventure Medical and Rescue Essentials have some good small ones.

#4 SOS24, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
  5. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I posted mine to a thread a few years back, so here are the shots again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I keep an Altoids tin boo boo kit in my laptop bag. A couple of bandaids, blister pads, a couple of Alieve, immodium and Sudafed. I have used it many times. I once went to a client meeting with a female colleague and as were standing in the lobby she realized her leg was bleeding from her morning shave. When I whipped out an alcohol prep pad and bandaid from the Altoids tin she was surprised but happy

7. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

8. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Well, in my EDC pouch (which goes with me also when no messenger bag or backpack is suitable) contains such items.

I'll list them asap. Update: here we go.

medicine in daily-/single-servings (German trade names marked in italic):
    • magnesium granule (250mg), to prevent/ease muscle cramps
    • salt sachet (taken from fast food restaurant), after massive sweating or to add some taste to your meal on the go (for the same reason I also carry a single pepper sachet)
    • 2 TALCID (hydrotalcite) tablets, to treat acid reflux
    • 2 DOLORMIN (Ibuprofen 400mg) tablets, for headache or other pains
    • 2 ASPIRIN EFFECT (acetylsalicylic acid 500mg) granule, for headache or other pains as well for blood thinning
    • 2 VOMEX (dimenhydrinate), to treat nausea / prevent vomiting
    • 2 GRIPOSTAD C (paracetamol and coffee), to treat a common cold
    • 6 IMODIUM AKUT LINGUAL (loperamide hydrochloride) to immediately treat diarrhea
    Note to myself: add one dextrose (Dextro Energy) tablet to help with low sugar level.

first aid (boo-boo-kit style):
    • small- and medium-sized band-aids
    • blister bandage
    • 2"x3" gauze pad
    • 2 alcohol wipes, for cleaning skin around wounds
    Note to myself: replenish wound closure band-aids and Bitepatch Mosquito Bite Relief Patch.

FYI: I've added an URIEL trauma bandage (works also as a pressure bandage and may work as a TQ), plus eight medical tape strips (for a make-shift chest seal) - so my EDC pouch is both a boo-boo kit and first dose of medicine as well as a better-than-nothing trauma kit.
    The added Swiss+Tech Micro-Max® 19-in-1 mini multitool and a book of matches complement the setup and enhance the capability into on-the-fly craftsmanship and 'survial' :D

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, May 5, 2020
    #8 FiaOlleDog, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  9. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's got pain killer, for diarrhea, hyper acidty, allergy
    I have almost run out of pain killers but will replenish soon.

Not shown: Asian Menthol oil (Axe brand), Wetwipes and Hand Sanitizer

nursetim 40, Lateck, ran23 and 2 others like this.
  10. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Helikon-Tex pocket med insert in addition to a small trauma kit. I like the organization and size (roughly 4.5 x 5.5 inches). Ideal for carrying band aids, moleskin, single use ointments, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

volvoboy and RogerStenning like this.
  11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Oooo, that's a NEAT little kit carrier :) Been looking for something like that for my BASK (Bumps and Scrapes Kit). Thanks for the heads up :D

twin63 likes this.
  12. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

UST makes a couple of really basic booboo kits in a hard plastic, o-ring-sealed case. The 1.0 is basically just some bandages, a little gauze, and some tape, while the 2.0 adds burn cream, antibiotic ointment, aspirin, acetaminophen, and some other things. They're both dirt cheap and can be found at box stores like WalMart. I think the 1.0 is around $5. Never seen the 2.0 kit in stores but it runs about $12 on Amazon, and honestly I think it's probably the easiest inexpensive way to equip a person who does not otherwise have a first aid kit.

I acquired a similar container and built my own booboo kit with bandages of various sizes, a few gauze pads, a pair of nitrile gloves, a few antiseptic wipes, tube of anitbiotic cream and some q-tips. It's not much but it covers basic issues and it's in a waterproof container so I never worry about the bandages getting wet. The qtips came in handy after a trip to a waterpark one summer with my brother and nephews and they didn't think to bring any.

The UST containers aren't particularly durable though. While the container I built my kit in is not from UST it's clearly from the same Chinese factory, and when I got it out while making this post I see the case is all cracked up; this thing just sits in my EDC pack under no real pressure but apparently that was enough to crack it. So that's something to consider, and now I'm in the market for a more durable container. But that's okay, the kit needed revising anyway.

For a basic booboo kit I'd say the following are good things to have, in whatever quantity makes you feel comfortable.

large 2" bandages for large scrapes
    3/4" and 1/2" bandages for minor scrapes, cuts, & burns
    knuckle bandages
    gauze, either in 2x2 or 4x4 pads, or rolls
    medical tape (to hold down gauze, and sometimes bandages need a little help)
    antiseptic wipes (either alcohol, iodine or BZK)
    antibiotic cream
    burn gel
    Qtips
    finger cots (for waterproofing a bandaged finger in a wet environment)
    nitrile gloves (because safety)
    good tweezers (if you dont carry them elsewhere)
    good medical scissors (if you dont carry them or a knife elsewhere)

I dont include any meds in my first aid kit because I carry them separately: your mileage may vary.

I think that's enough to cover most of the minor issues one would consider a 'booboo.' If this kit wont take care of the problem then odds are you need your trauma kit anyway. And I do have a bigger trauma kit in my truck, built inside a Condor Rip Away EMT pouch. The big 8"x8" one. I've got quite a bit of stuff in there as it serves as both a trauma kit and primary booboo kit when I'm camping.

Truthfully though, from my experience, you should find a premade kit that covers most of what you're looking for and then just add to it. After building my trauma kit I found I could have bought a similar kit, in the same pouch, for less than what I had in it. Of course, doing it my way means I have a whole hall closet full of medical supplies to restock my kit with, so there's that.

Lastly, whether building your own kit or adding to a premade, I've found that the single-use packages of medications are better than trying to pack bottles and tubes. You can get stuff like that here.

ran23 likes this.
  13. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I used to make them but I got lazy. I carry one of the small premade kits off Amazon. Pretty complete and comes in a red zippered fabric pouch. Cheaper than buying the pocket organizer I was considering making into one. Added a couple upgrades like a sharp SAK classic and I'm good to go. around 14 dollars. 100 items even includes safety pins.

Grizz

jcombs likes this.
  14. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

This.
    I have a couple of these inexpensive FAK in various day bags but keep a larger, more complete kit in a truck bag.
    These cheapies won’t cover every situation but are hard to beat for the money and have been handy to have.

15. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I keep a couple of BandAids in my wallet, and I keep ibuprofen and various other pills in bottles pretty much everywhere (vehicle, office, bedroom, bathroom).

In my "EDC bag," I have a small IFAK, but my "boo boo kit" is an Altoids tin with other portable tablets, bandaids, some various creams and ointments in the individual foil packets. There's some 2x2" gauze, some Cutips, and a small WaterJel packet in there.

16. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

As a follow-up to your post, now I have one too :) It IS a nifty bit of kit, and fits perfectly in the thigh pocket of my 5.11 Tac Lite trousers :) Many thanks indeed for the heads up :D

twin63 likes this.
  17. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

This is my minimalist FAK for small cuts & Ibuprofin that fits is a small Lok-Sak.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I like the idea of the Grease Monkey Wipes; pity we can't get 'em here. Even Grime Boss have stopped doing individual wipes, it seems. I'll have to keep my eyes open for similar kit. Having used Grime Boss wipes (in larger packs, not individual sachets), I can appreciate the need for a larger, industrial cleaning wipe, before an antiseptic wipe is deployed :)

ballistic likes this.
  19. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

They come in handy too if you're a cyclist and need to change a rear flat ;).

RogerStenning likes this.