1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone found any especially nice USB Type C devices/cables?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by WillAdams, Jul 5, 2017.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Just got a Samsung Galaxy Book (and the fabulous Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus) and need to adapt my EDC to take into account its only having a pair of Type C USB ports. (no need for a dongle as on my Toshiba Encore 2 Write).

Things I'd like to find replacements for:

- Corsair USB OTG drive --- USB Type A on one end, Micro B on the other
    - no-name brand set of USB adapters --- had so many that when the phone company failed to bring the right cable when upgrading our phone system, IT came to me, and I loaned them my set and they were able to put together a rig which allowed the phone system to be updated and to run until the correct one could be installed the next day
    - Micro SD card reader

Any suggestions would be welcome, esp. for additional devices I'm not aware of....

#1 WillAdams, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

My Moro Z Force phone has USB-C. What's cool is that there's no top or bottom to locate when inserting. What is uncool is that I have countless Micro USB cables and other devices. So I found a Micro USB to USB-C adapters on Amazon. They work well for charging. I've never attempted data transfer with them.

I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for.

Mudinyeri and kikaida like this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

That's one of the things which I need. Lessee, I want to be able to:

- connect to the DVD/CD-writer --- need a Type C -- Micro B cable
    - connect to my CNC machines --- need a Type C -- B cable (preferably short and w/ ferrite beads and/or wire braid)
    - misc. other adapters as you describe, "just in case"

4. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I'm using the AmazonBasic cables. No complaints so far.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I use and believe in Anker brand cables and adaptors.
    Their battery pack are great too.

Lateck,

6. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

READYSETGO Loaded Pockets

I recommend Tech Armor 3 in 1. Highly useful and I recommend! Has micro ~ USB c ~ and apple lightning. Fits the bill for all my varied family needs. I have one cable in each car so we can all charge. Works great!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Having so many different connectors/cables is a royal pain isn't it, I've heard that the USB style of connector will be axed one day too.What happened to the suggestion of all phones using the same micro USB connector, that would make sense.

At the end of the day it's all about making folk keep coming back for more goods, spending money basically. Personally I refuse to buy the latest expensive phone, laptop or gadget that relies on software etc because it will be out of date/need replacing sooner than you think. I know that the same can be said for all tech gadgets but at least opting for the lower/mid range models lessens the blow.

8. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Are you a LINUX guy?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

9. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Leading contender right now is: Lexar JumpDrive C20c 128GB USB Flash Drive w/Detachable Kickstand --- figure I'll pair that w/ a USB-A gender bender and it should at least cover the basics. (doubt the kickstand will work on my tablet though).

Yeah, the switch to USB-C from Micro-B is a serious pain. I really wish I could find an equivalent to the cable/adapter set you can see in my avatar (top center in the Rotring tin)

10. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Lol, not really, dabbled with it but stuck with Windows and Android.

11. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

iOrange/Anker/Aukey cables and micro>c adapters are great and all have warranties of some sort
    Same folks have great OTG cables if you still want one after getting the gender benders
    amazon "tutuo type c card reader" is a nice otg/sd/microsd > C adapter
    same search should also bring up a sd/microsd > C/A/Micro (iOrange used to make one that i use but looks like they dropped all but cables)
    Anker/Aukey do great with batteries and other chargers most of which are going to C as well but if you don't travel much you shouldnt need those

USB drives are starting to run double duty...I had a sandisk with a slide out micro on one end that served me well until i switched. You probably have a microsd slot being a sammy so no real need for external "expanding storage" like I had with a nexus 7

When apple moves to C we'll see loads more accessories....they seem to be like the :censored: industry in solidifying tech.

12. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

13. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

WillAdams likes this.
  14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken, the MacBook uses C type USB ports for connecting other devices. I don't know why their phones continue to use the lightning connector, except they probably make a pile of money off of licensing lightning chips.

15. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Visit here: https://www.amazon.com/usb-b-c-adapter/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb%20b%20to%20usb%20c%20adapter

USB B to USB C/3.0 adapters. I use four from Anker, work well.

16. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

I've found that even the noname chinese stuff works with USB C. I haven't had any loose plugs or flakey charging at all, huge design improvement over Mini B and Micro B. C-to-C, A-to-C, Micro-B-to-C (like what dml24 just posted), C-to-A OTG, all work with the cheap crap.

17. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I've bought many type C no name cables of differing lengths for my S8+. They all work really well and fast charge. However using a microusb and adaptor charges only slowly.

Tbzbbt

WillAdams likes this.
  18. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Charging times will vary with the charger being used. I use a new IQ series Anker and using the micro USB adapter with a USB 3.0 cable the charging times are reasonably short.

19. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Revisiting this since I just broke a cheap adapter.

I've been using a pair of white Samsung fast chargers (one came with my tablet, bought a spare for my bag) which are USB-A, and a pair of Wireless Gear 3' Charge and Sync USB-C Cables (every other USB-C cable I've tried to use with the tablet has developed problems and stopped charging it), and the USB-C charger and cable which came with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Had a USB-A--USB-C cable I bought early on, using that for one CNC, using a standard USB-A--B cable on the other with an Insignia adapter

Have a Samsung multi-port HDMI/USB-A/USB-C adapter I use when traveling

Remaining issues/orders:

- CD-ROM drive is USB-A, but the current USB-A--C cable doesn't work with it, but fortunately, the adapters I have do work with it --- I'd love to find a DVD/CD-ROM burner which is USB-C so I could use the phone cable --- anyone have a good recommendation for a plain unit which is reliable and performs well?
    - the broken adapter was the one I was using with my Corsair OTG, so ordered a replacement
    - Just bought a ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard with Micro-B USB connector, so ordered a Micro-B--USB-C cable (but thinking I should have got multiples)
    - broke down and bought a pack of USB-A data blocking adapters --- will need to work out a reasonable way to carry at least one