1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone else not carry a mobile/cell phone

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by eureka nation, May 22, 2015.

1. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I've been using been using a mobile so long, my first one was a pager:) Seriously, started with an Ericson in the 90's and progressed to Motorolas, Blackberries and then iPhones. I could not imagine getting by without one. I admit that I use it far more for email, text and internet than I do for calls

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  2. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

My stepson tries to tell me I need to get one like his, he uses Republic Wireless but I just don't talk on the phone, it is cheap but I don't miss having one.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  3. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wish, but i can't.
    My work is cell-based since 1995.
    No work, no cell,
    no cell, no work.

4. rkazooti

rkazooti Loaded Pockets

I have a 5s and use it as a text/phone device of course, but it's also my newspaper, compass, gps, music player, online banker, camera, flashlight and so much more. that and my rut are my edc most days. to each their own, but I can't imagine not carrying one.

kikaida and Brtsmpsn like this.
  5. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

So I go and pick up my daughter of 6 years old one day (this was a couple of years ago) and I see that her mother gave her a cell phone. Not just a "here's a toy with a bunch of games on it so you can play with it cause I bought myself a new one" type of cell phone. It was actually activated.

So when we got to my place, I took it from her and placed it on top of the display cabinet. Of course I turned the ringer to silent and wouldn't you know it, during the weekend it had gone off about a half dozen times.

When I returned my daughter, her mother asked why she never responded to any of her texts through the weekend, I told her that she doesn't need a cell phone and if there were any emergencies than she (her mother) could get a hold of her through my phone.

That was the end of her having a cell phone, at least while she's at my place.

Myself, I need one for work as I'm on call 24/7. After all, I myself am a phone guy. Kind of be ironic if I didn't carry one since that is what I service.

Cheers,
    FACE

kertap75, Serena, Brtsmpsn and 2 others like this.
  6. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

i own a cellphone, but rarely use it as one. it is more of a pocket sized ereader/internet-access device than a phone for me.

kertap75 and Brtsmpsn like this.
  7. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Some people might say that it goes against the very grain of EDC not to carry an item that might be needed. But apparently some people can get by without carrying one. To each their own

8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

That list is literally quite endless. Where would you draw the line?

kertap75 likes this.
  9. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

For me that line is drawn at flame thrower....no wait.....woman's underwear

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

You never know when someone might need an emergency spare...

Brtsmpsn, kertap75, JustinJ and 2 others like this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Doesn't it strike anyone else as ironic that many of us carry stranger items all the time waiting for infrequent use but then someone might not see any utility in carrying a phone at the same time?

kikaida, Serena, Brtsmpsn and 2 others like this.
  12. T.H.Cone

Most of those don't cost you money every month that you are contactually obligated to pay.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe not for you but I seem to be a recurring buyer!
    Of EDC items of course.

Brtsmpsn and T.H.Cone like this.
  14. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

It depends. I think some of us carry what we do out of defiance. When circumstances justify it, we gloat and congratulate ourselves and each other. At the very least, I'm certainly guilty of this more than I'd care to admit.

Likewise, there can be a certain satisfaction in refusing the teleconnected leash. The portable idiot-box that so many people cling to as a nigh-indispensable source of funny cat pics, blinking lights of meaningless games, and quite often communications that need not happen instantaneously.

JustinJ, T.H.Cone, Brtsmpsn and 3 others like this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I could hardly agree more!

At least thats what I think I have observed both in the mirror and not.

tmedina, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  16. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Nope... Never...Might as well just hang a bell around your neck !

2 Panther

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  17. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

That's very interesting - carrying something out of defiance. It never occurred to me that some would carry items out of defiance. What some may term a teleconnected leash, others may call it an essential EDC tool or an important lifeline. The cell phone has certainly evolved from being a mere cordless telephone into a versatile entertainment and communications center. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on one's point of view. Personally, being in a waiting room at a doctors office, pharmacy, or even waiting while your significant other while shopping or getting ready to go out, isn't so bad anymore. Nowadays, any time you have to wait for someone or something, isn't as boring.

T.H.Cone, Brtsmpsn and tmedina like this.
  18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't fundamentally disagree, but then again I do carry a phone.

I've known folks who made a point to not carry cell phones, and were proud of the fact. In spite of all the potential uses. You can argue the perceived benefits didn't outweigh the costs for that person, or they received a very specific benefit that outweighed the perceived costs.

I use "perceived" to denote how that user valued the costs and benefits - or even what was a cost, and what was a benefit.

JustinJ, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same here again.

I think what helps define the "Defiance" you referred to is maybe the inability to accept someone else point of view fundamentally?

As I said already,I run a small business pretty much from my cell phone so of course my point of view is going to be that it is indispensable to me.
    Some people just accept and understand this and others will not for whatever reasons they may have. They might not understand being willing to be reachable as a price of doing business or some perceived lack of freedom this may imply but either way they might defiantly defend the right to not carry a phone as proof of that freedom.

I think this inability to respect or embrace someone elses point of view and perceived downside to being tethered to a phone is what you are thinking when yo say Defiant?

Live and Let Live,right?

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  20. T.H.Cone

So, situational awareness isn't a big priority for you then?:p

Brtsmpsn likes this.