1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone else not carry a mobile/cell phone

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by eureka nation, May 22, 2015.

1. eureka nation

eureka nation Loaded Pockets

anyone on here other than me not carry a phone

Sachmo and ManVsLawn like this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nope.... never..

kertap75 and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Everyday all day I have a phone, my wife needs it to find my body if I croak.

4. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I terminated service on mine (a 6+ year old flip phone) a couple months ago. Smartphone prices and plans for data are crazy here in the USA. They'd have to be about half of what they are if I am going to be paying for them to track and profit from my info.

Dillon L, ManVsLawn and Mumbojumboo like this.
  5. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Be happy if the latest iphone costs ~$500, because in Macedonia they cost double the price, and the average macedonian (90% of the population) is working a whole month for 200 euros...

kertap75 and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

my phone is the most used, and most hated part of my edc. it's not even that large, but i don't like it.

people are simply attached to their phones and expect others to be the same.

during most work hours, it sits in my truck. too heavy to carry while it i actually do physical work.

off work, it usually its at my desk or plugged into the wall. i just dont tend to carry it unless i'm out and forced to do such...

it is, however, a very necessary evil, due to having a family, a small child, and a business to keep after....

Dillon L, citoman305 and CSM-101 like this.
  7. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

While I hate paying for a smart phone and it's data plan, I consider it the most useful multi-tool I own.

I mean seriously, in my pocket I carry a device which has access to to the entirety of knowledge man has ever known.....I use it to take pictures of junk from my pockets.

.Ed, citoman305, MMK21 and 6 others like this.
  8. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

NEVER leave home without it!!!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Give it another 5 years or so and it won't even be a"mobile phone" it will just be a "phone". I haven't had a land line in over 10 years.

FACE, citoman305, thePlumbah and 6 others like this.
  10. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

There are plenty of pay as you go providers such as Virgin Mobile, Straight Talk, Family Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, etc. There's no contract, and they offer different phones from flip phones up to smart phones. There's no need to be in a calling/data plan with a major provider if you don't want to be in one. All you have to do is look in your local supermarket, walmart, target, best buy, circuit city, etc.

AND Federal law requires that all cell phones have the ability to dial 911 in an emergency regardless of whether or not there are minutes left or there is a calling/data plan.

fourSAK and ManVsLawn like this.
  11. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Aside from old, deactivated emergency phones for 911, neither my wife or I own/carry/use any type of cell phone. Haven't for years. For the particulars, I talked about it once, long ago. Honestly, I don't see the point or the need for constant communication. The reality is- from my perspective at least- is the vast majority of us simply don't have a legitimate need for them.

For most people, most of the time, it is a distraction to avoid engaging in their real lives. But, I don't understand the non commercial use of FaceBook, Twitter, or Instagram either, so perhaps it's just that I'm a neoluddite.

12. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Like kertap75 we have no land line and a cell phone is our only phone, also with a mom that is 91 years old and 1000+ miles away plus all other relatives that are far away if there is a family emergency we need communication at all times. Then as we age if I or the wifey goes somewhere and :censored: happens we need to contact each other NOW. We don't spend a lot of time or really no time using the phone as a internet source except when we are at my mom's house and there is no internet connection available. My phone is the only "smart" phone as these won't fit in her tiny preferred use purses.

thePlumbah, CSM-101 and ManVsLawn like this.
  13. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I understand the alts and was on a pay as you go plan before terminating service. I didn't really find it to be that great of a deal as it doesn't come with anything and I still had to pay every month with minimal use. I checked out straight talk but you find their " unlimited" plan isn't so unlimited when you read the fine print. (Throttling to unusable speeds after 3GB)

Phone manufacturers and service providers are putting all their resources into the smartphones because that is where the money is so trying to find a good "dumb" phone now is almost impossible. Where I live, I'm limited to services that use Verizon or ATTs network as TMobile and Sprint coverage is a joke.

The ability to call 911 for free without a plan isn't worth carrying around an always connected GPS/camera/microphone Government spying device.

14. GearHunter

GearHunter Loaded Pockets

We turned our landline off so long ago my 14 year old daughter doesn't remember where it was! ( also turned off cable 4 years ago) my phone is almost the only digital device I use. I own an iPad but don't use it a lot. Fact is there is not a traditional computer in our home. It's all iPhones and iPads so....no I'm never without my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  15. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Realistically, how does knowing RIGHT NOW help when people are so far away?

kertap75, vegassprky and ManVsLawn like this.
  16. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

There seems to be a generational divide, though not always. I know youngsters (anyone younger than me) who live on their phones, whereas I resisted getting a smart phone for years.

But once I bit the bullet, I found that it can be quite useful, particularly with kindle/e-books, navigation apps, and whatnot. That said, I've avoided installing time sinks like most of the video games and other distractions. Although I will, when bored, surf the web in short spurts (having a 1 GB plan keeps you hyper-aware of your data usage).

So yes, it's part of my usual EDC when I'm "going out", but not I'm not tethered to it (unlike, say, my wallet, keys, or glasses).

And yes, phones are tracked (and trackable), but at this rate, it's almost not worth the bother for me. I might buy an RFID blocking pouch one of these days just to spite marketers that use the phone signal for data collection and advertising, but since I use credit/debit cards, someone somewhere has already compiled a database on me, my health, my predicted health and behaviors, my shopping habits, and I'm indelibly jacked into the Matrix. Or, I haven't been motivated enough to rip myself out of the grid yet.

kertap75, vegassprky and ManVsLawn like this.
  17. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

you know there are laws in Florida designed to keep people from 'living off the grid?'

its amazing that they made it illegal to not pay into/play into/be part of the system. illegal i say!:furious:

18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not surprised. There are laws against collecting rain water in barrels and laws against installing solar panels - influenced by, if you believe the rumors, by the Koch (sp) brothers who are heavily invested in energy production.

And then there's the issue of taxes - no matter where you go, you're going to be breaking a law somewhere. A person is unlikely to ever be truly "off the grid", short of moving out into the wilds of nowhere and doing the wild frontier/pioneer thing. At which point (s)he is still breaking laws, but it isn't worth the time and energy to send out agents to deliver a bill or arrest him.

After that? It's all a matter of degrees and how much you're willing to push the line. Sorry, take me with a bucket of salt - I'm in a mood and it spirals out into my attitude in general on this weekend.

19. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

As others above, I don't even have a landline. I don't even use my mobile/smart phone to call that much, I don't even text that much. So what do I do with it? E-mails mainly, Instagram because I like pictures, my calendar (common to my laptop, pc and phone, pretty handy), I also manage my bank accounts on it via the apps (I probably wouldn't do this on my phone if I was like rich, but for now it's fine). All of these I could probably live without, but what I really value with that device is the fact that I can google things really quickly. I can't stand not knowing something :eek: I also use it a lot to know which metro or train I should take, Paris had a very dense network
    But these days I try to read books more so that I don't use my phone for entertainement. I really do hate being dependant on something, of somebody for that matter.

20. GearHunter

GearHunter Loaded Pockets

The last 3 books I've read I read on a combo of iPhone / iPad. I don't have video games on my phone ( my wife does ) but I have my calendars ( work home and kid activities ) it's my gps it's my weather radio / alert warning device I read my local news paper on it I pay all my bills from it and manage my bank acct and our family budget from it I do all these things from where ever I want to!
    Oh and probably most importantly I surf EDCF from it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn and Brtsmpsn like this.