1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else make thier own bags ?

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by leaky5, Feb 12, 2016.

1. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Does anyone else make their own bags ? I really enjoy doing it, but with arthritis/gout limits me sometimes.

I still like modern bags, but like the challenge and learning involved in making my own.

My wife says I now have more bags than her and my oldest says I use her sewing machine more than she does.

Apart from this one http://www.edcforums.com/threads/leather-messenger-bags.123900/page-4#post-2534026 I have done a few others.

The first one is intended to be my main holiday / daytrip bag.

Made from some left over waterproof canvas and leather I had, with a nylon liner in the main pocket.

It’s a bit messy in places, but certainly usable.

The strap needs a bit of a polish, it’s just from another bag I don’t use.

[​IMG]

The pictures don’t show it very well, but there is a grab handle incorporated into the lid leather.

[​IMG]

There is a hidden pocket under the leather flap.

[​IMG]

The poppers are to hold the front pocket flat

[​IMG]

Water bottle pouch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

This was just for a bit of fun, used as a dog walking bag.

Bought an old Yugoslav shoulder bag for £10.

Dyed the straps and added a few bits of leather and a nylon liner (not very good, still working on my linings) with zip pocket.

Side/bottom piece of leather also doubles as a pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Waxed cotton and leather roll top bag.

Made from a bit of spare waxed cotton and leather bits I had lying around.
    Lined with Black Watch Tartan and zipped pocket concealed under front flap.

I wanted a simple bit of carving on it, so decided on a compass motif.

It will take a full size laptop, which was one of the main goals for it.

About 98% finished, just making a grab handle for the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TXWildcat, MxDr, camporama and 6 others like this.
  4. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Indiana Jones Inspired gasmask bag, but in leather.

I have given this to a friend who has had a serious motorbike accident, hoping he can make use of it in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TXWildcat, MxDr, camporama and 3 others like this.
  5. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

Outstanding work. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Craig Grabowsky

Craig Grabowsky Loaded Pockets

7. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Cool Idea. I did something similar for my son. I bought him a 100L MTP bergen for army cadets. But the British Army bergen is one large section and then zips on the side to add standard side pockets, which add between 20 - 30 L extra capacity.
    But I did not want him over loading the bergen, so I bought some torn Goretex MTP trousers and matching zips and made 2 low profile pockets which can now take any wet kit and keep it out of the main section.

[​IMG]

8. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

Wow, some really nice leather stuff here. Looks like lots of attention and appreciation to detail went into these bags.

Here's my current EDC bag, V.3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TXWildcat, Mauser, MxDr and 3 others like this.
  9. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Thanks. All I can say is wow, that's great. I would not know where to start and the order to sew the parts in.

I am torn between an all canvas or all leather back pack next, want to do one no more than 20L

DannyX likes this.
  10. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

Actually I started sewing after looking at a tutorial on this site (before I became a member here, btw).
    Basically a pack of this design consists of three parts (back, front and the middle that runs around).
    All three parts have to be completed (that means all straps, handles, zippers, etc...) before they are put together in the last step.
    Step by step it is not as complicated as it looks. "Tactical" designs that are based on zippered main pouches are simple.
    Most of them are cubes with rounded off corners.
    Anyway, check this out:

http://edcforums.com/threads/e-e-small-daypack-tutorial-new-pictures-added.88416/

11. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I think I will have a go at a basic one like this next.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

DannyX likes this.
  12. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

I have a supplier of custom made military kit quite close to me and they have everything needed apart from some 500d material for the lining. The are going to send me some scraps of 1000d material, binding and webbing to see if, 1/ I like the colour & 2/ my machine can cope with it.
    I am guessing the final cost will be in the region of £60 for enough stuff to try a bag.

13. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Compliments to both @leaky

leaky5, you mentioned starting with a used, vintage bag, and modifying ("Bought an old Yugoslav shoulder bag for £10."). Is it a challenge to source those at a "reasonable" price? (realizing you're across the pond from me). Looked around year or two ago for genuine vintage military issue, any country. Not for modding, but immediate use. Desired style(s) scarce and pricey, at least where I was looking.

14. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

I had been after one of the Yugoslav bags to try out, I have seen then as low as £6 on the internet over here. But I just happened to pop into a very local surplus warehouse to me and he had them displayed up on the wall. They got half a dozen down for me to choose the best one from.

In the summer I love to browse around stalls at living history shows, again lucky enough to have a smallish one about 5 miles from me each year and one of the biggest in the UK is only about 50 miles away.

These shows tend to have lots of stalls selling the same sort of kit and having to compete with each other, so bargains are there to be had. Last year at the smaller one I went on the look out for some bits for me son, Goretex MTP jacket £20 (other stalls they were up to £40), MTP basha £30 and brand new MTP bergen £40 (I have seen these go for over £100 new on Ebay)

There are also a couple of small shops locally for more modern stuff, one in particular I will always try first and give my business to if I can. They have had their own version of the British Army PCS jacket made in plain colours, I have a black one and use it when ever I can, I might even get an Olive Green one this year. They are also my first call for boots for my 14 YO's ever growing feet, picked up a new pair of size 12 Bates there last year for £40.

15. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I love the old school look. You could make some money doing work for a civil war reenactment group.

Sent by owl post.

16. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Lol, thanks. But might be a bit to modern looking for my countries civil war.

17. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

Awwh man!! All these materials, waxed canvas, leather, cordura, webbing, YKK zippers. I wish I could have access to even a few of these materials, I am so green with envy now. By the way great job to all the above posters.

18. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Just picked up a nice Merritt sewing machine for £20 from a local charity shop. Managed to sew 4 layers of 1000d, 2 of binding and 1 layer of webbing with it, so am very happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MinistryOfTruth and pacrawshaw like this.
  19. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Took a bit of a chance on an old Singer table on Ebay, worse case I thought I could use the machine on top of it.

But it fits perfectly at the business end, I might give it a quick rub back and some varnish.

£4 for the table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MinistryOfTruth, DannyX and MxDr like this.
  20. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

good looking stuff everyone! I hadn't made anything in months, but last night I whipped out a chalk bag, for climbing, out of selvaged denim.