1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else keeping an eye on the upcoming Render K pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by mhphoto, Dec 14, 2011.

1. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

While searching for a solid brass ballpoint to compliment my copper Embassy Pen I came across a blog posting for a machine shop in Arizona. The post said that they've designed a multi-refill pen (that takes a standard Pilot Hi-Tec-C refill, which apparently have a big following, especially among drafters, but also includes a little insert that allows Parker refills to be used, as well as Fisher Space Pen refills with their plastic adapter). They'll make two versions, anodized aluminum (which looks raw in every pictures released, so it must not be dyed) and raw brass. I emailed them and they pointed me to their Kickstarter page.

They're pretty nice looking pens. They actually look quite a bit like the Titaner Titanium pen to me.

(Pictures from their photobucket)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long story short, I (donated? invested? kickstarted?) enough to get one of each when they're released in February. The wait begins…

2. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Nice. Only downside for me is the screw cap. Curious why they didn't machine a brass clip/bolts for the brass pen.

3. fatkid

fatkid Loaded Pockets

I was hoping that the EDC crowd would notice this. I am actually the designer of this pen (I am the guy in the video) and work at the machine shop where we are going to be making them. I wanted to post something about the pen myself, but I felt that would be too self serving. We have been overwhelmed with the positive response we have had from the pen community for our little project. A few people have asked why we didn't make a brass clip for the brass version of the pen, and the simple answer is that a brass clip would bend far too easily during everyday use. We could plate the clip, but that seems cheap and it will eventually wear off. We like the industrial look of the stainless clip, so that's why we went that direction. If anyone has any questions about the pen, let me know, and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks!

Sriracha likes this.
  4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Wow hadn't heard of this until now. I'm SO kickstarting this.

5. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Maybe a bronze clip? Not sure if bronze would be much better than brass, never worked with bronze.

6. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Looks pretty awesome to me, even if I can't quite justify the $60 it would cost to get myself one.

About the only negative I see is there isn't any way of stowing the cap when in use...

7. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Santa, take note. I want one.

8. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

Mmm. Brass has been very popular around here lately. This pen is another reason why.

9. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

This EDC'er noticed and is a backer. You've got an awesome product. I can't wait for my pens to come in. I like a heavy pen so I'm really looking forward to the brass pen.

10. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

Funny, I just copied the URL to post here. Finally a blunt end, solid pen. I will be signing up.

This kick starter site is very cool.

11. Eciton

Eciton Loaded Pockets

Kickstartered it myself! Can't wait. Went for the aluminium version.

12. JMS42687

JMS42687 Loaded Pockets

Wow very nice...I spend enough money on other random items and this is something I will use daily, looks like I'm going to be buying myself a Christmas gift. The aluminum version looks sharp and is my choice.

13. fatkid

fatkid Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! We just broke the 20K mark, I am absolutely flabbergasted.

14. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

With that said and the fact your goal on Kickstarter was only $3000, I can only assume you've begun production. If that is the case, when do you foresee shipping to begin?

Also, just to through this out there. Would a satin finished pen of tungsten carbide be possible? I've seen some watches made from this and they literally do not scratch. Lot's of people make pens, but I've never found a tungsten carbide pen.;D

15. drb328
    • In Omnia Paratus

drb328 Loaded Pockets

i would jump on this and kickstart it as well, but my wallet keeps running away if it sees me near the EDCF page

16. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

I'd love a tungsten carbide pen (actually I'd love just a tungsten pen >:D), but I think the production of either tungsten or tungsten carbide pens would be too hard, at least for a smaller machine shop. If I recall correctly, tungsten carbide is technically a ceramic that's pressed and formed into the final shape, not machined. I know it's very brittle, but also incredibly stiff and dense. I can attest to the scratch resistance; my ring is TC and after over three years of wear it doesn't have a single scratch or ding on it. ;D

And as far as tungsten goes, I think it's much too hard to machine accurately without special bits and such (I'm not a machinist though). A tungsten pen would definitely be cool—a pure tungsten Embassy Pen would weigh over twice what the copper metal weighs >:D

17. Stationery Traffic

Stationery Traffic Loaded Pockets

Just found out about this one from another site - best of luck with this venture, it looks beautiful!

18. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I just kickstarted this for both the Aluminum and Brass pens. Can't WAIT to get these...

19. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I wonder if the cap stays on? I love my original embassy pen, but the cap would often loosen up and fall off in my pocket.

20. Viper715

Viper715 Loaded Pockets

It's got triple start threads and they look robust in the pictures. Hopefully they work as good as they look. I think I'm going to go for the Brass.

I only have one question. With the original goal of $3,000.00 and now year near $25,000.00 worth of orders are you going to be able to produce that many orders in a efficient and timely manner or will later orders be delayed by the "backlog". Just wondering as I want one but I don't want to pledge and then be waiting until next Christmas for the pen. Thanks and I can't wait to hear what people think of this once they have it in hand.