1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else have some incoming pens / pencils?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by bjornkeizers, Jan 12, 2012.

1. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

I just ordered some new pens to go with my new RITR notebooks that are also on order. As the saying goes: misery loves company, so while I wait... who's got some nice pointy objects incoming?

The pens that I have on order are a Fisher Space Pen AG-7E, the engraved model of the original astronaut pen. I also found a nice Ebay deal on the similar 'Shuttle' pen, so I have one of those incoming as well.

The AG-7E replaces an older AG-7 that I am 'retiring'. It has a slight dent in it and the barrel cracked due to micro fractures in the bottom barrel's grooves (common problem, unfortunately). You can pull it apart with just a firm tug, so it's not suitable for EDC. I'll probably try sending it to Fisher for a possible repair... Can't ever have enough pens floating around :)

Here's what the new guy looks like. Expecting delivery on saturday.

[​IMG]

bluedevil76, Blak Smyth and Warfusion like this.
  2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I may have acquired a a few more (fairly cheap) Parkers lately - the 'premium' design jotter and a barcode design vector. Great pens, and have been my standard EDC for a while after I somehow managed to lose all the Fisher bullets I had. I will maintain there is something about those pens that cause them to vanish somehow, I have carried the same knives, lights and other items for years quite happily, yet every time I replace a lost bullet, it also ends up going walkabouts, however hard I try to keep track of it.

The one thing that does always irritate me about pens (or at least Parkers) is why do they always come with a blue ink cartridge? I seem to be collecting spare blue refills after switching the cartridges in all the pens I own to black ones (ideally fine point, though medium will do)...

I did also grab a cheap two pen case off ebay at the same time, to give me a nicer way of keeping a couple of pens to hand.

3. Ghostface

Ghostface Loaded Pockets

Just took delivery of a Zebra 701 mechanical pencil.
    NIce!!!!

4. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I finally got a new stainless steel Parker Jotter and a Space Pen insert for it. I also got a Uni-Ball Kuru Toga mechanical pencil. This pencil is especially cool because it has a mechanism that rotates the lead advancing cartridge to help keep the lead pointy instead of letting it flatten out on one side.

5. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I have a Noodlers flex fountain pen and some ink waiting for me at my office. :)

6. bjornkeizers

Haha, very relatable I'm afraid! I misplaced my first Bullet. You know what it is? Most of them *still* don't come with a pocket clip. And when it's closed up, it's just a smooth, round small object. Just waiting to slip out of your pocket or bag at the earliest possible opportunity. After I replaced my first lost bullet with a second one, I bought a pen pouch to hold it and the AG-7. Still have that bullet, knock on wood.

7. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Can't go wrong with the AG7. I got one for Christmas and I must say, it's my most favorite FSP of the dozen or so that I own.

I think I'll get the TiNi Bullet next -- http://amzn.com/B000HLD81U

8. LauraQ

LauraQ Loaded Pockets

Waiting on the RENDER K to ship. Also ordered something from The Mighty Pen Company. I just can't resist pens!

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

As a matter of fact I do: Kaweco Liliput pen, OHTO Cute pencil, Pentel Diary Pencil, Lamy Spirit pen and a Rotring Rapid Pro pen. And a few refills and other odds and ends, of course.

10. bjornkeizers

Here it is, my preciousssss! Just look at that awesome polished finish... beautiful.

I've actually noticed a few differences between the AG-7E that I just got and my older AG-7. Despite Fisher's claim that is essentially unchanged... it seems they do tweak a bit here and there over the years.

The AG-7 that I bought in (I think) 2006 had more aggressive ridges on the front barrel. The AG-7E's are considerably shallower.

The AG-7 also had some small lengthwise grooves on the upper and lower barrel. Those are lacking on the E. That's probably a good thing, considering my AG-7 developed hairline cracks in those grooves... and I've heard from others that this is somewhat common.

The clip on my old model doesn't have the Fisher AG-7 writing that the new one has. I also noticed that the new pen requires just slightly less pressure to expose the tip. It also retracts at a slightly higher audible pitch. These are probably just the normal production tolerances though, but I'm a stickler for details :)

All in all, an awesome pen. I'll drop Fisher a line to see if they can repair or replace the old one with the broken barrel.

[​IMG]

playeroflife likes this.
  11. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just picked up of these benchmade 1155-1 pens in a trade. [​IMG]

12. bjornkeizers

That's an... interesting looking pen. The front is actually the back? That would confuse me to no end :)

13. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've wanted a fisher space pen for awhile but never pulled the trigger so this is my first one, of sorts. May as well make a statement.:D

14. bjornkeizers

You've already discovered one of the Fisher benefits: very compatible refills. Anything that takes an average Parker refill takes a Fisher as well.

You'll never have trouble finding a refill if you need one. I actually had to stop using another pen - Cross Ion - because they discontinued the pen and refills with it apparently...

Fisher's ink writes quite well, but it does feel different compared to some other pens. For example, Lamy Safari rollerballs write smoother. Probably because of the unique density of Fisher ink. Also, Fisher ink does smear just a tad when wet. Only an issue if you're a lefty.

15. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Hammer-V6 and playeroflife like this.
  16. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Just ordered 5 more Tombow Pfits!

Wish I could find the Egg,here in the U.S.

17. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Most of mine have had the clip, as the last few have all been lego models put together for me by a UK dealer - Black cap, tail and clip, but with the ribbed chrome barrel not the smooth black one.

At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me to find them again some day in the distant future hidden underneath the seat in the car or similar. For now I have kinda given up on them as too costly to lose and replace as many times as I have, despite being otherwise perfect.

What bugs me is that I haven't (touch wood) lost any of my similarly sized torches, knives or other items I carry, just the space pens...

18. jcc

jcc Banned

It's funny, I actually stopped losing my Fisher space pens when I started keeping them in my pocket and not clipped to it. I currently own about 13 and over the last two-three years since I've been using them I've probably seen about 30 pass through my hands (I do give these away a lot).

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looks nice!

I have a couple of Zebra 401s and I'm looking for a local vendor for two 701s and a 701 pencil. Been reading about the mods that make a matching set, pen and pencil. I've got the space pen refills already, too.

Warfusion likes this.
  20. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I actually picked up the Egg up on eBay.... mid-US. Three of them were up for sale by the same person. Given their popularity... even on a cult-basis, I wish TomBow would make them more widely available again. Maybe even do up some metal and armored barrels.

ATB,
    Sam

Warfusion likes this.