1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

...anyone else hate cellphones besides me?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by MatBlack, Oct 21, 2009.

1. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Who made the rule you can only hate animate objects?

Monocrom likes this.
  2. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

Who said you should jump to conclusions by saying someone made that a rule?

3. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

You are implying I was wrong to make a thread about hating cellphones and that instead, I should direct my complaint to the people who use them incorrectly. What I'd like to know is: why does it matter to you how I express myself? No one made you read this thread but for some reason you seem to want to "correct me" on how to think or feel.

Monocrom likes this.
  4. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

You started a thread in an open forum and now don't like some of the replies. No one made you read any of the replies so what difference does it matter to you how I express myself? If you only want to hear back from people who will blindly agree to whatever incredulous statements you make, do it in a closed forum would be my suggestion.

5. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

You made your point but keep repeating it over and over. That's what I object to.

6. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

I object to you repeating over and over how it's a things fault for peoples bad behavior.

7. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

You seem like you really need to have the last word; so have it.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  8. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

I can see both ends of the argument.
    I love my iPhone - However they do :censored:me off sometimes, however I have to use one every day for work which I feel my business circles expect to be turned on and attached to my ear. But I find its some people or parts of society using them that actually :censored:me off. However others are aware and respectful.
    So rightly or wrongly I do still aim my anger at the little box because weather its spawn of satan or helpful inanimate object it allows people an excuse to act like inconsiderate idiots - sometimes. It also aids them in and improves their life - sometimes.
    I love being able to reach my wife and have my boy facetime me, but I also love having my peace from work and during downtime (at lunchtime, camping , hiking for a week etc). Edit: I always have the option to turn it off - if my work/wife allows me too - which they don't:cry:.
    At the end of the day I guess it comes down to what your own society / group of friends / business circles agree as acceptable behavior. When we have to cross over into another circle with unacceptable behavior to us - problems.

Edit:
    Just realised Syy, you had already said essentially what I just posted afterwards. I think a few people may have a similar love hate with their phones. I sometimes yearn for the Mad Men days.... but then Id miss my iPhone - :p

Last edited by snowkiwi, Sep 7, 2013
    RoadWizard likes this.
  9. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

I don't give out my number a lot so I mostly get calls from my parents, but even then they seem to catch me at very inopportune moments and it's really annoying having to drop everything that I'm doing at that moment to pick up the phone. I encourage friends to leave text messages instead of calling me so I can respond at my own leisure and extend that courtesy to others but I do have one friend who likes to make non urgent calls, but I just deal with it.

I do agree that a lot of people seem to staring down at their phones often, distancing themselves from their surroundings, but that mostly seems to happen in large densely populated urban areas, but this is nothing new. Before phones, people would find other ways to disconnect themselves from the world, like with a tape player or Walkman. On buses and trains, you'd find people losing track of time in their books. When you live in a place with more people than you can ever remember in your life within a 10 mile radius, you're not gonna try too hard to get to know them all. I you live in Bums:censored:, Nowhereville you can drive to a mall 50 miles away from home and know the names of every other person in there. I live in LA and I've been taking nightly walks, taking the same path every time, for the past 4 months. The only familiar faces that I see are security guards that stand outside businesses and this one guy with some issues that likes to stand in front of this cafe and stare at the people in it all day. It's difficult to form meaningful relationships with people that you're only going to talk to once and never see again, ever, which is why people in cities aren't all that friendly with strangers, as opposed to the countryside, hence all the phone staring that people do, and, on that note, in recent decades, more and more people in the US (and elsewhere) have been moving into cities, which results in more of this behavior from more people.

Now if more people would just complain about how large corporations keep trying to use these phones as receptacles to gather private and personal data on us to target advertisements "better" and there is a lot of potential for abuse: http://www.cracked.com/article_20345_5-terrifying-smartphone-hacks-you-wont-believe-are-possible.html

snowkiwi likes this.
  10. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I guess I'm an odd ball. I put a lot of value in personal freedom, which causes me to be very tolerant of people's behavior. It takes an awful lot to annoy me to the point that my overall happy nature is disturbed. Most of the time when I see people doing their own thing, sometimes against social norms, I smile and get a certain satisfaction that others are using their personal freedom; and to hell with what the world thinks.

I don't care if people are buried in their phones. In fact sometimes I rather they are so that they don't bother me by trying to start a conversation. That's one thing that does annoy me..... small talk.

However I get 80+ calls a day from techs needing assistance or corporate needing something or whatever. At the end of the day I'm relieved to let my phone ring and let voice mail take the call for me. I'm pushing hard for the techs to start texting to relieve some of the calls though. I love texts because I can answer at my leisure and no uncomfortable silences.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

bzimmerly likes this.
  11. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I'm not bothered by small talk. I like talking with people and many times the small talk is simply an overture to a real conversation.

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Problem is, you get way too many folks (especially nowadays) who see nothing wrong in taking their personal freedom and crapping on everyone elses.' When I'm in a 5-star restaurant or a KFC, I don't want to hear some jerk screaming into his cellphone a few tables over. And he's not screaming because he got some really bad news over the other end of the phone. He's screaming and shouting because he's greeting another low-life on the other end of the phone. I don't need to hear that. And if I politely say something to him, I get accused of trying to stifle his "personal freedom." Right ...

Personal freedom doesn't mean having the right to act like an absolute loud-moth, obnoxious, low-life jerk when out in Public. Where's my personal freedom to sit and eat in peace? Or to just relax a bit on the subway without some idiot screaming at the top of his lungs while belting out a horribly off-key song; as everyone else just sits and pretends they don't hear him. I'm an adult. I suck at playing pretend. I definitely said something to him. You should have seen how quickly he shut the Hell up after I infringed on his personal freedom.

I admit, I'm very intolerant of certain types of behavior from other people. Guilty!

LefsaBL, RoadWizard and MatBlack like this.
  13. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

Wow! I could almost HEAR -that forum rant. :eek:

Monocrom likes this.
  14. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

15. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

3 text messages ever 0.0 I have sent 8,000 in a month. I also admit to texting a person less than five feet away from me. I personally hate phone calls and people but mostly phone calls. Talking over text and over the internet people are different its weird their easier to tolerate inless they can't spell I am bad at that too but not like wut are u doin? did i do sumthin wrng?

Last edited by Evilbunny, Sep 8, 2013
    bzimmerly likes this.
  16. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

Sarcasm at its finest! :rofl:

17. mwestjeeper

mwestjeeper Loaded Pockets

Not many jobs in this world and year, in which one can pretend its 1970 and ditch the ability for uppers / customers / co-workers to contact you. The ability to be reached 24/7, and email when not at desk, allows me to be much more mobile / flexible in my work day. Sure it blurs the line of the work day, but also means it is no big deal if I ditch the afternoon to do something with my daughter's school, etc. The blurring of the work day and the elimination of the 'work is a place you go' mentality cuts both ways and benefits both the entity and the individual. Made possible by the smartphone, by the way.

bzimmerly likes this.
  18. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Thank god I work in a field where I'm not at the beck and 24 hr. call of my employer.

19. mwestjeeper

mwestjeeper Loaded Pockets

Perhaps the buddy is following the advice / SOP of nearly everyone in this thread, and simply screening and / or shutting the phone off when not required for outgoing correspondence. All cool to shut your phone off other than when you need to make a call, until you need to make a call and the other guy does the same thing, lol.

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

+1 on that. Glad my job doesn't require me to be on a technologically advanced leash. I don't get paid to be on Stand-By all day long on top of my usual working hours.

MatBlack likes this.