1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

...anyone else hate cellphones besides me?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by MatBlack, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Absolutely not, I love them. I do however dislike (certain) cell phone users who are not socially competent enough to realize when it's time to put the phone down and engage in a proper conversation with the people around them.

This is not a problem all the time obviously, but in some situations it is. Besides, hating a cell phone because of what it is is exactly the same thing as hating knives and guns because of stabbings and shootings. I do not hate tools.

snowkiwi likes this.
  2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Even if you almost never use it, it's worth having with you. Find the pieces, put it together, charge it up and keep it charged, (might want to make sure it works), toss it in your bag. The lack of pay phones these days makes having your own phone somewhat of a necessity. (in days of yore we used to just carry some change)

baldenwonder likes this.
  3. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes, I hate cell phones with every single solitary fiber and cell of my being! :furious: :banghead:

I know they are a necessity these days and all that, but I still find them extremely annoying at best and dangerous most of the time. Too many people come with one attached to their head permanently nowadays and it seems those people no longer know how to pay attention, drive, or look around them. The users are not learning to use them responsibly and they are too prevalent and available. It's crossed the line from being a tool into being an obsession.

I can't tell you how many times I've responded to a car wreck and when I ask the person what happened, the first thing the person said was "I was talking on my phone......." or "I was sending a text......" And don't get me started on the cases where someone fell and broke something because they were texting instead of watching where they were going.

"But it's a safety benefit", people say. Oh yeah? You want to convince me having one is a safety benefit? Permanently mount it to the inside of the trunk on the passenger side. Then you have NO CHOICE but to get the hell off the road and out of traffic to use it! Then you can't be a menace to the rest of us.

We lived for a few thousand years without them, so is it really that much of a need to have one all the time?

OK, rant over. But please people, use them responsibly!!!!! Let's not meet "by accident".

Last edited by Russ Prechtl, Sep 6, 2013
  4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Ha! That's where I kept my first cellphone (Motorola bag phone, no battery). Not permanently mounted, though (had to plug it into the cigarette lighter spigot to use it, you know). :D

revisions likes this.
  5. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

Why would I hate a fairly useful inanimate object? Just like guns don't commit crimes, cell phones don't make people morons. They do moronic things with their cell phones like texting and driving, talking to themselves very loudly so everyone can hear how important they are on their blue tooth, or walking and texting & bumping into everything. I love being able to go places and know I can get a hold of my kids or vice versa. If I really don't want to be bothered, my phone has this unique feature that apparently most people don't have on their phones, called a power button that enables me to turn it off. I myself don't text very much at all, but that's fine if people do. If they aren't polite enough to pay attention to the person they are talking to and instead choose to read text messages, that's not the phones fault either. While I am often annoyed by peoples use of cellphones, I don't hate the object itself, that's just silly & reminds me of people who hate guns because some people use them to commit crimes.

snowkiwi, socaldsal and Swe_Nurse like this.
  6. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I hate them because they are intrusive.

7. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

How is an inanimate object intrusive? If you don't want it (or more accurately somebody) bothering you, get a cellphone like I have it's an LG and so far every LG I've owned has a power button and I just turn it off if I don't want to be bothered.

RoadWizard likes this.
  8. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

I love and use my smartphone more than any other item in my EDC. As an INTJ personality type, I couldn't care less about what others do with their's unless it means distracted driving. (Mine is shut off when I drive.)

9. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

It's intrusive when you are with people who are addicted to their own phones.

10. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

That's them being rude not the phone being intrusive.

I really don't see why there is so much hate. It's pretty simple to just shut it off if I don't want to be bothered. It really doesn't bother me when people text while im talking to them. Its become the norm and I know that I can listen and text at the same time so I'm sure others can too. And if you don't like people doing it IV front of you then just don't hang out with those people.

This world is huge and you can pretty much live any lifestyle you want. You have the power within yourselves to construct your world around you as you see fit. That may mean avoiding certain types of people, or living in remote or urban areas, shunning technology or embracing it. With all of that control there is no reason to push others to behave as you think they should. Conduct yourself as you wish and it will attract like minded people. Those who don't fit your mold will move on to their like minded people.

Ok rant over

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

RoadWizard, 11C1P and bzimmerly like this.
  11. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I can't shut off other people's phones....can I? The people I hang out with are not the problem; it's the rest of the world. It seems half the population is staring down at a screen and that annoys me and apparently my being annoyed, annoys you.
    I believe these phones are a detriment to society and I dislike them. You are not going to make me think any differently about that. It's my opinion. I personally only carry an older flip-phone which I use only for calls a few times a week.

Monocrom likes this.
  12. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

No I'm not annoyed. And I don't entirely disagree with you. But it's the users of phones not the physical phone itself that is the problem.

I will never be convinced that an inanimate object is responsible for anything other than existing. What people do with those objects is another thing altogether

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Carbonate and 11C1P like this.
  13. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've lived in a world before cellphones existed and people didn't behave that way.

Monocrom likes this.
  14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Very true.

15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

've never owned one.

16. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

Phones make people idiots, simple as that. I dislike them, but have a work cell I carry, because I have too, working commercial construction, there is a lot of calls that need to be answered everyday, it's easier to call people than walk a 300,000 sq foot building looking for someone you need to find. I rarely use my personal phone, usually its with apps that I need for work, which i could have on ipod touch, but then would be something else i need to carry. They suck, and make people suck, but aren't going away anytime soon.

17. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

I guess you're right, now that I think about it, before cell phones there were no rude/obnoxious/annoying people in the world. It is the cell phones fault. Just like there was no crimes before guns started causing people to rob and kill. We should ban the cell phone along with the guns. Where do I sign the petition.

18. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

11C1P: Do you always jump to conclusions? I never advocated banning anything; I simply said I hate cellphones. I'm sorry my opinion hurt your feelings.

19. Carbonate

Carbonate Loaded Pockets

This is a tricky question for me. I LOVE my smart (cell) phone, and could not do my job without it. BUT, on the other hand, if I lost my job right now, i would throw it away and never look back. Beep beep, email....ding ding, text message...ring ring, phone call...dang dang enough!

My grandma said a funny thing to me 16 years ago when I got my first cell phone. "A woman must have invented those things!"
    "What grandma?"
    "A woman must have invented those things to keep track of her cheat'n husband"
    That very second my girlfriend called.

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  20. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

I'm sorry you hate inanimate objects and are unable to lay the blame for your hatred where it truly belongs. If anyone's feelings are hurt it would clearly be yours. Most people in this thread have been able to rationally point out that an inanimate object can't be held responsible for the way it is used. Just like a car used by a drunk driver, or a gun used by a criminal, or a cellphone used by a moron, it's the PERSON who uses the item in a bad way that is the problem, not the device. Again, I am sorry that you aren't able to understand that and have to start a hate thread aimed at an inanimate object.

I am also sorry you jump to conclusions and can't understand I never said you were calling for the banning of cellphones but just illustrating through absurdity the point.