1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

...anyone else hate cellphones besides me?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by MatBlack, Oct 21, 2009.

1. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I have only owned a cellphone for the last 2 or 3 years because I have middle-school aged children. I use a prepaid service and if I speak on my phone more than 3 times in a week that's a lot for me. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't own a cellphone. I think bluetooth headsets look idiotic and I can't understand why anyone would want one. I have sent a grand total of 3 text messages in my life and that is too many as far as I'm concerned. I know what a Blackberry is, but I don't want one. I hate cellphones. Am I alone in this feeling? BTW, I'm 42. I'm not afraid of technology, I'm just not a fan of the telephone.

SAKplumber likes this.
  2. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

What kind of discussion do you hope to start with this post?

Do you talk to people, send emails, use the internet?

Bluetooth headsets are very practical if you're on the phone for very long periods of time or during other activities.

3. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I hate cell phones but can't live without one, they are a fundamental part of modern life, though I have to say , I won't use a head set of any kind they drive me nuts.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  4. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

I am 21 years old and do not really like cellphones. But they are fundamental in todays society. I have a blackberry (I dont check emails on my computer so it makes it easy) and barely talk on it. I do tend to text when I am bored though.

5. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

I'm not also into cellphones but I do EDC one. I make calls once every 6 months, receive calls at least once every 2 months and text at least 5 times per month.

Most of my communications are done through email, Yahoo Messenger/MSN Live and of course the forums.

6. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

For me it is all about convenience. I have a Blackberry that is attached to my work email and is my phone I carry all the time. I use it constantly for email and phone calls. When I travel it is how my family gets ahold of me.

I make calls and attend conference calls when I am traveling to and from work via a bluetooth adapter in my car.

It allows me to be incredibly more productive in places that I could have never been before without it.

7. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Do you maybe hate cell phones because of the all the folks who are obnoxious on the phone when in public and those that pose as safety risks when they talk and drive?

In that case you ain't alone!

SAKplumber and Jeremy Henry like this.
  8. Nex~gen

Nex~gen Empty Pockets

I hate cellphones in the way they make me available at all times, I carry them for work but as soon as I get home they get turned off and put to charge.

If I go out I don't take them with me.

9. tradja

tradja Loaded Pockets

O0
    Mrs. Tradja and I hate cell phones.  I'm a (young) 35.  How important do I think I am?  I'm not a doctor, cop, or fireman. 

People talk and text while driving, while in a restaurant, and an increasing number of people can't seem to go grocery shopping on all by themselves either, "OK, I'm in the cereal aisle.  What was that cereal you wanted?  What?  :blah: ...What? "

I hate the crappy sound quality when I'm talking to someone on one.  I hate that nobody bothers to get directions anymore, but wanders helplessly about until they get in the general vicinity of their destination, then tries to call for directions, only to have "no bars" or reach voicemail.

People cry poverty but have a $90 monthly cel phone bill.  MY Vonage VOIP line is $15. 

I've been trying to connect with a buddy all week regarding an important professional matter.  He has TWO phones, one issued by the federal government.  You think I'd be able to reach him, but you are mistaken:  dead batteries/voicemail programmed wrong/out of range/no service/etc/etc/etc.  I wish he had a phone with a WIRE on it.

That being said, I really like the few times a year I use Skype on my iPod Touch.  It really feels like I'm getting away with something, making a call on my MP3 player without a $90 monthly bill.

[/rant off] Thanks for posting this thread.  Everyone loves cells and thinks I'm a kook for hating them.

ETA: must use more of those awesome blah-blah smilies: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

10. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Here's a weird fact about moby's. There are 41 million Spaniards and 98.4 million cell phones in Spain according to a TV programme I watched , that's 2.4 phones for every man, woman and child in Spain.

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

The point of cellphones is to be reachable anytime, but as you say, you can just turn it off when you don't want to be annoyed. You can also limit the number of people you give your number to. If you carry a cellphone for your kids, just give the number to them only, so that they're the only ones who will call you. This way you can turn it on all day, and just be called if there's a problem (teach the kids not to phone you without a good reason)

I don't like to talk on the telephone, but I text a lot. I like being available to communicate with, should any of my friends/family have a problem and need me.

12. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  13. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

I work in manufacturing 40 hours a week. I use my hands all day. I also have a home-based business that requires me to use a phone, a *lot*

One of my stipulations upon hire was that since they were not paying me (admittedly) what I was worth, that I would be allowed to use a bluetooth for my daily updates and voice reports, and customer contact. I am now working two jobs at once for 8 hours a day, I can charge my phone whilst still using it (there's that wire you wanted) and I can function perfectly well in my main 40 hour job.

win-win, I'd not be paying down debt if not for this deal.

14. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I didn't mean to mock Bluetooth. I understand some people talk on their phones dozens of times a day for their business and a headset type phone is a necessity. What I hate is the guy or lady in the mall carrying on a loud pointless conversation that is at such a ridiculous volume it is hard to ignore from 20 feet away. Since they are so loud it's impossible not to hear the inane topics they're pontificating about.

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

I don't hate cell phones, but I hate that fact that you can't get just a phone anymore.  I do not need to text, email, surf the web, take pictures, or any of the other things that modern cell "phones" do.  I hate that they make you buy an expensive data plan just becuase the phone can do all of the things listed above.  I miss the days that a cell phone was just a phone.  Right now I use a motorola razr v3, which is considered a very old and out of date phone by today's standards.  But, it works for what I need.  Until I can find a new phone that is similar to the razr or it breaks and I am forced to look at the new offerings,  I will not be getting one of the portable computers with the expensive data plan when all I want is a PHONE!

16. Hahn

Hahn Empty Pockets

That sounds exactly like some family members.

I am personally a fan of the cell phone, and even more so the smart phone. I nearly cried when my two year old daughter intoduced my iPhone to our kitchen tile. Ironically, I don't like to talk on the phone that much; I spent most of my time playing games, surfing the web, listening to music and watching movies and then my battery would be dead so no one could call :lolhammer:. Now I have a Razr and it lasts for days because I can't do any fun stuff on it; I really want another shiny smart fun...basically what it boils down to is I can admit I have the attention span of that squrriel from 'Over The Hedge'

17. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Ooh, Hammy was a cute character. ;D I love that movie. XD

Anyway, in regards to the topic, I don't dislike my cell phone, just the people that text and wake me up when it's one or seven in the morning. :( If it's an emergency, I'm fine with that, but other than that, eh, no. Yes, my phone has an alarm-only setting, but I've been screwed over by it more than once, which is why I keep mine to vibrate only. For those who just want a regular phone, go to your cell phone provider and look at their "low-end" phones, yes, you may end up with a camera on the cell phone, but most phones today have them anyway. Besides, it's handy to have a camera-equipped phone every now and then, especially to help remember where you parked, or for any situation where having one is a lifesaver. :) For instance, I have a Samsung Hue II through Alltel; no, it's not the absolute best phone out there, but it's the best phone that Alltel provides that isn't a Blackberry. All-in-all, though, it still has mp3 capability, a 2.0 MP camera, and I think limited web service. With that said, I don't use the mp3 player nor the web service, but the camera does come in handy. I pay no data package fees, and with the exception of the minutes and unlimited texting (I learned my lesson... it pays to have it for me @_@), there is no expensive monthly data package fee.

For those that need email capability, but no internet or too costly monthly fees, I /have/ heard of such a device that exists. It's no Blackberry, not the Peek is on sale for only $20, eligible for free shipping, and the monthly contract fees are as low as $15/month.

Nonetheless, though, I'm happy with my Hue II, but I know some others would easily say it does too much. ^^;

18. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

My mom works for Motorola so I am fortunate to have several old flip-style phones. I don't want a big keyboard or internet access either.

19. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I love my Blackberry Curve. Aside from the fact that my progeny, wifewoman and aging parents can contact me - and vice versa - I get email and internet. I work from home, and that email lets me leave the house. Boss emails me, and it looks like I'm at home. I dig it. It would be about the last toy that I would give up.

20. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

Just think how bad cell phones would be without called-id. All calls except family go to voice mail. Mine is on only 8 hours a day M-F and rarely powered on during weekends. Had a crackberry about 2 years ago, I was too accessible by co-workers and dumped it. I don't care if my employer does give me a cell allowance. My time is my time. Oh, yeah, car/cell allowance was canceled company-wide last March. :(

Don't need phone access to e-mail.

I really only carry for family and emergencies now.