1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else giving up on their automatic watches at present?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Moshe ben David, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So, I have a mild thing for automatics. I have 3 Seiko 5 Sports; love them. Just really dig the idea of energy provided by body movement through the day(s)...

Which has become a problem with the 'stay at home' during COVID-19. With hardly leaving the house - nowhere really to go -- and in the house even more sedentary than my usual, which is a LOT, my autos just don't stay energized.

I do have several G-shocks, including two solar powered as well as some other battery powered and so forth. I just kinda miss wearing my autos....

Am I alone in this?

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

2. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

I have a moderately large collection and so the autos I have only come around every now and then anyway.

I’m also a bit of a different case, as my current lifestyle, for the last few years, has been homemaker but still very active, so the virus hasn’t made a jot of difference to most of my habits, EDC included :)

jbj and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Like @EMarkM I don't have that problem either.
    There is no curfew or other measures in place to limit our ability to be physical. That said, right now, organized sports, team sports or any activity involving groups of people not living together are largely halted. So to exercise or be active in any way, one is usually left to one self.
    I literally live right on the edge between the forest and suburbia, so I'm lucky enough that I can strap my cross country skies on, on my doorstep and wander off into the "wilderness" without being in contact with anyone. I also have a load of chores around the house, so I'm quite sure my autos are as energized as they ever were.

This week I've been wearing a manual wind, so that's another workaround :)

This photo is taken approx. 500 yards from my house. Looking towards it! Social distancing isn't really that difficult around here (except I miss the social part, of course)
    [​IMG]

4. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I own 3 autos and 2 G Shocks and I have worn the G’s more often while quarantined. It has more to do with the farm related activities, projects, etc. that have caused harm to the automatic movements in the past than inactivity, TBH.

Although, I am wearing the SKX033 on Toxic today.
    [​IMG]

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I pretty much just wear my Apple Watch as I no longer miss email or texts since I started,not for everyone but good for business.

rdisom likes this.
  6. Captdave13

Captdave13 Loaded Pockets

Great combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcombs likes this.
  7. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

The lockdown hasn't been enough to stop my autos from running as I wear them, so nope, no issues.

8. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Manually wind your autos.
    That's what I do.

marsos52 and Elmiro Dungfoot like this.
  9. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

Chances are Moshe's Seiko 5s are 7S26 models, which aren't hand-windable.

jbj and jcombs like this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Didn't realize you guys still get snow this time of year! Not surprised; just never gave it thought.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

aicolainen likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

You are correct - not hand-windable. Two are Seiko 4 Sports 7S36C; one, the oldest, is 7S36A.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

#11 Moshe ben David, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    ran23 likes this.
  12. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Current events haven't really changed my routine much: as I still go in to the office every day my watches stay wound as long as they're worn. Sometimes I wear one on each wrist just to be sure they all get wound.

I have 3 autos:
    a 1972 Seiko Chronograph 6139-6005 (Blue Pogue)
    a 1981 (or 1991) Seiko 5 7009-8210
    a 2019 Heimdallr Sharkey 6105-8110 homage, built on an NH35A.

The Sharkey can be hand-wound as required and has about a 48-hour reserve, give or take. As long as I wear it every other day I'm good and I still give it a good 15-20 turns before bed each night.
    My 5 and Chrono cannot be hand-wound and have a significantly lower reserve, but as long as I give them a good shake for a minute or two every night before bed they seem to keep ticking. Been meaning to buy a watch winder though so I don't have to go through the process.

In the event they're all dead or I need a hard-use watch that I dont mind getting beat up, I reach for my GShock GWM5610.

But yeah, if you dont own a winder I'd recommend just spending some time before bed each night giving each watch a gentle shake back and forth for a minute or two. It's usually enough to get mine through the day.

#12 Sentinel-14, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    keycutter and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I figure that I am moving about as much working from home as I would be were I working at the office - the only difference is I lose the commute, which is being replaced by going out for equivalent/more exercise anyway, so I don't really have any worries about automatics stopping.

What my much bigger problem is right now is the fact that my main watch (a Seiko SARG003) was sent in to Seiko for work just before the shutdowns started kicking off here... Hopefully it is sat in the Seiko service department waiting for the techs to return to work after all of this is over and log it into their system, so right now who knows when I might get that back.
    Obviously the shutdown is no fault of Seiko, so I can't blame them for not being able to get it fixed (though I can grumble that it is their fault it needed to be sent back to them after being serviced for an additional issue)

Part of me really wants to get a cheap alternative to wear in the meantime (an Orient ray II or defender maybe? Investigate an SNX809 and a dial/hand swap?), but sadly the other half of me does note that I have other watches I can wear, and I probably shouldn't be spending money on luxuries at this point in time.

Moshe ben David and jcombs like this.
  14. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Haven't noticed anything but the farm keeps me pretty active. Storms that just hit blew some trees down and we just got power back on yesterday. Still cleaning up and trying to get my gardens back into shape. Before this I been fishing in any down time.

ran23 and jcombs like this.
  15. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

These days, I mostly wear quartz. A Nixon Decender or Gshock. I have two automatics, a Seiko Pogue I got in 1971 and my dad's Longines, but I have been wanting a new dress watch and find that to get the quality of design and materials I like, I need to go automatic. The watch I am looking at is the Zodiac Olympus.

I know that this is horology heresy, but I think quartz movements are the pinnacle of horological design. For years, I insisted on a manual transmission. With my 2016 BMW, I became convinced that automatics had finally advanced to the point that they offered as much control and better performance than a manual transmission. With my car in sport mode using the paddle shifters, I can drift in corners or force up or down shifts. The only thing I no longer need to do is clutch. The same is true with quartz movements IMHO. They are more accurate than almost any automatic and with radio signals they are never out of sync with the atomic clock. Don't get me wrong, I would love a Breguet or A Lange watch, not because I think they are more accurate or because I want to peer at the movement through the case back, but because their fine design aesthetics and beautiful materials, enameled faces, etc appeal to me

16. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

I currently have; three autos in the rotation, and one solar-powered Eco. All the automatics are hackable; so I wind those that need to be topped-off daily. A little bothersome, but what else is there, to really do? :rolleyes:

17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Loaded Pockets

:censored: you classy bastards intimidate me. Read to learn. Just rolling G Shocks here forever...had looked into autos but never bit on them. The G's are just so bullet proof.

18. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I've got a Seiko 5 Sport, the 7S36 action. Lasts maybe 18 or so hours before the main spring unloads due to inaction. It IS possible to manually wind them, but not in the conventional 'turn the knob' sense. You just rock the entire wrist watch back and forth in your hand, so that the automatic winder counterweight completes twenty or thirty full orbits of its axis. Not difficult, merely irritating.

19. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

Oh yes, you can 'wine-swirl' them or you can just shake'em while on the wrist. :)

RogerStenning likes this.
  20. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Just for the record, I wrote the longest post to go here, but somehow I was logged out at the time of posting so the whole thing was lost.