1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else EDC a cheap Amazon light?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by mdnitedrftr, Aug 18, 2017.

1. mdnitedrftr

mdnitedrftr Loaded Pockets

Am I the only one who EDC's a $4 Amazon light?

I'm cheap about stuff like this, and I can't justify spending $50+ on a AA flashlight.

I know they're not top quality, and they certainly don't have the lumen output they claim to have, but so far I've had good luck with them. They don't do anything fancy. They turn on and off. That's all I need it to do.
    I use them for work too.

kikaida and kpstumpf like this.
  2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

If you are happy with it, does it matter?

The more money you spend on something, chances are that you'll want to 'baby' it and if it got lost or destroyed you'd be crying for longer.

kikaida, mdnitedrftr and garza like this.
  3. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

If it does what you need it to do, the price is irrelevant.

Though, I would recommend the Atactical (now Wowtac) A1 as one of the cheapest, best lights out there. It's on sale on Amazon right now for about $15, battery included. Definitely worth checking out.

4. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

I have several of them (I assume you mean the sk68 clone). I keep them around the house, in the car etc. If someone asks to borrow a torch, that's what they get.

kikaida and mdnitedrftr like this.
  5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I have no idea what an sk68 is let alone it's clone. :) Anyone got a picture/info/link?

6. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I did have one and it was kind of my gateway drug. It was my first edc carry light and I was pleased with it. When it died I replaced it with a nicer quality one.

7. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

This is a Sipik SK-68 - probably the cheapest light I own. A lot of companies have copied the basic design and user interface.

Nothing fancy. Runs on either 1 AA or 14500 battery (This one's running on a 14500, for the higher output). Less than stellar run times, mediocre beam of blue-ish light, whether focused for spot, or flood. Super inefficient, and definitely not waterproof (splash resistant, at best with its cheap plastic optic). Output is not regulated (It's direct drive).

The novelty of the zoom feature wears out pretty quickly. When zoomed out (for spot), you see the die pattern of the LED (very ugly).

It's super cheap, though; so what can one expect?

[​IMG]
    I think every flashaholic should own at least one of these, during his or her flashlight journey, just to get it out of their system; but once you get used to a high quality light, it's hard to pick up this one, for any serious use.

Last edited by david57strat, Aug 19, 2017
    #7 david57strat, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Piney and earthman like this.
  8. mdnitedrftr

mdnitedrftr Loaded Pockets

Yep, those are what I'm talking about.

I hate the zoom feature, so the first mod I do to the lights is to super glue the sliding bezel in the flood position.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks for the info and picture, I really don't think that I've seen that particular one before.

david57strat likes this.
  10. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

You can get them on ebay for a couple of quid a pop. It's worth bagging a few for car/work etc

mdnitedrftr and earthman like this.
  11. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

You're most welcome :)

12. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I've EDC'd inexpensive lights in the past. At the time, there were other priorities and that's all I could afford. I'm an advocate for carrying a light regardless of price. I have friends and co-workers that I've gifted Sipiks to. In my book, a $4 light vs. no light at all is a win. I usually keep a few Sipiks around for loaners. I've also had success with the 3W MXDL AAA lights. I think I paid about $2 each for them.

My only caveat is to carry a back up. I've had a $100 light fail - not once, but twice - so regardless of price and perceived reliability I think it's prudent to have a secondary light available.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Rest assured, you're not the only one by a long shot. I EDC these all the time, and because they're cheap and reliable, I have them in all our vehicles, not to mention my work bag, EDC bag, gym bag, etc. If they get lost or stolen, so what? They're easily replaced.

The most important thing is to EDC a flashlight, because most people don't. Yes, I've saved the day on more than one occasion just by having a sipik68 clone.

mdnitedrftr and twin63 like this.
  14. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

A good number of years ago, the big thing here was a 1Watt Energizer LED flashlight. iirc, the rated output was 100 lumens. They were fairly inexpensive and more so when they were being discontinued. Target had them on clearance for a few bucks. For 1AA battery, it was surprisingly bright.... at the time anyways. Much better than the 2AA maglites. Even after all these years, mine is still readily available at my desk. I usually chose a brighter light, but it still always available. I run eneloops for most things so I never have to worry about the battery being dead. It an old light but a most faithful and reliable light.

Before I got into higher quality lights, I really enjoyed how well the energizer flashlight worked for me. Any reliable light is better than no light.

twin63, mdnitedrftr and earthman like this.
  15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well, if you guys REALLY want some cheap lights, check your local Walmart. Mine at least has two different styles selling for literally $1 each!

One is designed to clip onto the brim of a baseball cap; has 3 LED and uses 2 x CR2032 (IIRC).

The other is the old style tail clicky with 3 x AAA. This second one doesn't really have much 'throw' distance, but is bright enough for close work or finding your way in the dark.

I actually like the one that clips on the baseball cap better. I have several of these, including baseball caps, in the trunk bag of the car.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

steeps likes this.
  16. David Thompson

David Thompson Empty Pockets

Not an Amazon light but carry a single aa light from a Chinese shopping site
    Its replaced my eagletac as the modes on it annoy me
    I like the fact the cheap light is either on or off no modes to cycle through and is bright enough for most needs

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I have a few convoy s2+ that I rotate through. Not exactly cheap as in a few bucks but not expensive IMHO. They are good quality for their price.

18. Moshe ben David

+1 !

This is one of the reasons I like Streamlight (Stylus Pro and Microstream) as my main edc lights!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

19. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Thorfire TS07 (stainless clicky AAA for those not familiar with it)...replaced a Maratac AAA stainess twisty. I have lots of other lights, but this one is my desert island light.

20. Moshe ben David

I have a few of the even cheaper Walmart lights... $1 for a 3 x LED that fits on a cap brim! I should note though that these are so low-end that the clip that fits on the brim will rust! I have one that rusted just from residual sweat on the cap brim!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David