1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else collect canes?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Six String, Apr 24, 2017.

1. jacala

jacala Empty Pockets

I'll work on it.Will get my son to help me take a photo or two.Sent from my ASIO monitored desk computer.

Mark_Trail likes this.
  2. Highway9
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Highway9 Loaded Pockets

I guess I do - - that is I inherited one from my great-Uncle:
    [​IMG]
    He made many like it and I was quite fond of him. I have continued his tradition but I learn something from every one I make. So far they have come out much more bulky than my great-Uncle's but on the bright side they would make serviceable clubs in a pinch!
    [​IMG]
    I always carry a folding pruning saw when I'm out hiking and look for saplings that have a nice prominent root or branch at the right angle to the trunk. I cut them down and let them dry for many months then "sculpt" the desired shape. The more branches/roots coming out of the sapling the better - they make great shapes when the cane is shaped. I think the one on the far left (of the photo above) is the best to date. It was pretty twisted and I cut it on a table saw and then ran it through a planer to flatten it in one dimension. I then tried to straighten it in the other dimension but the curve was too prominent and is still evident. I then used a router to radius the edges and finished with a lot of sanding (100, 150, 220 grit). There were some deep indentations on the roots and so the dark spots on the handle are the bark or "live-edge" in woodworking terms (the top cane in the photo below). The trees I have used are birch, willow, beech and ironwood. I finished one in polyurethane, but thought it looked too plastic so the others have been finished in multiple coats of danish oil.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Highway9, May 26, 2017
    #22 Highway9, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Mark_Trail, Gary Gross and leaky5 like this.
  3. jacala

jacala Empty Pockets

4. jacala

jacala Empty Pockets

5. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^
    Thank you!

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

6. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

I had two made up recently, based loosely on the wooden Cold Steel Walkabout. One from Ash and one from Padauk.

The Ash one is un finished in this picture, I have now oiled it and the grain has come up nicely

[​IMG]Untitled by Leaky5, on Flickr

7. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

64 now and I want to start.

8. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I saw these in a road side gift shop just east of the Grand Canyon. The dark antler is from a Pronghorn, which we have all over the plains here in Colorado.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#28 mizedog, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2018
    Nick4305 and Six String like this.
  9. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I made a couple hiking sticks; one for me, and one for a friend who hikes, but had both knees replaced. I've had mine up over 9,000 feet on Mt. Kineo in Colorado Springs. It really helped.

Both have copper fittings. The business end have a sharpened stainless steel bolt for grip, and defense (we have mountain lions in our mountains, and rattles at lower elevations). The spike is covered by a rubber foot for street use.
    The top fitting has a 1/4" socket to accept a camera mount, hook, or, more typically, a turned top knob. I inlaid a medallion in each one.
    I also put copper pins in the side to mark inches, and feet (see the picture of a paw print).[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mark_Trail, ran23, Nick4305 and 3 others like this.
  10. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

I have just had two more made, I was finding the palm swell a bit big on the original one (left one). The turner did the right hand one first and then told me the top looked a little small. So he made the middle one slightly bigger, which is a perfect size, given it a couple of coats of matt oak varnish and I think it will become my evening dog walk stick. One of the other can sit in my car as a spare.

[​IMG]Untitled by Leaky5, on Flickr