1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else carry a water purifer in their EDC bag?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Caduckgunner, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Caduckgunner

Caduckgunner Loaded Pockets

I live in a very dry climate, so water is a concern. I keep a MSR MIOX water purifier attached to my bag. It's not very big, and it's great inside my Janus pouch.

2. VaBikePacker

VaBikePacker Loaded Pockets

Planning to incorporate an already owned MIOX into mine as well.

May keep some tablets as well

3. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Bookmarked this informative review during research — covers four years' use in varying conditions. Positive, with just a couple of minor "cons," none of which are insurmountable. Remains on my to-get list.

4. Caduckgunner

I also keep some of those Katadyn Micropur tablets in my bag. Because of how long they take to work, they are my back up option.

5. VaBikePacker

not EDC compatible without a large bottle holder probably, but, LIFESAVER bottles are pretty sweet. VERY quick....

6. Caduckgunner

True. I carry a 32 oz bottle for just that reason.

7. VaBikePacker

8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Primary in BOB/Jeep kit is First Need purifier with Micropurs as back-up (MP1s are primary treatment in smaller kits ... backed by Frontier filter when kit-size allows). Quick aside for those not familiar, Micropur tabs — if cold, dirty water — take four hours to handle Cryptosporidium, same period the MIOX requires for Crypto.

9. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

I have a 2qt canteen (filled with treated water) in the new car kit plus extra AquaTabs and Aquamira drops. I got the idea from my neighbour, prior to the canteen I used to keep Datrex pouches in the car. But I like the canteen/Tabs/Drops idea more.

10. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I carry Micropur tablets and gallon Ziplock bag for emergencies.. Sawyer makes some highly portable "pointzerotwo" products that filter and purify (incl viruses), with million gallon guarantees and back-washable.

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used to EDC an Aquamira Frontier Pro in my bag...which was a GHB(Get Home Bag) at the time. It was an NRA Range Bag, with great organization. I carry a little different configuration of stuff now...no less, really, just different. I liked this for its size and for its different filtering configurations. Hang it to filter by gravity, straw directly from a pool of water, or attach to a standard plastic bottle.
    Got it for about $12 I think. Got one for each of my Fam of 3:) Figured it was good for getting us to water storage and then some.

http://aquamira.com/consumer/frontier-pro-filter-system/

Kidplunge likes this.
  12. DragoSapien

DragoSapien Loaded Pockets

13. aphid

aphid Loaded Pockets

I also carry Micropur tablets and a LifeStraw in multiple bags.

14. Yetitrician

Yetitrician Loaded Pockets

I carry this as well and use it...

15. VaBikePacker

Your link is asking for a log in - which particular sawyer model are you referencing?

16. DragoSapien

DragoSapien Loaded Pockets

Sorry about that. Try this.

17. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

How about something like this? LifePack Filter. Using a flavored syrup, it creates Forward Osmosis (not reverse) to make a drinkable electolytic beverage. Not the same as having pure water around, but it will keep you alive. Available in 1l to 20l capacities.

18. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

I'm in a very urban area and tend to travel to other heavily urban areas. Thus, obtaining potable water after a disaster is especially critical, given the post disaster pollution and microbes. My EDC bag has the following lightweight , redundant kit, which I believe is very effective: 2 Seychelles advanced water straw purifiers, the only such straws to filter/purify chemicals, bacteria and viruses. Alternatively, one such straw and a Seychelles advanced bottle filter with the filter element dry stored in a zip-lock. That allows me to use the bottle as an everyday water bottle. Backup is supplied by Micropure tablets, coffee filters and the Survial Resources fold up filter holder. I also have two SR ziplock top one litre water storage bags, to increase storage capacity. My kit also contains a 4 way Silcock Key tool to obtain water from outside commercial building outlets.

19. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Dan2, Sep 9, 2012
  20. subneural

subneural Loaded Pockets

I keep water purification tablets (enough for three refills of my 32oz nalgene) in my EDC along with my buff. The buff is used as a filter during filling, to keep out larger particulate. The tabs take care of the nasties you can't see. I think this method is ideal for EDC.

On the other hand, my 72hr kit has a Microworks EX as a longer-term clean water solution.