1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone EDC'n a Kimber .45?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by rgoff23, Jul 10, 2006.

1. rgoff23

rgoff23 Empty Pockets

I'm considering getting an Ultra CDP II .45 ACP. And I was wondering if anyone was using either the Ultra, the Compact, the Pro or the Custom. If so what they're decisions were based on and what they're impressions were. So far I can't see anyone not liking any of them. But everyone has an opinion, and they all............matter to them! ;D

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Bought one in the late 90s. Nice pistol. Shot great. My only complaint was that, for all the other nice features the maker added, they skimped by placing a plastic main spring housing .

I promptly replaced it in mine. I still have the pistol.

3. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

The earlier Kimbers where great guns... the last two I got were Series II and I don't have them anymore...

It's been said that everytime you shorten a 1911 style firearm the chance of failures goes up...

Whatever you choose shoot at least 500 rounds before you trust your life to it... and thats not just 1911's its any gun that you purchase for the reason of self defense...

I currently EDC a Wilson Combat Classic two tone when I go to town and keep a G20 in 10mm for around home and in the woods...

Sorry but have to show it off...

[​IMG]

4. rgoff23

rgoff23 Empty Pockets

Thanks OdBm & C:confused:utdoorsman,

I appreciate your input. I've been carrying a Beretta 92FS for some time now. No complaints about it except somthing smaller and lighter for summer in Las Vegas would be welcome. I have a KelTec 9mm as well. It might be a better back-up than a rock, but in my opinion, not by much. I would not bet anyones life on it.

Jury is still out on this. So other opinions still welcome.

Be safe!

5. BigV

BigV Loaded Pockets

I currently own 2 ultra compact Kimbers models. One is an Eclipse ULE 3” ultra compact. Great shooter with no problems. The only gripe I have is that it’s a little on the heavy side. About two years ago I purchase a Kimber Ultra CDP also in 3”. This gun has an aluminum frame and is 7oz lighter than the Eclipse. It has also preformed flawlessly out of the box and because it’s lighter, it’s a true joy to carry. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

6. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

Great guns, I would love to have one......You can't go wrong with a Kimber, I just can't get by the price.....

Jim

kikaida likes this.
  7. rgoff23

rgoff23 Empty Pockets

I've been leaning towards the CDP you have. What kind of rig do you carry with? I'm a little concerned about the Ultra CDP in 3” being top heavy in a paddle holster.

8. BigV

BigV Loaded Pockets

I carry using a Galco leather shoulder rig, or a Fobus clip in style belt holster. Have you held or shot a CDP? I don’t think it is top heavy at all and it’s so light, you forget you are even carrying it.

9. rgoff23

rgoff23 Empty Pockets

I haven't held the 3" yet, but I'm going to in the next couple of days. The only reason I was thinking it might be top heavy was due to the shorter barrel length. But I should know better because we are not talking about just any run of the mill 1911 here.

I also use a Galco shoulder harness with my 92FS. It's just too darn hot here to cover up the shoulder rig in summer. The patio thermometer reads 114 in the shade as i'm writing this now. Great product Galco puts out. I plan to get their 'Royal Guard' in the pant holster for my new Kimber. Makes for an easy concealment with just a shirt hanging over it.

I can see where this is going now ;D because I'll have to get the shoulder rig for the Kimber as well! :smitten:

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Wow, 114 in the shade! Where are you?
    :-[

One of these days we're gonna have to start a "Tips and Suggestions" thread for those who legally carry.

11. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

my dad carries a kimber .45 custom when at work hes a doctor and there have been 2 muggings in the doctors parking in the last two years so he used that as an excuse to buy another gun. anyways he loves it dearly and likes it so much he gave me his old carry weapon a ruger 9mm p89

12. rgoff23

rgoff23 Empty Pockets

I'm up on the east side of Las Vegas in Sunrise Manor. And we have a slight cooling trend this afternoon, now its only 113.8 f.

13. rgoff23

rgoff23 Empty Pockets

I like Ruger's, My dad has a p89 as well, and I have a Super Redhawk in .44, way too big to conceal though. :(

It seems that most everyone that has a Kimber likes them.

14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I figured you were somewhere in the sand!

Back OT.

To honor this thread, I dusted off my Kimber last night. Later in the Summer, I might get around to installing a Cominoli Tungsten Guide Rod.

15. rgoff23

rgoff23 Empty Pockets

Is it a short or full length guide rod and is it a one or two piece?

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I'm gonna likely go with the fuill length, but have not decided yet. I need to contact Cominoli to see if he is still making them.

17. rgoff23

rgoff23 Empty Pockets

I was checking their website at www.cominolli.com and it looks like they are.

18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I wonder if Joe (Cominolli) still has a hand in actually making them. It has been a long while since I last spoke with him.

19. erh

erh Empty Pockets

This one from time to time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this fashion: (Top)

[​IMG]

Or this: (Same)

[​IMG]

Or:

[​IMG]

But, mostly I'm a "Pocket carry sorta guy; especially in '95+ degree weather
    most of the year here abouts..! :-X

20. fred0109

fred0109 Empty Pockets

I carry the Kimber Pro CDP II and have never had any problems with it. IMO, the Ultra series is not the ideal carry gun because in my small hands it tends to want to jump out of them. I have a Custom II TLE that I shoot IDPA competitions with and the Pro CDP that I carry and shoot IDPA as well. Even when wearing shorts and a t-shirt, it is hard for people to see that I am carrying it, even friends who know that I carry.
    On the issue of 3" vs. 4", I find that the 4" is easier to get back on target for a faster/cleaner 2nd shot. I would only use a 3" if I knew that any conforntation was going to be with in 10 feet, but seeing that you never know what is going to happen it is better to go with something that you know will perform out to a greater distance. In the IDPA matches we engage targets out to 20 yards and the Pro CDP is always on the money.
    Sorry for the ramblings, but just wanted to state my opinion.