1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone edc zip ties

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Cheswick32, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Itamimasu

Itamimasu Loaded Pockets

I always carry about 2 or 3 different sizes in my bag, and a couple larger in the auto.
    Used them for just about anything from restraints to tarp tie downs.

2. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

I currently work as a diesel mechanic and have worked in the mobile electronics industry, zip ties are a way of life. Many days I use hundreds of them. From securing lines and wires, to holding parts out of the way to work on other things, the uses are endless.

I like to always stock the same brand, that way you can chain them together if the need arises for a longer tie than you have.

If you are the frugal type, you can also reuse them if you cut them apart properly.

If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, it really is broke!

3. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

If you need to restrain someone with zip ties (however unlikely that may seem), follow the teachings of the late, great Rex Applegate, who showed how to restrain a person with shoelaces:

Put their hands back-to-back
    Zip tie wrists together
    Zip tie little fingers (left and right) to each other
    Zip tie forefingers together
    Zip tie thumbs

A zip tie may not be strong enough hold a big guy, but zip tying fingers and thumbs removes a lot of leverage and introduces pain if they try to twist or break the wrist ties.

The one scenario I can imagine for this is an air rage incident. Note that I would only suggest this in cases where someone was believed to be an imminent danger to others if allowed to move about.

I had a psycho passenger next to me from Honolulu to Phoenix, but he fortunately didn't follow through on his threats. He only spoke to me with obscenities, tried very aggressively to hook up with every flight attendant, and spent much of the flight hiding under his blanket, muttering. Now that free blankets are a thing of the past, I'm sure we wouldn't have a problem with this guy! ;)

I carry a handful of colored zip ties in my carry-on, for a "lock" on zippered bags. TSA is able to "open" them without damaging the bag, yet I know if someone's been in my bag with one glance, and a baggage handler might not be able to replace with an identical one to hide pilfering.

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

4. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

Yep... I carry about 10-15 little ones (in multi colors... had a box of 1000 lying around the office)... and a 3-4 big ones. Big enough to zip-tie someones ankles together if need be.

Never know when they might come in handy... and they take up so little room...

5. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I always have a few plastic ones, and I have some stainless steel ones in my toolbag, just in case! :)

6. surespyder

surespyder Empty Pockets

I bought a bag of several hundred small ones in black for $1.25 the other day. I should probably throw a few in my backpack. Cool thread :)

7. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget Loaded Pockets

Hey Hawkeye, where do you get the stainless steel ties from? I've never saw those.

8. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Harbor freight...

9. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

No I don't but I really should. Just the other day I was wishing I had some for cable management. Gonna hafta grab some and throw them in my EDC pack.

10. easy76

easy76 Loaded Pockets

Zip ties are great. You can use them to temporarely fix just about any thing. I like to carry 11 inch zip ties they can be "closed" for really small fixes and its always a pain to link a bunch of them together. I'm thinking about making a water bottle holder for my colossus with some. It might look a little bit red neck but any one who uses them on a regular bases knows how long they will last. Also if it doesn't work out I'm only out a few pennies.

11. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised TSA lets you carry them. I had a few 6" zip ties a couple of years back at JFK. The idiot newbie screener checked with his even dumber supervisor and they insisted on confiscating them precisely because "they could be used to restrain someone." (Their words.) Note that these imbeciles didn't confiscate the spare shoelaces or the 15' of paracord I was carrying. Guess I couldn't possibly restrain anyone with those. What nincompoops.

12. BladeDogg

BladeDogg Empty Pockets

That is actually a GREAT idea, I think I will throw some in my car pack! O0

13. Frequency

Frequency Empty Pockets

I keep about ten long black zip ties in my Jumbo along with 100 feet of paracord.

14. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Loaded Pockets

I keep them on every bike I own and a few small ones in my wallet. They make great zipper pulls, license plate holders and they hold fairing on motorcycles on quite nicely, a friend of mine has a sport bike and ALL the plastic on his bike is held on with zip ties. oh and they are great and holding the rods together on a rod shifted car.......

15. e206

e206 Loaded Pockets

I carry about five short ones in my pocket organizer. Very handy.