1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone EDC (or even own) some armor?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by MikeN, Dec 26, 2010.

1. MikeN

MikeN Loaded Pockets

2. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

PACA vest every day at work.

[​IMG]

wife: "hey babe, let me get a shot of you in your play clothes before you go." :)

3. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

I mean if it's in your budget why not you know. I know that armor does have a shelf life, or at least a printed shelf life. I'm not sure if it's about the density of the kevlar or what but I do know they have them. Might check on that.

4. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yeah . . . Panels need to be replaced every seven years if you want body armour to work properly. Not the sort of thing you buy and just toss on for 20 years on the job until you retire. Unless they can guarantee the age of the body armour, you want to avoid buying used. I paid $400 for my level IIIA a few years ago. Not the sort of thing you wear daily unless you're on the job. If you wear it on bare skin, cover your torso in a nice layer of baby powder.

6. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I wear this:

[​IMG]

Tough to get in and out of the car though.

Not to be outdone, my dog wears this:
    [​IMG]
    (not my dog, just a model. My dog didn't want his pic on the internet for privacy reasons. Said he was worried about identity theft.)

You never know when you might get attacked at the McDonalds or Wal-mart. It pays to be extra careful.

7. copperhead

copperhead Empty Pockets

RGNY glad to see another Brother wearing-it sucks wearing everyday but I wouldn't miss a day for the world! I am wearing second chance myself. What was issued to me.

That is a very good price on the vest. Used thouogh and probably past manufacturers guarentee. They will usually stand by them for up to 5 years. They will still stop a bullet though. A local trooper was shot wearing a vest ten years old and it saved her life!

8. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Ours gets inspected by the manufacturer every 3 years and then they re-certify it. Most overt seem to be Ok for between 9 and 12 years dependng on how well you look after it and the covert goes 6 - 9 but we seem get improved covert armour more often than that, that said I still have certfied covert(ish) ballistic/knife that is 10 years old but things have come on a long way since then (It looks alot like that German Vest) I don't know what Level IIIa is etc. We have far stranger certification codes. Overt is HG2-KR2-SP2 with RF2 plates. Old covert was HG1-KR1-SP1 New covert is HG1-KR1

9. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

10. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Rated for being able to stop anything below and including a .44 Magnum fired from a short or snubby barrel.

12. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Loaded Pockets

I wear Class 3A Body Armor at night when I go out.

It's thick but I am quite comfortable.

13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Products made by Second Chance was the one that I wore most frequently. Monarch is the the name of the models (two) that I still have in my inventory.

Likely "expired" long ago, these remain looking as useful as when I wore them, however I would not trust my life to them now. I suspect some sort of deterioration of the fabric has occurred that has rendered the product unsuitable for its intended purpose.

I should dispose of them, but have not had the opportunity to do so properly. I don't just want to toss them in the trash bin and have them end-up donned along with a ski mask by the next miscreant to enter a bank demanding cash or on some teenager displaying its merits as a fashion statement and be immediately 'Mirandized' by LE.

14. Bubba

Bubba Loaded Pockets

"You might want to make sure it is legal for you to wear armor in your state. That is unless you are a LEO of course.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_16984614/"

Unless I am reading that article wrong, having / wearing armor is only a crime when / while a person is commiting a crime.
    And the article goes into details about how /when and under what circumstances all the states are different in their enforcement

Owning / wearing armor is not illegal anywhere that I am aware of..
    Law abiding people in the US can own armor and wear it all they want, no?

15. Bubba

Bubba Loaded Pockets

If you are interested send me a PM and we will shoot them with various firearms / calibers. We'll video it all so you'll get to see how well your 'expired' armor performs

I am serious, we do it quite often with 'expired' vests from other sources. It is always interesting to me to see what works and what doesn't

FYI, it's not a date critical issue necessarily. The performance of the item will depend on it's care an maintenance and how much time it was exposed to sweat, sun, abrasions, temperatures, etc

I've seen 'expired' armor that has been sitting on a shelf out perform panels of the same manufacture date but had been worn more often

16. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Many thanks .. the same as our HG2 then.

Edit just found out, our ratings are different because our vests have to have less Backface deformation 25mm vs 44mm.

17. Gat_Pig

Gat_Pig Empty Pockets

I had some class 3 steel plate, but at 8lbs per plate, they weren't even fun to mess around with.

18. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

not trying to start anything, but just curious how many of you wear armor and are not a LEO of any kind? How many are the average joe that has it just in case when you walk the dog?

19. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i use to wear body armor everyday when i was an armored guard. i was lucky to be able to wear a tactical outer vest, it was nice especially on the 100+ degree summer days in a huge steel truck with no air or roll down windows.

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Seriously?

I doubt anyone trying that more than once will continue to do so. Besides LEOs, there are armed guards, professional couriers, jewelry shop owners, employees at check-cashing places, 7-11 owners who need to make nightly deposits. And pretty much anyone who realistically goes in harm's way.