1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone EDC Epoxy Putty?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by The Slap, Jul 18, 2017.

1. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Familiar as JB Weld to many, and sold under numerous brands, I'm referring to the sticks of two-part extruded putty you knead together. I use the generic stuff all the time, comes in very handy on jobs, but today I bought a pack of six bite-size nuggets, foil-blister packed like meds. Carefully cut out one portion and found a place for it in my McGyver kit that rides in the top friction pocket of my Octa.
    The pack o' 6 costs more by weight than a full tube, but each unit is protected from atmosphere and really how much do I want to carry? I'm feeling very self-satisfied right now, confident at some point in my future I will be the guy who saves the day with my little nugget of cross-linked-polymer awesomeness. Don't know when, don't know where, but it will happen.
    So I was wondering if there's anyone else who actually EDCs on their person, the miracle that is Epoxy Putty? Any good stories? Ideas for use, beyond the obvious?
    Also in the McGyver kit (a harmonica case) are four small cable ties, a Micra and Fenix EO5 wrapped in zinc oxide tape. There's room for something else, but I just haven't found it yet. Ideas welcome.

aasoverteakettle and ballistic like this.
  2. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Have 2 small packets of Sugru in one of my bags as well as a couple of zip ties and the ever ubiquitous duct tape.

aasoverteakettle likes this.
  3. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Does anyone else find duct tape goes gooey in the heat? I found Gorilla Tape especially bad for this, it bothers me so much I don't carry it anymore. Anyone try gaffer tape instead of duct? I have never tried it myself.

4. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I carry the liquid but I've never come across the putty. I'll check it out next time I'm at a hardware store

5. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Where did you find the small packets? I do carry a single use super glue that has saved the day a few times, buy this might be worth adding.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

The six-packs are very common in Irish hardware stores on the adhesives rack, I bet they're for sale in your local place. Those mini superglues are amazing no? I also EDC one, saved the day several times, mostly to fix splitting fingernails. Do you do the baking soda thing? My project for this evening is to make drinking straw mini-doses of baking soda to partner with the glue. With that combo, some putty, and some tape, I think it's all covered. Another trick I discovered is using cotton thread as a reinforcement for the superglue - just like fibreglass matting in epoxy resin - wrap the item to be glued (if situationally appropriate) with thread, then saturate with superglue and finally sprinkle with baking soda to cure.

wvmtneer307 likes this.
  7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

You can also take a big tube and slice it up into whatever size nuggets you prefer to use. You can cut circles out of old milk cartons or coffee bags to carry em in your edc;
    [​IMG]
    Altoid-tin sized tin for size reference. It's about 1/8 of a regular stick as they are being sold here. Holds up great like this.

aasoverteakettle and The Slap like this.
  8. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

So true. Cheaper that way too, and can cut to the exact depth of your kit. I would wrap it in foil just for extra security. So have you used your putty for anything interesting in an EDC type situation while out and about?

9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Honestly only plugged a screw hole or two, total overkill for the stuff but you use what you have i guess.

I carry those slices in little zip lock bags, it can get messy indeed if you don't wrap em in something.

10. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

random61 likes this.
  11. Thesteve_global

Thesteve_global Loaded Pockets

I keep liquid epoxy in my car kit, used it to fix my nephew's glasses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Thanks for reminding, I binged listened to that series a few months back, but forgot about it. Excellent podcasts -makes you think...another thing about the Epoxy Putty is you can fabricate items, parts and "tools" with it on the fly - within reason. Paired with an actual multitool you can really go to town, shaping the stuff with pliers, blades, making holes with a reamer, filing the finished product etc. Using a lubricant to prevent adherence, like Chapstick, one could make a complex mold of a broken item, grease it, then cast a copy of the item. You could even produce simple compound tools, with rivets greased with Chapstick eg. Simple trigger mechanism.

ballistic likes this.
  13. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I have a pocket-sized repair kit that includes, among other things, the JB Weld packets along with the little mixing stick and a 3" x 5" index card for mixing on.

Don't forget about a length of glue stick. It can be melted with a lighter.

14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I don't believe the rubber based adhesive in duct/Gorilla tape ever cures per se. It's very prone to melting and releasing at higher temperatures. We're not talking about combustion temperatures either. For the most part, either are pretty worthless for use in car interiors during the summer.... even in the North East.

Haven't tried gaffers tape. Probably less residue, but probably also less strength compared to duct tape (under ideal conditions).

ATB,
    Sam

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Rock put a hole in my clutch cover on my old KTM dirt bike about 5 mi from home... Sent my riding partner back to the house to grab the "stick" epoxy and a quart of oil I had in the garage. Came back, wiped the oil off the case, kneaded some of it up, stuck it on, filled it up and off I went. Worked great! Lasted a few rides until the replacement cover came in. I'm a fan! But don't EDC it

16. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I think JB Weld owes its existence largely to dirt bikers.