1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone EDC a straw?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by zenlunatic, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

0.313" OD, 0.035" wall thickness. It was the closest size I could find to the reusable plastic straws I've been using for years.

2. lcranston

lcranston Loaded Pockets

Looks good! Titaniumjoe is good to go. I have done business with him in the past on multiple occassions. Here is a straw I did a while back blasted and flame colored:

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

You don't even know where it's been! :green:

:lolhammer:

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

interesting concept, what makes you want to carry a straw?

i've always figured that straws are readily available wherever drinks are (i keep straws in a kitchen drawer for sipping iced teas, or whatever- don't carry though), but i mean, if you get a soda from a vending machine, they don't give a straw.
    how's titanium work as far as mold resistance (biggest issue with food-grade tubing, imo)?

5. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Actually a lot of zoos as well as animal theme parks do not have straws, too easy for them to find their way into animal habitats and pose a health hazzard. I live near zoo and busch gardens here in Tampa. Within an hour and a half I can hit Disney or Sea World, having my own straw makes sense...

6. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

good heads up on the 7-11 aluminum straw. i went out yesterday and bought 2 for my 5.11 push pack.

7. A3C86

A3C86 Loaded Pockets

8. Yikes!

Yikes! Loaded Pockets

Not since the 80's have I had the need to EDC a straw. But anything Ti is cool right now.

9. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

10. Hagerwarrior

Hagerwarrior Loaded Pockets

wow thanks Nephiel no more cereal milk in my beard>

11. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

As much as I want to EDC a straw (Al or Ti), I just can't seem to justify it. I could see keeping a couple in the glove compartment of my car for milkshakes or slushies. Something that always ****** me off is when you buy a bottle of pop (soda for our American friends), and all the store has is straws that are too short. I usually have to slide one straw into the second to make a longer straw but that only works until the fluid level is below the connection point.

Anyway, anyone know of any health issues with (i.e. against) using an Al or a Ti straw regularly? What about a stainless steel straw (yes heavier but this is a straw and won't be that big).

Great thread and I know I'll end up with a metal straw or two in my car eventually.

12. Hagerwarrior

Hagerwarrior Loaded Pockets

Someone got the phone # for letherman I want a strew I'm my next Multi Tool

13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I guess for anyone using them regularly it means you have a known clean straw (not one sitting open in a box on the counter) and are reusing it, so it is a bit kinder than using up disposable plastic versions regularly.

Personally it does seem a bit of a waste to me. The vast majority of the drinks I buy on the move come in bottles with screw caps or sports lids so are safe to drink from (the contact areas are all sealed under the cap prior to opening, unlike a can which has the rim exposed to the environment), and I just suck up using a disposable the few times I do use a straw given the infrequent nature of my use. If you do often get drinks in containers that use straws though, it may be worth carrying...

14. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Now this is one EDC item I think I can do without, though I know my son would love one.

As for mold and bacteria, if you have a metal straw, it's easy to sterilize. Just put it in the oven, say 200 degrees Celsius for a while and that should kill any nasties hiding inside.

15. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

On top of that, titanium oxide has UV-activated bactericidal properties.

Anyway, I clean mine regularly, either with a pipecleaner + dish soap, or in the dishwasher.

16. ACHË

ACHË Loaded Pockets

I EDC a straw.

Just a regular paper wrapped clear plastic one.

I've never used it for drinking, but it goes in a small pouch(Maxpedition Cocoon) where I keep food & food related supplies.

It's so small that it doesn't significantly contribute to my EDC's weight and the pouch would be equally "bulky" with or without it.

17. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

To resurrect this dead thread: Is 7-11 still selling their aluminum straws, and if so, anyone willing to pick one up? No 7-11 around these parts, and people on eBay want way too much money for a 99¢ item.

18. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

I think I still have some brand new still in the package, let me check and I'll let you know

19. SciPug

SciPug Empty Pockets

I got a really nice looking stainless steel set from Amazon and a straw cleaner. Super inexpensive. I got them because I didn't want my two year old son to drink from plastic straws (most of which have BPA and other bad stuff in them). But now that I have them I use them all the time. It's so much nicer than a plastic straw. Do I EDC it, though? No. But I just might start.

20. mollett89

mollett89 Loaded Pockets

haha i need to stop browsing this site you guys keep showing me things that my mind says i must have