1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone EDC A Stove?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by reppans, Mar 28, 2016.

1. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

2. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Not on me, but an MSR pocket rocket in the trunk with some water and titanium cookware.

reppans likes this.
  3. edcss

edcss Loaded Pockets

Truck bag has a Vargo titanium wood stove, Snow Peak stove, Snow peak cookware, plates, bowl, sporks, and freeze dried meals.

twoisone and reppans like this.
  4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Vehicle store makes sense. I need to go minimalist and carry in my EDC bag since I tend to spread my transport across a variety of human- & motor-powered, and public, transportation.

twoisone likes this.
  5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nope but all the vehicles..... yup.

Edit: No glasses on..I thought it said shovel... oh man!

[​IMG]mumbo car shovel by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I have a small pyromid in my vehicle stash.

Sent by owl post.

reppans likes this.
  7. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

No stove but I have a stainless steel grate in the back of my blazer. Enough rocks and trees around here I can build a makeshift grill with it.

reppans likes this.
  8. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

Well, not edc, but when I go to the woods with my kids we usually carry this silly little thing:

[​IMG]

Ikea stove for wood or Trangia burner. A safe way to have open fire for light, warmth and cooking. Can take my pot, cup or steel bottle. The steel tent pegs help set it up an any surface. Gathering firewood is fun for kids. We could make a real fire but usually there's no need.

I have tried several models and the less metal I carry the better. Latest version is essentially just a wind shield, pics later.

jag-engr, Nick4305 and reppans like this.
  9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

I keep a Whisperlite in the CR-V. My day pack has a Pocket Rocket in it.

reppans likes this.
  10. Browncoat

Browncoat Empty Pockets

I carry a penny/hobo stove in my backpack.

reppans likes this.
  11. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I like my Zip, but a second 'alcohol setup' would be nice.

reppans likes this.
  12. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

It's not EDC, but I have a foldup Sterno stove in my truck kit.

reppans likes this.
  13. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

If you haven't yet, I suggest you try to boil a cup of water with a Sterno stove and time it. There are at least three better, more readily available ways to pack an affordable stove. Take a look at simple alcohol stoves first if you are on a budget. If you aren't take a look at canister or multi fuel stoves. Most compact wood burning stoves surpass Sterno. Unless your mission is Fondue you will be better served with more appropriate gear ;)

Fishin Fool and reppans like this.
  14. chrisr

chrisr Loaded Pockets

Have an esbit stove in the car, in case I got stranded. For travel, I have a Tom Bihn small Q-kit with an immersion heater and tea bags/instant coffee. I always carry a Klean Kanteen insulated bottle. So in addition to beverages, there are a bunch of things you can make with just hot water.

reppans likes this.
  15. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I don't fuel it with Sterno, it's just an old stove I've had since the navy days. I actually use a little alcohol stove or some wood in a can or something for heat. I just like the larger grate. Easier for an old man to balance stuff on.:)

fourSAK, reppans and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  16. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

small DIY alchohol stove from a soda can, a cup and enough fuel to boil two cups of water in backpack when riding on a bike or hiking.
    sometimes I think it's weird and overkill, but it's fun, weighs almost nothing (stove+fuel=less than 50g) and saved the day more than once.

Last edited by flux, Apr 8, 2016
    reppans likes this.
  17. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

No, I see no reason to. If I had a vehicle I would probably have one in there.

I just can't see any situation where a stove would be useful for me in my regular EDC.

reppans likes this.
  18. Cerberus.

Cerberus. Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Always in my truck, especially useful when stuck traveling.

Stay Bladed.

Rainy, syntaxerrorsix and reppans like this.
  19. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

If hiking, yes. Or walking in the woods somewhere I'll stop and have some coffee or hot chocolate or tea. I'm a stovaholic (certified FaceBook groupee) and have tons of stoves...

Firebox 5" Gen1, Gen2; Firebox Nano Gen1, Firebox Emergency folding stove; MSR Pocket Rocket; Emberlit; 180 TACK Stove; Kelly Kettle; Trangia Gas Burner; Trangia small Spirit Burner; Bushbox XL; Bushbox EDC; Bushbox Ultralight; Chinese no-name eBay stainless stove; Swedish Mess Kit/stove (Trangia Military size burner); Silverfire Scout; Pathfinder Canteen Stove-stand; Pathfinder Bottle Stove-stand; Pathfinder Alcohol Burner.

And, I even have the Bushcraft EDC Stove, and yes it is that tiny and yes it does cook.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Not surprised stoves, if anything, are reserved for vehicle and/or special use (eg, hiking) EDC. For the incremental size/weight of a golf ball, for me, it has earned a true EDC spot in my messenger bag, and now that I've used it for while, have no plans to go back to save an oz. of weight. I don't count the fuel (190 grain alcohol) anymore since it has become my favorite EDC multi-tool, and frankly, it's better than the stove itself.

I must have my cuppa joe first thing in the morning (can't even drop a deuce w/o it), and throwing in an instant oatmeal makes for a good b'fast while traveling - I hate having to search for coffee in the AM when away from home. I also like a coffee/tea with my afternoon snack, wherever I am, and I need my dinner/evening cocktail (the fuel). On longer hikes, I carry Mountain House freeze-dried meals and tea, and to kill two birds with one stone, I'll use mountain stream water (filtered though a paper coffee filter) to save my bottled drinking water - water filters like the Sawyer Mini are still too bulky/infrequently used for my EDC. I also like the option of being able to pick-up canned food/soup, and fuel (HEET), at most gas stations for a hot meal while on the go.

I love the idea of wood burning stoves, and have one, but I live in a fire ban area, dislike the associated stove/pot soot, and can't use one indoors.

Anyways, I've been working on getting my ~10 lb/L EDC messenger bag up to the minimalist equivalent of my backpacking rig, and this cook kit filled a big hole. The last hole I'm trying to figure out is how to EDC a sleeping bag (or equivalent) with an acceptable bulk/usage ratio - i.e., useful in normal urban/suburban life.

This sums it up well for me too:

Mill321 likes this.