1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone EDC a musical instrument?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by beardy, Feb 6, 2007.

1. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

It's funny, when Wolvee mentioned an ocarina, Mountain Ocarinas was one of the first placed I ended up and was fascinated by all the material selections they had. Any chance of you doing a more in depth review of the Poly?

ATB,
    Sam

2. GrumpyGrizzly

GrumpyGrizzly Loaded Pockets

This guy will give you a little inspiration on what a ukelele can do. My Guitar Gently Weeps

3. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

What do you think is the easiest instrument to learn? I'd love to be able to break out an ocarina or harmonica and strike up a tune to liven up a party, but I don't have a lot of spare time to learn.

I played sax for about 10 years in school. I've tried recorder and the fingering is similar enough that I can play it off music (poorly), but it's really too long for easy edc, unless you guys know of a shorter version (I'm thinking that's generally what an ocarina is).

Of course, if it's cool enough I'd make room for it, like a VERY simple concertina that you can just pick up and start playing chords. I would think if you learned about 5 chords you could play enough party songs to keep everyone entertained. Also, on that you could sing and play.

What about an melodica? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzGAjD3pU1I

4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Supposedly the Mountain ocarinas like the poly version pictured above are supposed to be easier to learn to play because the fingerhole arrange is a bit more inline than the traditional style ones. They are also relatively portable and available in a variety of materials. More info at: http://www.mountainsocarina.com/ocarinas.htm

And the FAQs on why you may or may not want a Mountain Ocarina can be found >> here <<.

ATB,
    Sam

5. Inner Prop

Curse you guys! I've been looking at ukuleles on Youtube all day and now I want one for edc! A pox upon you all (grin)![​IMG]

6. Cannonbo

Cannonbo Empty Pockets

i do

i edc a double bass and an amp actually (in my car). since thats how i make a living...

7. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

While it may not be particularly traditional, I am often to be found carrying a Nintendo DS and a copy of the Korg DS-10 - a software recreation of the MS-10 synth on the DS.

I can never get the :censored: thing to do what I want, but fun and musical none the less ;) (I should say that that is entirely down to my lack of skill, the software is excellent...)

8. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Similar topics merged. :baa:

9. kimsalls

kimsalls Loaded Pockets

I keep a harmonica in the car for when I am stuck in traffic.

10. Inner Prop

That's weird. I could have sworn that I got the idea of a ukulele as an EDC instrument from this thread, but I just read through it again and no body mentioned the uke. Wow. I must be losing my mind.

Anyway, I still want one. If I get one I'll let you all know how it works out as an EDC, k?

11. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

Actually, I mentioned it. I bought a Lanikai as my first Uke. They are inexpensive but come with really nice strings and sound great. I like the pineapple style Ukes and the Lanikai is a great price. $55 on Amazon

[​IMG]

I had to buy a case for it separately, it only comes with a cardboard one. I got this one on Amazon also for about $40
    [​IMG]

Inner Prop likes this.
  12. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

Sax huh? Did you see the Xaphoon I linked earlier?

13. Inner Prop

Ha ha, I'm on Ukulele Underground and a thread they have there on EDC, and I'm on here at the same time!

I'm asking the wife for a Makala dolphin for Christmas.

I saw the Xaphoon, but for the price I can get a uke and be able to sing along with myself, which is what I'd really like to do now.

14. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

If you can swing it, pick up a flea or a fluke. I love mine and they are very durable.

+1 on Uke underground too :) I sometimes hop into those live jam sessions they setup. Fun group.

15. Inner Prop

I got a Lanikai LU21 for Christmas and a gig bag. This thing is so tiny (I hadn't realized) that I could edc it.
    [​IMG]

16. vioalas

vioalas Loaded Pockets

Time to revive a thread!

I have my viola with me at least five days a week for most of the year. And I've been doing that for almost ten years now.

I just got a new instrument a month ago, which is awesome. But that means I need a new case! I'll probably post a review on here about the case I just bought. The also make custom rifle cases for anyone interested ;)

SAKplumber and mooshi like this.
  17. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) Hohner Special 20 (harmonica).

haha As tiny as a uke can be, I just can't take that with me everywhere. I'll keep it in my car, though.

Mighty Max likes this.
  18. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't carry it every day, but...
    [​IMG]

...a small synthesizer is a wonderful thing to carry when I do :)

mooshi likes this.
  19. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I started playing harmonica about a year ago and when I'm hanging out on the weekends it makes its way into my edc bag, but I don't carry it to work often. I also have a flute, clarinet, and alto sax, but I haven't really EDC'd any of them since my college days. They only tag along with me a couple times a week now.

20. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

I am planning on buying a ukulele soon. Maybe I'll try lugging that thing around for a bit.