1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone EDC a Chromebook?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by TomWelch, Sep 28, 2015.

1. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I well understand the pros and cons of Google Chromebooks,
    but what's your real world experience?

2. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

My mum has one she's 71 and gets on fine with it. I've used it a couple of times on the Internet and it's a great machine for that, fast enough too. The acid test though for me was when she got it I thought here we go I'm going to get calls saying can you help ? Well in 2 years I've had ZERO calls.

3. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Rather use a tablet and a BT keyboard for when I need to type. Tablet alone does most of the real work for me compared to a Chromebook. Certainly it depends what you're trying to accomplish. For me, the extra bulk doesn't cut it.

4. DESTRO

DESTRO Loaded Pockets

I have had a Acer C720 for a few months now. For what I would typically use a confuser for, I think a Chromebook is about ideal. Surfing the web, reading forums, google docs, listening to podcasts, streaming Netflix, reading pdf's, and it cranks. The only thing that it can't do directly is print, but it is as simple as an email to a desktop or I suppose I could set up a network attached printer if the mood suits me. I do like the speed at which it boots and the long battery life per full charge. Updates are about painless and takes an 5 second boot plus an additional couple seconds.

I traveled this summer with the Chromebook and it was just fine. Slip it into a pocket in my Maxped Kodiak and go. I was quickly able to dump my camera pics onto the web using the built in SD card slot and If there was not web available there is enough onboard storage to get by. Unlike my wife's ipad, I have yet to run into a wireless connection this thing can't connect to.

I have had a Chrome Box for a while now so there was nothing to get used to when this Chromebook arrived. Some don't like the Chrome OS experience, but it is not too much to figure out in a few minutes.

Would I buy one again, absolutely. Would I carefully troll eBay for another used Chromebook, absolutely.

5. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

With respect to printing documents to a local printer,
    I've been told you can simply convert the document to
    a PDF file and print to a non-internet printer using
    Google Docs

6. Recon1

Recon1 Loaded Pockets

I have been using my Chromebook for a few years now. I think if you are a minimalist computer user it is a great platform. There is very little, if any, headaches to deal with. Alot of the apps are native so you don't need a internet connection to use them.

I never gave much thought to EDCing mine. I have it hooked up to a external display so I just leave it on my desk. I would think a tablet would be easier and more affordable to EDC.

7. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I would definitely use one for "questionable" travel.

There were a lot of reports of hacked laptops from the 2014 Olympics in Russia, for example. At least one journalist did a story about it. He got 2 brand new, out of the box but updated macbook pros hacked within seconds of connecting at his hotel.

Something like that...yeah. I'd use a Chromebook and some other ridiculous precautions (to avoid logging into anything) and then just not bring it home with me.

But I actually need a real computer for a lot of what I do. For normal people, I think they're fantastic.

MakersMark177 likes this.
  8. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I ordered an Asus C201 off of Amazon yesterday and will get it Monday