1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone carrying one of these?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Strayz, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

So I have been mulling it over for a while now as my Benchmade Elishewitz is getting a bit to long in the tooth for carry after 16 years. I was wondering if any one has carried or used over the long term a Benchmade Osborne Axis Lock 940?

Likes, Dislikes and over all opinions?

2. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

The 940 has been a mainstay in their lineup for a while. I'm not crazy about the handle, didn't seem to fit my hand that well, but I think it's a solid knife overall.

3. Ogre

Ogre Banned

guy at work has been carrying one for years, by the looks of it. it feels very quality and he says its been very reliable for him. dosnt feel good in my hands but then again i have ogre hands, and his are pretty small in comparison.

4. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Which Benchmade Elishewitz? He designed at least a half dozen models for Benchmade over the years, and I own most of 'em.

I have a 943 (pointy blade, black handle) in my EDC rotation, I love it. Looks like a gent's knife, but despite the svelte appearance, it's been a workhorse. Still perfectly centered, no play either way, and of course the Axis lock locks up solid as a rock.

The rotation also includes one of the Ares knives (forget the exact model number, it's the one in green-and-black G10 (it's my Philadelphia Eagles knife!).

Like most Osborne designs, the 940 doesn't have a lot of belly to the blade, but then again, neither do the Elishewitz designs. The 940 is definitely slimmer and less bulky, though.

Strayz likes this.
  5. takenaway

takenaway Loaded Pockets

My is perfectly centered and locks up solid. It's a great knife and super smooth. The f&f is top notch. It's nice and light too. Great knife all around. It has an almost 1:1 handle to blade ratio too. Very long and sleek.

Matt130 likes this.
  6. Yarak

Yarak Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying one for two years now and I absolutely love it (I EDC it at work [LEO]). It looks great and feels great. I wasn't sure if I'd like the handle when I first saw it, but those doubts were completely erased the first time I held it. I was also a little worried about durability issues (it feels so light in the hand), but it has stood up to some pretty rigorous use with no issues at all. It opens very easily, locks up tight, no blade play, and blade is centered nicely. I have no complaints about it. The finish on the anodized handles can scratch but I kinda like how it has "aged".

Strayz likes this.
  7. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

I love my 940. It's a good length but nice and slim so it carries really well, and the reverse tanto blade is awesome.

Strayz likes this.
  8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

9. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Another 940 lover, picked a well loved one up in the B/S/T a few months ago and it's become a constant companion, slim, well proportioned blade, carries small, opens nicely with the thumbstud (my only thumbstud opener that I like). I added a deep carry clip from the Adamas, pretty close to perfect. Might be too long for some cities.

Cheers, Ted

SAKplumber and Strayz like this.
  10. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying a 940BK around for a few years and it is by far the smoothest opening knife I have ever owned (other Benchmade's come close, but no other brand does). I buy knives all the time and I found myself being disappointed with the deployment speed, for the longest time I just thought there was a problem with the knives, but I then realized it was because I was comparing them all to a 940 (apparently you can't do that). I would highly recommend it, the aluminum handle will take some getting used to, but once you do you will love it. Also I prefer the reverse tanto blade shape over the clip point of the 943, in case you were wondering about that option.

The one and only complaint (and it isn't a big deal) is the pocket clip, the paint comes off pretty easily. But it is an easy fix, just email Benchmade and ask them to send you a couple black oxide clips, remember to ask politely and the problem is solved. They will send out replacement clips for free. And after you put a few years of wear on a 940, just send it in and for 25-35 bucks they will replace the blade for you. I had an older version with 154CM steel, but sent it in when BM released the 940's in S30V steel, 35 bucks later and I have an almost brand new 940 with premium steel.

Here are a couple pictures of my new 940BK that I bought last month. I call my 940 the Green Goblin, green, black, and purple and made by a man named Osborne. How can you not love that purple titanium back spacer? One of my all time favorite knives, I like the knife so much I bought it twice! If you do decide on a 940 you won't be disappointed. There is a reason this knife has so many fans. :smile_coffee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here it is with the black oxide clip...:frantic:

SAKplumber, Strayz and aldo_vic_t like this.
  11. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

I have and actually used tonight, (cheese crackers), one of the old Elishewitz Benchmades. The one with the black and purple handle. I loved the thin blade shape, but never really cared for the handle color.