1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone carrying a coffee mug?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Anonymous Romanian, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Gotitonme

Gotitonme Loaded Pockets

I carry a Klean Kanteen on the side of my Versi-pack but I don't think I have ever put coffee in it.[​IMG]

gstojinovic likes this.
  2. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

For longer trips by car I use a travel mug from Emsa.
    And often I have a titanium coffee mug in my bag because I don´t like to use single-use plastic coffee mugs.

[​IMG]

GRH and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

On road trips I always have a travel mug with a spill proof lid in the console of the car. Around home, I did keep a 'mug of the week' in my bag for the daily visit to my favorite coffee shop(s).

Both ended with the start of the Plague... my coffee shops (mostly Peet's but sometimes Starbucks) both refused customers' mugs. There was a valid(?) concern that as steaming coffee was poured into a mug, said steam could carry contaminants back up into their urn... which of course 'could' have been happening all along if it were going to happen. Now of course both have very limited service with no seating...

I just bring the paper cups home for the recycling bin. Before anyone chimes in, yes I do realize not all recycling really turns out that way... but that's something I can't do much about given that bringing my own mug is no longer acceptable! Yes, the alternative is to brew at home. But that eliminates the remnant of social life I can still have....:(

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

dischu likes this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

The sandwich place? I wouldn't drink coffee there... :confused:

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I have an insulated bottle, which can work for hot and cold beverages.

When i put coffee in it, it will stay hot for a day or two.

I do edc, as I drink a lot of water and coffee.
    Thinking of getting another, mine is a klean kanteen.

6. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wish i could.
    Coffee prohibited to me from one of those weird men called cardiogist...

GRH and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

As to the OPs question, from 2011. Maybe it was a bit of fashion/hype around that time. I don’t remember when fancy travel mugs started to hit the market with full force, but style and marketing could certainly have played a role.
    Today, though, I think most people bring a coffee mug because the coffee they make at home is better, more affordable or both. There is also those that doesn’t have an alternative, that might have switched from thermos to travel mug when they became convenient enough. And there is the environmental footprint, but although that’s an attitude we need to see more of, I’m not really sure how effective it is in this case. Generally bringing your own cup comes out on top - environmentally, but there’s a lot of variables, and it might not always be the case.

I bring my own coffee in my own Bodum travel mug when I drive to work. That’s not all days, but unfortunately more and more often.
    I do it mostly because the coffee is better, but also makes the time i spend in the car more enjoyable. A good cup of joe and a good podcast is the second best way to start the day, if you can’t run or bike.

My main gripe with travel mugs is the material. I’m on a plastic mug ATM, as it is in my experience the best option widely available with regards to taste and surface insulation. I had one in another material that was basically a synthetic version of ceramic, no taste distortion and about equal insulation, but it broke and I can’t find a similar replacement.

GRH likes this.
  8. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I carry a 14 oz Yeti Rambler in my backpack. I've had many double-wall insulated coffee cups and I like the Yeti best.

9. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Still using a contigo west loop (although not every day because most days I don’t go anywhere) and it’s still good and has never leaked. The plastic bit is still a pain to clean (as is the rest of it really). I wouldn’t swap it.

EDIT - I also have, judging by their website, a Transit (or something with a very similar lid). Slightly susceptible to leaks but only under real duress and not intuitive to drink from when it’s dark or you’re driving but much easier to clean.

Last edited by Tallboyjim, Jul 28, 2020
    #29 Tallboyjim, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    GRH likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

This whole discussion triggered my memories from my personal 'way back' machine... Among the mugs I used to edc on a rotation was a travel mug designed for use in the car before cup holders were a common thing.... Back then, whilst dinos still walked around.. I had several mugs that were basically an adaptation of an Erlenmeyer flask (umm... I was a biochem major. Google it ;) ). And like any good such mug of this type mine always had a non-slip rubberized bottom which was right handy in the car I can tell you!

Whenever I brought said mug into today's shops the gang find it an amazing piece of crockery... especially when I tell the back story. :)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

GRH and aicolainen like this.
  11. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

That right there, is the single most important item in a car, that's not essential to its main function.
    I've actually had a few cars in modern times (post dinosaurs) that didn't have this. The one that comes to mind is a 95/96 Ford Mondeo. A manual shift, even. It's absolutely ridicules and unforgiving to omit such an important feature. I'll even consider it a safety feature, cause people will drink their coffee either way... and there is really no other place to safely place a cup of smoking hot joe if the need arise.

Nick4305 likes this.
  12. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I used to. When my drive to work was over half an hour I used a 16 oz. insulated cup that I picked up on a college tour while I was in high school: used that cup enough that the logo branding has almost completely worn away after daily washing for years. It got used a lot.

These days my drive to work is relatively short and we have a Keurig in the office that the company keeps stocked with coffee. I keep a vintage 6 oz. Victor diner mug on a mug warmer on my desk: keeps my coffee perpetually warm so there's no rush to drink it. I have no need to EDC a coffee cup/mug anymore.

13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I carry a 40oz ozark trail stainless steel tumbler with an aftermarket handle full of tea. If it's a longer trip I have a 64oz growler I'll fill up so I can top off my cup.

I have to drink liquids all the time due to a condition where my body doesn't absorb water like it should. Have your colon removed and you will understand. I normally drink at least 2 gallons of tea daily when it's hot outside.

14. Moshe ben David

Well.... back in the day when virtually NO cars had built in cup holders, we also bought holders that could hang on the inside of the door...a sort of hook fit between the window and the door frame. These were intended mostly for holding a beverage can (soft drink of course! ;) ) but could also hold a takeout cup of coffee. These are virtually impossible to find in stores now in the US, although possibly in thrift shops or low cost stores or auto parts stores.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

eBay still do them new. Our first van (not new) didn’t have any so we made some out of ply and screwed it into the dash (not a new van!). It was taken out and put in the second van (newer, still not new). I might do the same on the secondary van, as the “cup holder” and I use the term very loosely, is about an inch above cigarette lighter. If an unsecured cup leaks the results could be serious.

Sort it citroen/fiat/ Peugeot!

16. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_91100?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-RWLZfR0Y2SC_4t5X26WcWbk5qpCwp6UM7ugmNqr4vV0Rvifx5cl4oaAnFPEALw_wcB

17. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

In another case of WT:censored:, Yeti will sell you one for $25. Yup.... same familar kind you slip into the window glass slot.

ATB,
    Sam

18. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

Yeti is out of control with their prices; I truly wanted to get one of their coolers. Originally $300, it was marked down to $250 at a local Ace Hardware. I happened to walk in and see it. But later that day I saw an Igloo cooler, just as sturdy and basically the same size, for $99 at Target. I got the Igloo.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  19. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't pay what Yeti charges for coolers but I do like their 14 oz cup and 36 oz bottle. I've had the same job for 26 years and I've been through many kinds of thermos and insulated mugs and the Yetis I bought 5 years ago have done the best job out of all the others.

GRH likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

neo71665 likes this.