1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone carrying a coffee mug?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Anonymous Romanian, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

Lately I had noticed more and more people carrying coffee mugs in the subway.
    [​IMG]
    There are a few people whom I see every day on my way to work and some colleagues have started doing this.
    Is it a new fashion trend I don't know about? Do you EDC your coffee?
    I don't and don't plan on doing it, it is not practical when you walk about a mile to work, besides the subway.

2. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

RogerStenning likes this.
  3. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I guess if you are one of the addicted who *needs* their coffee in the morning, this is an easy, convenient and safe way to carry it...

At the same time, I don't drink coffee, and if I need a drink, I either have before I leave, or when I get to work - I am not exactly commuting transatlantic where I would die of dehydration halfway without something.

4. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

No coffee mug, but I will carry a Thermos from time to time.

5. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I currently drive a taxi. I bring a travel mug of coffee to work because it keeps my coffee hot, is reusable, and is less prone to fling coffee everywhere inside the cab than a paper cup if the mug somehow gets tipped over or if the cab gets T-boned (which happened to me once - no one was injured). I also tend to use a travel mug for coffee when I'm working at an office job, for some of the same tipping-over considerations, and because I don't have to trust anyone else's dish-washing habits.

6. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I carry one occasionally. it means I can make a coffee at home, and then take it where ever I'm headed.
    so for example, the coffee served at my uni canteen is either awful, over-priced, or both. but some days I go in early, because me and a some of my coursemates will have a chat for 1/2 an hour or so before the first lecture starts. most of them have a coffee at the same time, so I bring the travel mug as a cost saving measure.

equally, it's handy because it keeps the coffee hot for longer. so I can take it down when I help out at the local scout troop (with their rubbish heating system) and be sure that I've got a hot drink availble throughout the 2 hour meeting. or even when I'm on a scout camp, especially in mid-winter, I don't have to rush my coffee down just to be sure I don't end up drinking lukewarm coffee.

so it's not a true EDC item, but it comes in handy from time to time.

7. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

I guess it all depends on the situation. I agree that at work I drink instant coffee or a cup from the machine (at least it is Lavazza). Lately I had stopped drinking that much. When I was a caffeine junky I had seen one of those portable cups that had a mixer inside on batteries and I had seen a USB cup that was keeping it warm. I still keep a pack of instant coffee in my drawer and some tea. Can't go wrong with tea. So... Anyway, I guess it's a fashion trend to carry your home-made coffee in public. Starbucks' just hasn't picked any momentum here.

8. DrekThanos

DrekThanos Loaded Pockets

I have carried a snow peak insulated mug for the last 4 years and will continue to everyday. I recently downsized to an H300 which is, imho, the perfect size at about 10oz. When I walk into chain coffee shops (starbucks, seattle, krispy, dunkin, etc) they often don't charge me or charge me a greatly reduced rate. If you drink coffee or tea, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Decreases your carbon footprint and increases your pocket money

9. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

No, because I don't drink coffee, but I do EDC a Slurpee straw for my occasional frozen cola. Mostly, I'm drinking water from the six 27oz. Klean Kanteens I lug around. They are like mugs without handles, so I cange my initial response to "yes". :smile_coffee:

10. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

I'm waiting at the moment for my mugs to arrive... Was looking at different variations, but I've choose goContigo Auto Seal mug. I was drawn by it's 0 spill and one hand operating system...

While I spend a lot of time in car, or on site, and love cofee, this was the way for me.

Now I'm looking at Klean Kanteen for water carry...

11. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Hard to go wrong with Klean Kanteens. Pretty much bullet proof (mine see very ruff, albeit unintentional, treatment). Never a weird taste. Worse thing you can say is there might be condensation under certain conditions; a minor point for me. If that's a problem, they make an insulated version. Had a long history with Nalgene, but since making the switch, I haven't looked back.

12. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

i recently went with a kleen kanteen insulated and threw the rest out.. i tried oxo and contigo and tossed them for one main reason, cleaning those oho lids is impossible i had 6 various ones and i cracked one open and retched because ever after soaking and dishwasher runs there was green stuff in the lid.. ill never go back

gstojinovic likes this.
  13. Sailsmaker89

Sailsmaker89 Loaded Pockets

I do suppose for some it is a defensive measure for those who can't carry something more specialized,.. hot coffee to dissuade any further aggression then the coffee mug as a short thick baton or to buy time to get to more serious defensive items stowed away (concealed)

Me I need the caffine because I'm not a morning person..

xtrajack and jdavidboyd like this.
  14. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

Not always but once or twice. Most of the time I have my Nalgene, with or without water.
    There's always a water source/fountain within walking distance but it would be good to have something to carry it in when you need to.

15. Kontractor

Kontractor Loaded Pockets

I have an OIF mug, a cheapo silver one that I paid next to nothing for, and an insulated thermos thingie that USED to have OND labeling on it... I guess it kept stuff hot but the writing wore off. I don't regularly EDC one though.

16. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

I do have some second thought about cleaning of Contigo auto seal lid system. Though I decided on it while I need spill proof and instant activation.... AFAIK no other producer has that system...

Though now I'm looking at Klean Kanteen wide mouth, standard and insulated bottles...

17. drb328
    • In Omnia Paratus

drb328 Loaded Pockets

I use a travel mug every morning on the way to work, with the half hour commute i drink my coffee and gather myself before the day ahead. multitasking comes in handy sometimes

18. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I take 2 thermoses, 1 liter, and 1/2 liter, of coffe to work every night, along with a cup.

19. HybridMomentsPass

I think its less dying of dehydration, and more for comfort. I, for one, would rather have a beverage on me for any time that I am thirsty rather than waiting the twenty minutes until I get to work. Yeah, not going to pass out or die in that short time, but one simple thing could keep you more comfortable. So why not.

Why do you ask if its a new fashion trend because you see many people doing it? Convinience. People do it because they want their stuff with them while they are communiting.
    Like someone said above, no different than carrying a water bottle.

I've done it before, but dont make coffee at home anymore.

20. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

i carry one of those stainless camping mugs with the folding handles, because my 32oz nalgene fits right into it, so it doesn't take up any space. i live in the sierra nevada foothills though so my situation is different.