1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone carry emersons

Discussion in 'Knives' started by lsutiger1010, Jul 28, 2008.

?

are emersons good

1. yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. flip

flip Empty Pockets

I picked up a Benchmade Emerson a while back. I tried to like it but I guess I'm just not an Emerson guy. It will probably be sent to a new home soon.

2. surespyder

surespyder Empty Pockets

Yup, it definitely does work well. I was playing with my Delica yesterday, and it really opens with force when waved. I just bought a Fox Cutlery (Italy) karambit and it has a wave of sorts too. It's not very pronounced though. Waiting to receive it to try it out.

3. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

There are three that come to my mind, other then The Emerson.

Cold Steel AK47

Endura

Delica

And I can actually "wave" the Zt 500 MUDD Knife. Due to the large thumb stud.

Zt 500

4. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info. That Endura is looking pretty sweet.

5. SF1

SF1 Banned

I agree. I have quite a few Emerson's and it seems the models from 98 thru 2000 have better quality than the current models do. I have kind of given up on anything that is produced currently.

Also, I am tired of the black G10 and the lousy finishes he has on the production blades. I would like some color, and a satin finish on the blades.

I have some of the custom models, and they are wonderful. The customs are a different story altogether, I will still buy one if I can get lucky at the shows.

SF1

PS... His pocket clip is my favorite!

6. jlfletcher83

jlfletcher83 Empty Pockets

I prefer them to most other knives the single edge bevel is extremely easy for me to maintain. I only have like 5 of them, but all five were excellent when I got them. The handles are something you need to try before you buy. I love some of the handles, CQC 8, 13, and 14; and hate others CQC 7,15.

7. urso

urso Loaded Pockets

I once owned an Emerson Mini-Commander and really liked it for its out and out burliness. Also the CQC-14 Snubby looks great too (again for being tank-like but also not scaring co-workers).

The only thing which stops me is fear of lock failure- I'm not a fan of the liner lock. I've heard that Emerson knives have strong locks, but personally I don't have any faith in liner locks in general and have trouble trusting my digits to them no matter who makes 'em. Now if Ernest would just offer a frame lock Snubby, I'd be in love :smitten:

8. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

I voted yes but I only have one Emerson and it is not used as a EDC.
    I really like the Benchmade 975, one is an EDC, I have 2 NIB on the way from E-Bay.

The Mach1 I have is Pretty sweet but I want a P-SARK and a Persian so I guess the Mach1 will need a new home.

Pete

9. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I carry my 8 every day. Worth the money? Yes.

Jason

10. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

I have a CQC-8 and a Super SOCFK. They are burly knives. Very tacticool. I like 'em, but I prefer my Benchmade 710 for daily use.

11. stronzza

stronzza Loaded Pockets

I'm trying to get my hands on one of his CQC customs...I read that they are pretty solid....nearly impossible to find as the flippers buy 'em up...

12. Unsub

Unsub Empty Pockets

I had a Commander which was one of the sharpest out of the box knives I have ever had but it was not something i really liked that much and I ended
    up selling it. The wave feauters attempt to neuter me had a large part to do with that.

I don't like tantos ,or partially serrted knives and was not to impressed with my commander so naturally I have a PS, CQ7 on the way :brickwall:
    It is a nonwave pre 2000 version and was only 50$ shipping included. I figured at the very least it will make a great gift and the CQ7 is a classic.

13. jkarp_53

jkarp_53 Empty Pockets

Most of mine are Benchmades, including a 970 and 970sbt. I've owned Emerson CQC7's and thought highly of them.

I have one of the new A-100-BT's in plain edge, traded a 950 Rift for it last month and love it. It's a simple and straightforward design: If Ernie wanted to go back to his "Roots", he's done it with this one. The blade's a lightly modified "A" type with the standard primary grind on the left.

On smoothness, it's OK. I think the washers are nylon which slow it down some, although it's gotten better with many opening and closing cycles. That's the only design change I would have made, a set of phosphor bronze washers would probably make all the difference. I'm currently working on that one with a call planned to EKI this coming week to find out if they can do that for me.

Cost wise, EKI's are a little more than others, but I think the extra few bucks is worth it, they're nice knives.

14. Unsub

Unsub Empty Pockets

My new 50$ CQC-7B came and it will make a great EDC beater. There is a big scratch mark on it and a tine piece of the tip is missing ,so tiny I needed to use a 5x loupe to verify it.
    The lockup is very firm but not that easy to disengage which is not a bad thing. I do much prefer Spydercos but for 50$ it is a fantastic deal.
    The only weird thing is it does not say what steel it is. My Commander was CM154 so I am assuming this is the same.

It really is a totally 90's retro style knife with the partial sserrations ,tanto and chisel grind.

15. mohctep

mohctep Empty Pockets

I've got an Benchmade Emerson CQC 7 that I have had,and carried often over the years.It has a nice,positive lock,and holds a good edge.
    The finish on the knife [grey,bead blasted looking]has not held up too well to stains,and the handle scales are getting kinda smoothed out from all the years of carry-but i have to say I still love the knife.

16. jkarp_53

jkarp_53 Empty Pockets

I have a new Emerson A-100 I've owned for a month or so and really like it. I traded a Benchmade 950 Rift for it and still consider it a good trade. Yes, it's not Axis but the A-100 is a much simpler knife to maintain. If you guys haven't tried one you really should.

Also own a Benchmade/Emerson 970 and 970s. The 970 is NIB and unused, but the 970s was purchased VERY well used from a great guy that carried it through two tours of duty over in Iraq. There's a lot of finish loss near the tip and the handle scales have smoothed a lot from use - but it just came back from Benchmade's LifeSharp service with new phosphor bronze washers and a resharpened blade, and is good for yet another 'tour of duty' in my toolbox.

Cheers,
    Joe

17. Domanfp

Domanfp Loaded Pockets

I have owned a few emersons, and I find them too heavy for EDC. But they are great knives, just not for me EDC-wise

18. Ignoramus

Ignoramus Empty Pockets

I didn't like the idea of Emersons when I first saw them. They just didn't look all that special. My opinion of them changed the moment I played with them. I owned a CQC-14 that I just sold. and I currently own a CQC-7B CE. The only reason I sold the 14 is because I just bought an expensive (expensive for me) custom. Emersons are great knives and I think most knife lovers would like at least some of the designs if they saw them up close.

19. Wir3d

Wir3d Empty Pockets

I carry a Commander for my EDC. I also own a BM 800,806 and 710. While I love my BM's I find myself reaching for my Emerson nearly everyday.
    It feels bigger and beefier compared to the BM's. Maybe im in the minority here but I like the fact that it is a brute and feels like it will take whatever I throw at it. I think it fits fine in the pocket and use the wave feature everychance I get!
    Maybe for a night out on the town i'll take one of the BMs

20. socrates

socrates Empty Pockets

Although I've got two Emersons, a Combat Karambit and a La Griffe, I don't use them as often as I do my Spydercos. I agree that they're excellent knives but for everyday practical applications I prefer my less intimidating knives. I do keep the La Griffe with me at all times as a back-up.