1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone carry a small radio?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by shakespear, Jan 8, 2015.

1. shakespear

shakespear Empty Pockets

I'd like to put one in my bag that's hand cranked and maybe has a USB out on it.

2. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

Like AM/FM radio? What with my iTunes and music/radio station apps there's no need for to edc another device, IMO. Even with just a partial charge on my phone, I've got hours of music, and a decent amount to follow news online. Add in a car charger, and a battery bank and you've got days of power. I do have a wind up radio with cell charger and flashlight in my trunk, but if I ever get to the point that I need it, well I think I have more important issues. But that's just me- you may have other needs.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry a Yaesu VX3 radio.
    I can listen to amateur and commercial broadcasts and transmit on Ham bands too.
    Tiny package with huge capabilities![​IMG]

4. coolerking

coolerking Loaded Pockets

i just treated myself to a pocket DAB radio. Not handcranked but is charged via usb which i can do via mains/computer/usb charger or my biolite stove. Not exactly what you want but i would like a mini fm type radio for my bug out bag.

5. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

I carry a Baofeng UV-82 handheld radio. It also has FM broadcast band reception and it's surprisingly good considering its main function is as a two way radio.

6. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I take a personal dab radio when I'm fishing to listen to the cricket. Takes a couple of aaa batteries

7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I have a small AM/FM/NOAA radio in my emergency bag in my vehicle. I never listen to it other than to make sure it still works every few months. I also keep a battery holder of spare batteries; AA, AAA, CR123A.

trfkcop likes this.
  8. whoppo

whoppo Loaded Pockets

I've got a considerable collection of handheld radios, but this one is the smallest and easiest to pack.
    It transmits on 6m, 2m and 70cm ham bands, but recieves AM, FM, WFM from around 500KHz to nearly 1GHz.

[​IMG]

podnumber1, bigfoot and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  9. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I have an AM/FM/SW receiver I bought from County Comm a few years back. It lives in my GHB with a few sets of batteries.

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  10. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

In the event of disaster that cuts power, cell towers have usually 3-12 hours worth of battery power. After that to hear news or instructions from authorities you need a traditional radio.

That happened just couple years ago here during christmas time. I was okay in my apartment in the city but my paren'ts place was without power for days and my grandmother for over a week. That included all nearby cell towers since they were connected to the same power grid. And that "disaster" wasn't anything more serious than heavy stormwind that fell trees over power lines, a lot of them, all over this part of the country so repairs took time.

11. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Does that mean FM/AM as well then?

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sure as well as Shortwave,Ham,Marine RR and many other bands of coverage.
    I have I think 1000 channels programmed in many banks of similar channels for quicker access as you can see there are not really enough buttons on this one.
    The nice thing is that I have it running on 2-AAA lithium Energizers and it can be stashed away like that for a long time and even transmit in a pinch at lower power from the AA cells.
    It also obviously has a higher output battery too and can run and be charged from 12vdc as well.

Great little radio!

dml24, Sharaz_Jek and twoisone like this.
  13. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

I have battery radio at home, but do not carry for daily use. I work at a hospital and have a cell tower that has its own generator and battery backup. Its made for 2 days worth combined backup (hospital required it to be to install on its property). That is 3 miles from my house. So not much concerned about being out without access to radio.

14. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

Thinking about picking up a small crank Radioshack radio. The $30 Dollar model is very small and gets decent signal Not really for EDC but small enough to. But I want to build a "Bug In Box" for my house/apartment out of a small storage trunk. Keep all of the "Survival" stuff tucked away.

15. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

ah ha. The bigger picture knew there was a reason I kept one.
    I wasn't aware cell towers had back up power. I am fortunate enough to live where the city actually owns the electric utility, with wind, and solar generation was well. And a plant that uses their waste heat to generate electricity too. The rest of the province can have brown outs, pulling more power than they make, and we're still not using as much as we generate. So major outages have never been a problem. Oh well guess that's why we have the stuff we do- just in case it does happen.

16. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Wish Icom was still making the T90! Between Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood, their latest offerings all look like they require a degree in rocket science.

For the OP: For just a basic receive radio, I still really like the Icom R6. Gives you access to AM & FM broadcast, as well as shortwave broadcast, in addition to many others. Expensive, at around $200 or under, but really well built, and runs forever on a pair of AA batteries.

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe you can get some suggestions here>> Affordable Small AM/FM Radio recomendations

Also, if you go to the Electronices Forum and search for the word Radio in the title, in that Forum only, you will see their is quite a few random radio threads. :) Good luck!

18. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I carry an Etón NFR160WX for AM/FM/weather band (solar powered, also has crank charging) and two (2) Baofeng BF-888S radios so that I can pass one to someone for ~2mi non-cellular communication if needed.

19. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I'm a ham, so I always EDC a radio with me. I usually have a TH-D72 (Kenwood) because it has a TNC and does APRS... I sometimes have a 900mhz radio as well.. For listening, CountyComm just re-released one of their radios that has SSB (listen) and works really well..

Schweinhund and powerring like this.
  20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like my TH-D72 too but that one is a battery hog!
    I also have one of the CountyComm models without SSB and it is a nice little radio but I can't figure out how to key the mic?!