1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone carry a SAK to supplement your multitool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Marlinaholic, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

I'm giving serious thought to buying a Freestyle to augment my SAK .

Chris

2. 182

182 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Vic Minichamp and a LM Sideclip.. Great combo.. :thumbsup:

3. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

Sometimes... but I usually carry a plain-edge folder like the Kershaw Skyline or Buck Vantage Pro with my MT's.

[img width=640 height=427]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UIvftVa71aQ/SvOoBCl-CII/AAAAAAAAJvo/PTSa_wg1U-U/s800/IMG_1683.JPG[/img]

[img width=640 height=427]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UIvftVa71aQ/Sv97Dxfd8TI/AAAAAAAAKeE/JdMMEhpQP6Y/s800/IMG_1957.JPG[/img]

4. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

Sadly, silly UK knife law says that anything that locks open (including MT's) is not a permitted street carry.

Hence, MT for work (where there's justification) and a SAK or other simple non-lock folder under 3 inches for everything else.

It's easy when it's decided for you!

Still, I did inadvertantly carry a Buck style locker into the local courthouse when I was on jury duty - taken the wrong coat, knife was in a pocket. Police decended on me with great wrath. Funny when you look back on it, real embarrassing at the time. I hate to think what would have happened if I'd have been toting my full EDC...

5. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Vic Cybertool 34 to supplement my LM Blast. I love the combo because I can tackle almost any problem twice as fast. The cybertool bit driver it amazing, it is pretty much the sole reason I carry it.

6. 2506sniper

2506sniper Loaded Pockets

Sometimes

If I am carrying a "simple" multitool (LM Skeletool, LM Freestyle CX) I choose a SAK to provide the tools the LM is missing. I carry using this method for whatever reason I don't want to carry a full-size MT. Here are my usual combo's.

Skeletool/Swisschamp=Full tool box. almost anything you could need
    Freestyle CX/Soldier=Minimal, but still pliers screwdrivers, awl, and the usual vic tools
    Freestyle CX/Tinker=Gaining a dedicated phillips, tweezer/toothpick, pen blade

I always carry a dedicated folder along with these set-ups. Also, I never carry the Freestyle withough an SAK and I Do sometimes carry the Skeletool without any supplemental tools. Just depends on how I feel.

7. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

SAK Climber in my pants pocket, supplemented by a Leatheman PST that rides in my messenger bag or my backpack. In the backpack, I actually "made" a compartment for the LM by removing the stitching between two pen pockets.

I am thinking of asking Santa for a LM Juice S2, though, which could replace both the PST and the Climber in my EDC.
    On the other hand... Why carry just one tool? ;)

8. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

Exactly, that wouldn't be any fun!

9. ktrout

ktrout Empty Pockets

I prefer carrying only a SAK. I feel it gives me more tools for less weight and bulk than a multi-tool.

10. sardauker

sardauker Loaded Pockets

swisstool+cybertool. great combo. I've never been disappointed.

11. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

The SOG scissors are a BIG step down from the Vic scissors. They may be more sturdy (debatable), but they sure don't cut nearly as well.

I always either have a multitool on my belt or in my bag, but I also always have a SAK in my pocket, usually a Vic Executive. Even the most timid of passersby raise nary an eyebrow at the wee little SAK, and honestly, it just makes more sense than hauling out a LM Charge or SwissTool Spirit to trim a fingernail.

12. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

:worthless:

I want to see pics of everything together!

13. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun Empty Pockets

A Trekker to supplement my PST.

14. MM2000

MM2000 Empty Pockets

After I retired my Swiss Champ from active duty E.D.C., I still wanted a few of the tools that it had and my Leatherman Wave did not, so I got a Silver Tech Climber. I do miss tools like the file/hacksaw and the hook remover, but the sissors work good, the reamer comes in handy, even the corkscrew has been used once or twice. The one thing that I do love is the can opener. The combo tool on the Wave does open cans and bottles but it doesn't do either job very well. Maybe it's just that I used the Swiss for so many years and I've got the move down, but the first time that I need something to open a can and I don't have one of these....I don't even want to think about it!

15. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

A Victorinox Mechanic to go with my Wave.

16. MrCoffee

MrCoffee Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I always have at least one SAK in my pocket, and a MT on my hip. Hardly ever the same two in combo thou, I own way to many of both to find the prefect setup..... just when I think I have the exact right combo... well another MT or SAK comes along and makes me want to switch it around. But most days it seems to be a Blast or Surge with a Scibeer built Alox Woodsman, or a Alox Lumberjack by +B, or a Huntsman. Always have a Vic Fireman in my EDC bag. Maybe a minichamp too.... hmmmm.

17. bluesy_92

bluesy_92 Loaded Pockets

Well, depends on the MT. If I had for example, a Leatherman Blast, I would have everything I need.

On the other hand, I'm considering buying a Crunch. No plain-edge blade, no scissors, no saw, no bottle/can openers...that tool would be well complimented by an SAK.