1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone carry a SAK to supplement your multitool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Marlinaholic, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Foskey

Foskey Loaded Pockets

I carry a Gerber Torch Tanto II along side my Victorinox Swiss tool. It's great for the bigger jobs, and the knives provided with the multi-tool are great for smaller jobs.

2. tcolling

tcolling Empty Pockets

I've been carrying a LM Juice plus a Vic MiniChamp for a while now. The past few days it's been a Juice KF4 plus the minichamp. The minichamp has the (small) scissors and cap lifter that the KF4 lacks, and the Vic minichamp versions of those two tools work better their LM counterparts on my Juice S2.

- Tim

3. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I have recently found that my Skeletool partnered with a SAK Climber makes a pretty good combo, the alternative I like for the woods is a SAK Outrider for the saw blade.For anything too heavy for those I start pulling out tool boxes.

4. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

I am another person who instead carries a multitool to compliment a SAK. ;)

I always carry both because I frequently run into situations where I need to use pliers and a screwdriver at the same time. For example, to hold a nut still so that it doesn't spin while you are unscrewing something.

I also find a SAK less unwieldy and faster to grab for various day-to-day sundry tasks. It is also more :censored:-friendly, so I can use it in public without alarming anyone.

I still keep a multitool on hand though. I just tend to only bring it out for heavier work.

5. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Interesting, I have never had a problem with a multi-tool being considered people unfriendly, most people find my Skeletool fascinating rather than threatening.

6. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

I envy you. Cultures vary drastically in their attitudes to knives.

Though I have been in many environments where no one raises an eyebrow about a multitool, I am also regularly in places were doing so intimidates people and causes problems.

I even had someone complain about an alox SAK once. The only things that I have never had problems with are the familiar, red cellidor SAKs. And even then, I often have to be discreet about using the blade.

7. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Actually, I carry a Multi-tool (Olds cool LM Wave, since you ask!) to supplement my SAK (Champ!).

The Wave is carried in one of those elasticated loop 3-clip mag carriers velcroed to the divider of my Maxpud Last Resort, the SAK is EDC'd in my pocket.

Since I work in an Outdoor Equipment/Clothing store, it (thankfully) seems acceptable that I EDC my SAK at work.
    I seem to be the un-official store Handyman, so Im constantly called upon to cut/tighten/remove/replace/repair all manner of fixtures & fittings around the shop.
    To be fair, the SAK can handle most things & I usually only find myself getting the Wave if I need better & bigger pliers than the small SAK ones

8. tanker01

tanker01 Empty Pockets

Yes, 2 is one, 1 is none. ;D

9. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Today I'm carryin' a climber plus to supplement my Sideclip, but after evaluating my situation, tomorrow, I'll be carryin' a tacfolder to compliment the Sideclip.

10. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

With the exception of rotating out my Explorer Plus once in a while, I carry it and a Rambler to supplement my Spirit X Plus with Ratchet. Frankly, the Explorer Plus' magnifier is invaluable, especially given my eyesight - and the random lack of compound or dissecting microscopes in labs when they'd be very useful - and the Rambler is even more people friendly than the Explorer Plus, in addition to having the small Phillips that I've used just enough to know not to go anywhere without it.

When I do rotate around my Explorer Plus, though, it's typically a Cadet, for formal events - and I'd probably move my Spirit X to a bag - or one of many other choices; nonetheless, the Rambler let's me keep the scissors regardless of what my other choice moves to be. :)

11. 17Chap

17Chap Loaded Pockets

Always, usually something small. For months it has been a Red Evo 81 from Wenger.

Chap

12. just one more

just one more Empty Pockets

Same for me, original LM in the front pocket of my bag with the SAK in my RHP for everyday use. I also carry a larger folder IWB but the SAK is great for not alarming those around me and for the "anyone have a knife/bottle opener/screwdriver" times.

13. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

I ALWAYS carry a SAK to supplement my multitool!

Here are some good combinations:

Charge TTi/Electrician
    SwissTool Standard/Climber
    Skeletool/Champion
    Freestyle/Champion
    Core/Micra
    Spirit S/Climber

14. Shookers

Shookers Empty Pockets

I carry the Victorinox OHT (German Army version) to supplement my LM Sideclip. I used to EDC a SwissTool but I found that it was too bulky.

Most of the time, I use the pliers and screwdrivers. The other tools I use rarely so I decided to split my usage between two tools. It slims down my carry and I've got most situations covered.

15. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

I always back up my multi with a SAK , of late : work - Electrician Plus , off work- Alox Soldier . I always have a Rambler on my keys . If for some reason .I'm nt packing a multi , I schlep a Vic. Ranger . If I feel the need for a Tactical/one hander , I go with a OH Soldier or OH GAK .

Chris

16. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

When I am at work, I have carry a Leatherman Wave. When not working, I carry a Vic Alox Soldier.

17. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I'm considering a Vic Solo or Pocket Pal. I do not carry a multitool.

I'm looking at those knives because they have Spear Point main blades and I just ADORE Spear Point blades!

Of course I already have a few old carbon steel knives with that blade so it's not like I need another knife. But I think y'all know how it is...

18. dozzer

dozzer Loaded Pockets

I would hghly reccomend a Vic soldier!

Dozzer

19. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

always have a SAK in my pocket, a SAK Locksmith lives in my bag as well as a Skeletool

20. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I think carrying both would depend on how you are carrying them. If you have a bag then go for it and keep both handy. If you are talking pocket carry I don't think I would carry both just for the scissors. In that instance I would be more likely to add a micra to my keys. Small but good sized effective scissors.