1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone carry a SAK to supplement your multitool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Marlinaholic, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

I just got a Victorinox Climber for a great price brand new, and while I love my SOG Powerlock and Power Assist, neither of them have scissors. I guess I could add scissors to them and lose my V cutters, but the price of one set of Scissors will cost me about what the Climber did. What do you guys think, the Victorinox scissors seem to be high quality, would I be better off just carrying the Climber when I have a SOG on? I use the scissors on my Charge all the time and love them, and its about the only thing I miss on the SOG. I don't know, just thought I get opinions from those of you who might have SOG scissors. I guess with the Climber I get a whole other tool where just putting scissors in the SOG doesn't do that for me. I don't know :shrug:

2. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Loaded Pockets

OMG TWINS!!
    i carry a SOG MT and SAK Climber too!!! my SOG has scissors, but they don't cut as well as those on the SAK, and the SAK is easier to deploy. if scissors are important, maybe you should check out the Swisstool. same scissors as the SAKs(check first though; some Swisstools like the Spirit have a different scissor that, IMO, isn't as great as the standard one. i know the X has the standard scissor) and all tools are closed-accessible. :smitten:

3. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I actually carry a multitool to augment my SAK! My carry SAK is either a Cadet, Recruit or Yeoman. I always have a Swisstool or Wave in my bag to back it up for the bigger jobs :)

4. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

Thanks paracord Junky, thats what I was wondering, the scissors on my SAK are so good, I'm thinking that the SOG scissors are bigger but maybe not better. I think its hard to beat Victorinox for quality on tiny tools, but hard to beat SOG for toughness on their gear driven pliers!

5. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Loaded Pockets

totally, which is why i carry both the SOG(for the pliers) and a SAK(for tools and knife).actually, i've been toying with the idea of stripping all the sharps from the SOG and replacing them with other tools, since i rarely use the knife anymore. i tried just removing the tools entirely, but the handles didn't sit right without them.
    if i were to carry only a MT, without a folder, it would be the Swisstool X. closest to perfect for me.

6. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

The only time I carry a SAK and multi tool together is when I am hiking. The SAK is a Vic Huntsman which is carried on my person. The multi tool is in my pack and is either a Swisstool Spirit X or Leatherman Charge Ti.

A few weeks back when out hiking, I had to use the Huntsman's scissors to cut away a patch of dead skin on a mates foot that had sheared away from a blister.

7. Erzengel

Erzengel Loaded Pockets

When i go out for hiking, i use my SAK Rucksack for anything that's related to food, and my Swisstool for all oter tasks. I usually wear the SAK in my pants and the Swisstool in the backpack.

8. Lion

Lion Empty Pockets

This week I've been carrying a Leatherman Freestyle CX and an Explorer. So far, the pair has been working well. I especially like having the drivers separate from the pliers.

Leo

9. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I don't own a multi tool but DO carry a SAK primarily for the scissors!

I have a truck full of the tools I need for what I do.

10. LauraQ

LauraQ Loaded Pockets

I love the SAK Classic, but sometimes want a bigger blade. Not huge, just one step up from the Classic. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

11. dilbert

dilbert Empty Pockets

I carry my Leatherman Wave clipped on my right pocket and my Victorinox Spartan in my left pocket when I'm camping or on vacation. Most of the time though I just carry one or the other.

12. jetpack

jetpack Loaded Pockets

I carry a small Vic Rambler in Front Left Pocket - it has got small, but quite good scissors. The main disadvantage in Victorinox scissors is that small spring which has tendency to slacken (is it a good word?). I think that Wenger has got a way better scissors - no traditional spring and little teeth for better cutting.

13. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

With the same items, only in a larger package, would be the 74mm Ambassador. :) Though, with that said, look at the entire (pitiful ._.) 74mm line to see if any of the others strike your fancy. :) 74mm lineup.

14. LauraQ

LauraQ Loaded Pockets

Perfect! Thank you!

15. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have a Wenger Esquire here and the blade is exactly 1/4" longer and a tiny smidge wider.

I just made the Esquire blade VERY sharp on Croc Stix.

The scissors seem to be superior too.

16. Slumber

Slumber Loaded Pockets

The Cadet is a great little knife too. I picked mine up at Target for around $18.

17. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I frequently carry a SAK Nomad alongside a Wave; longer blade (and frankly better for cutting food, I hate getting stuff into the mechanics of a multitool), corkscrew, awl, better cap lifter.

18. 2506sniper

2506sniper Loaded Pockets

Lately, I've been carrying the Leatherman Freestyle CX for pliers, and either a Vic Tinker or SwissChamp for tools depending on what I've got going on. But for work, a Leatherman charge TTi. I also carry a dedicated folder.

19. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Loaded Pockets

not to supplement, but always have a Climber and a Camper on the keys. Once in a while the Tinkerer just falls into the pocket for whatever purpose.

20. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

LauraQ, I suggest the executive as I perfer the long nail file to the standard one.
    I carry a swisschamp and a swisstool. The tool is for heavy duty jobs and dirty ones, the champ for "lighter" ones and clean jobs, like cuttling food and such. I have an addiction....there is no cure :(