1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody use Hi-Tec Magnum Stealth Boots with side zip?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by subseasniper, Jan 26, 2010.

1. subseasniper

subseasniper Empty Pockets

Hey guys. I am looking for a new pair of work boots (I work as a cop) and have been using Magnums for several years, namely the really fine Magnum Amazon's.

I have been looking at getting a pair of Magnum Stealth Boots and am interested in the model with the side zips.

However, I have read a couple of pretty daming reviews on amazon saying the zips are of very poor quality and break easily.

Do any of you guys or girls use these particular boots and if so, what is your opinion on them?

I know magnums are good as I have been through three pairs of them and found them faultless but I am interested in hearing how the zips fair against everyday usage.

Thanks in advance.

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Never heard about them. However, I bought a pair of different side-zip boots (Sievi) about a year ago. The company representative happened to be in the store when I was trying them on, and when I expressed some concern about the durability of the zippers, he said that I should first zip them up and then adjust the laces so that they are a little loose, not tight. Pulling the laces tight on side-zip boots puts a lot of strain on the zipper when you move your feet. Been wearing them for a year now without any problems, and I love the ease and speed of putting them on and taking them off.

Again, I have no idea about the Magnums, but that seemed like good advice to me, so I figured I'd repeat it.

3. havz

havz Empty Pockets

I have had a couple of pairs of magnum boots oer the years and I like them.

My first pair were not the side zip kind but they have served me well while hunting, shooting and other misc outdoor activites.

I currently wear a pair of Magnum Stealth 8" side-zip boots for work. I work as an Armed Security Officer at a Nuclear Generating Plant and spend a decent amount of time on my feet each day. I would say mine have held up very well and I have had no problems with the side zippers what so ever (knock on lamenate wood).

[​IMG]
    lapolicegear.com Magnum Stealthforce Side-zip Boot

I would reccomend them to anyone.

Joel

4. H3TOM

H3TOM Empty Pockets

I have the same pair of magnum boots. I would stick with what you are used to. I have a similar job.. nothing is worse than trying out a new pair and being let down :brickwall:

5. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

while I didn't have this version, I did have several pairs (in rapid succession) of magnum "responder" side zips. none of them lasted long, mostly due to problems with the zips.
    so personally I would be somewhat suspicious of them.

on the other hand, the responders have now been discontinued, possibly due to the same problems I had, and it's entierly possible that they where the exception, rather than the rule.

6. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

A good side zip boot shouldn't fail if the laces are tight though. I own a pair of 5.11 ATAC Storm side zip boots, and they're not expensive boots. I tie my laces tight and the zips haven't failed me in 2 years.

7. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

I've gone through three pairs of Magnum SZ series, only one has failed due to zip (zip got *majorly* stuck in up position.)

I continued using them until the rainy season here in SJ and one of the soles gave way. That pair (my last one) lasted a good 2 years for me, so I considered it good.

I'm currently rocking a brand new pair of 8" Stealth SZ's. I've had pretty good success with all of Hi-Tec's gear so I've stayed with the brand.

8. subseasniper

subseasniper Empty Pockets

Thanks for the replies guys. I reckon I will just get the boots sans zips to be on the safe side.

Thanks again,

SSS

9. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I had a pair and never had any problems with them.

10. phorsaken1

phorsaken1 Loaded Pockets

The last pair of Magnums I had the zipper gave out during the first 24 hours. I think the problem was going from steel zippers to plastic. I got a new pair of 5.11 ATAC boots a few weeks ago. So far, so good. I do miss how the Magnums fit me perfectly, though.

11. weaselrunner

weaselrunner Empty Pockets

stay far away from them. I used to work for a uniform and safety equipment company. I picked up a pair and after about a week the grab tab on the zipper on one broke. I kept them and they lasted about a year. The second pair I got before leaving failed with in 6 months (zipper and stiching came completely apart). Towards the end of that company, they started having terrible q/c problems with all Hi-Tech boots to the point of dropping the line.