1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody make a softshell that isn't cut to fit a bean pole???

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by BigJ74, Feb 21, 2010.

1. BigJ74

BigJ74 Empty Pockets

I have been on the hunt for a good waterproof/windproof/breathable softshell for months. The Seattle weather almost demand either that or a Gore-Tex hardshell if you like to spend your time outside, and I'd rather have the flexibility of the soft shells. I've tried on all kinds of stuff from North Face, Solomon, Patagonia, REI, Marmot, Columbia... you name it... from $50 to $500... and can't find a :censored: one that isn't built for someone built like your typical marathon runner. What they all call an XXL these days is a joke! I am a big, barrel-chested, beer-gut carrying guy who is otherwise active as most are out there. I have no illusions... I could lose a few, but I would still never fit into the "Athletic Fit" that all these clothing companies seem to be using as a jacket pattern. Any help from the bigger guys out there? I'm 6'-1" and about 280 on a good day for anyone who wants a reference size...

BigJ74

2. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I can't believe I'm posting this link again, but... Beyond will build you one to whatever your measurements are.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You might give Columbia another look. I've always found them to be generous with their sizes and cuts.

Woolrich is also good for big and tall stuff, but I don't know that they'd make a soft shell...

5. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

I don't know,even with the 30lbs i've gained in the last year and a half my northface stuff still fits pretty well (I'm now 6'3" and 295),TAD and some of the others are slimmer fit,but no troubles here with northface.

6. ryball

ryball Empty Pockets

I would check Duluth Trading Company - http://www.duluthtrading.com/

I've had to send all the coats I've tried back because they were too... generous.

Sorry, I thought they had a soft shell, but it doesn't seem to be on their site...

7. funkymonkey1111

funkymonkey1111 Loaded Pockets

i may be a little more round in the middle than i wish, and i've had no problem with the REI one jacket.

8. FoundingFather

FoundingFather Loaded Pockets

I am a big guy and found that the Bass Pro Shops Packlite Gortex coat fits verry well. I got a 3xl for about $100.

9. balrog

balrog Loaded Pockets

+1 for Beyond Clothing softshells.

10. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

+2 on Beyond Clothing!!

11. Frizzlefry

Frizzlefry Empty Pockets

12. JohnK

JohnK Loaded Pockets

ive been looking at http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=143898&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11702&variationId=0C5# for a little while but no stores around me have it yet so im not sure what size i would be, if you wouldnt mind could you give me a guess? im somwhere between 5 11' and 6 foot tall and 190-200 lbs with an athletic build im thinking im eitheir a large or Xl
    thanks

13. durhamsurvivor

durhamsurvivor Empty Pockets

Know exactly what you mean, I'm ex British army drill instructor big barrelled chested and struggle to find a decent softshell that (A) has enough pockets, (B) is big enough for a guy who does not have a 27 inch waist.

14. crunchysock

crunchysock Loaded Pockets

15. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

I wear an XL or 2XL depending on what layer it is,that jacket looks like it is cut a little loose so you would probably have plenty of room in the large,but I guess it depends what you will be wearing under it . If you are going to wear a couple of layers under it might be borderline in large.

16. SRC

SRC Loaded Pockets

I have a North Face Apex Jacket in XL. I'm 6ft tall and I have a huge tummy and it fits me fine. It is about 6 years old though so they may have changed the cut since then.