1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody have experience w/Model: Victorinox Compass/Ruler/Magnifying Glass/Thermometer for Swiss Arm

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Kraycat, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Kraycat

Kraycat Loaded Pockets

Thinking about getting this one....anybody got one?
    Model: Victorinox Compass/Ruler/Magnifying Glass/Thermometer for Swiss Army Knife 30482

image here

2. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

I always wanted one but never dug one up. I to would like to hear some opinions.

3. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

No personal experience with this particular bit of Vic gear. But here are six reviews on Amazon. Not in great detail, but overall favorable except for one negative experience with thermometer. One review here at Optics Planet, but pretty much a rehash of product description, with no objective comments on performance.

Despite Vic's well-earned reputation for consistent quality, shouldn't expect too much of the compass, simply due to its size (you know well, button-style compasses have their limitations). And the low price of the total accessory necessarily limits quality.

That said, it's encouraging to see that the compass face says "Swiss Made." I've read several times that the compass is made by Recta, the 100-year-old Swiss compass maker, who has a great reputation. Recta did make compasses for Swiss Army but can't confirm they make this compass. Aside: Recta was purchased by Suunto in the mid-1990s, who, in turn, was purchased by the Finnish company Amer Sports (who incidentally owns Wilson Sporting Goods).

2012-10-23_172209.jpg

For the sub-$15 price, with the Vic brand on it, it's a bargain IMO. Great for a small kit.

4. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

What's the magnification? Glass magnifier or plastic?

5. Kraycat

Kraycat Loaded Pockets

Dunno but imagine plastic for sub 20 bucks

Sent from the Jungle.

6. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

Cool. I've never seen one of those before. I'd like to get one and mount it on the dashboard of my motorcycle.

7. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Victorinox used to have this really nice leather belt pouch and it had two main compartments. On one side it had a Swiss Champ. On the other it had Vic's "Survival Kit." A small signal mirror and other things. There was even a loop on the outside with a AAA Maglite Solitaire was stored. Pretty cool. On the kit side, there was a compartment for this "ruler." It was as accurate as any other button-sized compass I have had.

8. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

I bought this case empty many, many years ago (the Internet existed but there was zero online shopping; however did we live?) and never got around to completing it. Some I've seen have flaps on each side. I put a cut-down Bic pen in the pocket where the Solitaire would go. I believe there was also a small sharpening steel that would fit there.

[​IMG]

nuphoria and Kraycat like this.
  9. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the one that I had was double that size. It was huge. Knife went in one side and the "kit" in the other.

10. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

Never saw one of those but I did wonder how all the stuff in the kit was supposed to fit. :)

11. johnny rodriguez

johnny rodriguez Loaded Pockets

I have one it came with a vic tool that has almost everything that my uncle gave me its pretty good actually, but the whole kit is so big it never leaves my house. its compass is very acurate but I dont use it

12. johnny rodriguez

johnny rodriguez Loaded Pockets

my leather case is about twice as big because it came with a "kind of" useless survival kit. the only thing that i really use is the ceramic sharpener

13. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

It wasn't my idea of a great survival kit, but to refer to it as "'kind of' useless" is kind of puzzling. :)

gibbsrule9 likes this.
  14. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

Really. Like a pre-assembled FAK some things would get swapped-out for other things but it's still pretty cool for what it is. People put similar stuff in Altoids tins.

31. Swiss Champ 1.6795
    32. Sharpening stone
    33. Pressure pencil
    34. Writing paper and knot tying guide together with instructions for distress signals
    35. 3 Bandage strips
    36. Sewing thread
    37. 2 Sewing needles
    38. 8 matches
    39. 2 Safety pins
    40. Nylon string 3m
    41. Signal mirror
    42. Distress whistle
    43. Maglight torch with spare bulb
    44. Ruler cm/inc with
    45. –compass
    46. –spirit level
    47. –magnifying glass
    48. –thermometer C/F
    49. Small fishing kit
    50. Comb
    51. Spare tweezers
    52. 2 Spare toothpicks

15. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Oddly, I just bought one. I'll play with it a bit more before I give it a review.

16. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I carried one as part of a Victorinox belt pouch kit for years. The magnifier is plastic, but works well. The compass is excellent. The thermometer was accurate and easy to read. My only complaint is that something in the thermometer makes a kind of bell-like metallic sound when jiggled, which was occasionally annoying. Overall the item is useful and well-made.

17. TonyL

TonyL Loaded Pockets

Hi, I have such a Victorinox Compass/Ruler from a very old Ericksson Cell pone - the one that came in bright orange, with splash proofing - the Shark Tooth (discontinued some 10 years ago). The phone had a sheath, complete with a pocket for the ruler, and a very nice carabiner attachment.
    The phone is dead, but I still use the ruler. The plastic lens is not a genuine Fresnel thing, but the other contraptions are working just fine.

18. Kraycat

Kraycat Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the comment people, I have decided to go with separates as I will be using the magnifier more frequently. I will also need a compass as well. What do you have or like?
    :cool:

19. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I don’t EDC my compass (K&R Alpin), because it’s too bulky to justify it in urban/suburban situations.
    I EDC a magnifier. Here you can see it in the down right corner:
    [​IMG]
    This one has a plastic frame. My father has a similar one from Zeiss with metal frame. He said he bought it as oculist magnifier at a medical store 30 years ago. I don’t know the brand of mine (which I got from him) or what this kind is called (any help on this?) or where to get one. Had no luck with amazon, ebay, the Zeiss website or just googling.