1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else pre order the Atom CR123?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by sl66ICEcuba, Nov 6, 2013.

1. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

I like the thought of a really small CR123 light and the looks and size of the P0 fit me perfectly. Hopefully they fixed the bugs with P0 which hopefully translate into the Atom, ordered a Ti P0 as well because of my Ti obsession. Just wondering who else is on the band wagon and what expectation you have for this little light.

2. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

I really like the size, 100% flood and that it supports 16340. But... I hate cool white, I'll wait a bit to see if they will release it in neutral white, or even better, high CRI warm white...

Tixx and Blerv like this.
  3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I'm going to order the AA/14500 version, with headband, as soon as it's offered, I'm not a CR123 fan though. A P0 lives in a back-pocket organizer as my "spare battery container" for my AA and AAA EDC lights and gadgets. I figure if I'm going to carry a extra battery, might as well have a spare light too.

What problems/bugs does the current P0 have? Mine works great.

angusW likes this.
  4. wilburdee
    • In Omnia Paratus

wilburdee Loaded Pockets

I will probably get one when I have the funds, but I think I'm a 4/7's fanboy, so take that for what you will.
    Only 110 lm from cr123 batt. almost seems to be 'wasting' the batts. potential, although it will have really good runtime - about 3 hrs. on high I think. I do like the fact that, just like the PO, it will be all flood, I think about the 1st time I fired up that light & marveled at the beautiful beam, I can only imagine what that floody beam will look like at 110 lm.
    I also like the relatively cheap($15) headband 4/7's is selling that will not only fit this light, but will work with mini123 lights(I have 2 of those). I wonder if the headband will work using the cr2 mini.
    I remember seeing Nuttinfancy's video where he used a Fenix headband for his minis, but that one is priced at about $29,I think.
    So the fact that this Atom123 is kind of unique & won't break the bank makes it a winner in my mind.
    Oh yeah! I'm gettin' one!

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

For someone who already carries a CR123 or 16340 light, this makes a great "battery carrier". Most battery tubes are larger than this light, but do not provide a backup light.

Tixx, derfyled and wilburdee like this.
  6. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

I have had two P0's (first and second gen) and both had flickering issues as well as mode issues, pop in and out of the different lumen settings. Can't return it now since I removed the magnet however it is so small and useful that I am just learning to live with it.

7. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I would be all over it with a neutral or warm LED. Would also probably take a soldering gun to magnet and try to kill it.

My EDC is a Peak Eiger with a Nichia 219 mule head so I dig the flood :).

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't understand the love for the Preon?
    I have yet to try a 4/7 that really impressed me though I have not tried any expensive ones either.

Those $1.00 waterproof match kits from Walmart make a great 123 holder and carry 2 in waterproof comfort and a lot less pricey than trying a tiny light as a battery holder?

I have a Fenix E15 on a keychain and it will take a lot of light to change that,I just can not see the Atom being that light?

Ed

MrOG likes this.
  9. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

The E15 is indeed a great light but it's a completely different type of beam. The Atom will be great for close-up jobs since it's only flood (no reflector, no optic, just the led) while the E15 is quite throwy for such a small light. They both have their function.

reppans likes this.
  10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's apparently because you don't have a Preon ReVO SS... :D

The Atom AL offers a different style of beam that would be well-suited to headlamp use and it runs on 16340 rechargeables! Very few small CR123 lights can run on the rechargeables - the Fenix E15 can't, for instance.

Tixx and reppans like this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thats for sure and its the one they don't offer anymore too?

If the Atom is at all solid in its construction like the Fenix I will be looking at it but if it is like the Preon' that I have already,no thanks.
    I understand that the newest Penlight has a much better build quality but I stopped before I had that many after being let down by the 1 and 2 that I do/did have.

We shall see.

12. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I'm not a bit fan of Foursevens PWM Preons or Minis either, but I absolutely love their current- regulated Preons and Quarks. IMHO, the Revo SS, Penlight, and P0 are the best in their respective classes (keychain, penlight, battery container), and have all 3 in my pockets now.

The 1xAA/14500/sub-lumen EDC class is my favorite though, and I have most of the best in that class too, but I just can't seem to find anything that will top the versatility of my Quark AAX. I guess the thing is that the Quark can do just about anything the others can, perhaps not always with the same finesse, but going the other way... it's not even close.

jag-engr and Blerv like this.
  13. moshow9

moshow9 Loaded Pockets

Might jump in for the CR2 version when it gets released. All flood (mule) lights are great for up close work. Not a fan of the cool tint so this would make a great candidate for an emitter swap. :D

Tixx and Blerv like this.
  14. Theron

Theron Loaded Pockets

I think the E05 and the E15 are perfect complements for that reason. The E05 is dim and floody for close work and the E15 is bright and throwy for working farther away.

I keep the E05 on my car keys and the E15 on my scooter keys for this very reason.

I hope the Prometheus QR AAA can replace the E05, and I am intrigued with the Peak Eiger Mule mentioned above.

15. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Foursevens makes a good product. The Maelstrom line are amazing too. Honestly, I've felt the same disappointment with Fenix but admittedly never have purchased the expensive ones.

My one complaint about Foursevens is they to some degree have been playing it safe for a couple years. A little variety (like neutral tints) wouldn't kill anyone, would it?

angusW and reppans like this.
  16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I don't know if you've seen David's post on the NW subject, but outside of flashaholics, they just don't sell well and David gets stuck with inventory. Goinggear joined in on that thread and also said some 95+ % of their sales goes to CW. Course, the last of the NWs in my favorite model were gone by that point. Took me 6mo. until one turned up in GG's 2013 garage sale (it was a return). Got an open box at 1/2 price and it's my all time favorite light (although I'm not tint snob and also like CWs).

They are quite conservative though, updated models are not rolling as quickly as others. But on the other hand, every new competing light I've tried, has failed to beat 47's 2+ year old design, at least for my priorities. Each new light purchase only makes me appreciate my Quark more.

Blerv and sl66ICEcuba like this.
  17. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Yea they do have a very evolved product line. A Quark as your first light could probably be your last one :).

CW does sell far more often. I've spoken to folks like Bob at RMSK who echoes he sells multiple CW's to every high cri. IMHO if you can afford to stock a few (or do a sprint run) it will drive fans to the site who will send friends and family there as well.

Tixx and reppans like this.
  18. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Surprising as 47s caters more to the mainstream customers and I would have though Peak appealed to the more flashaholic, tint snob crowd. Keep wanting to add a Peak to the portfolio, but if I tend to use 0.3/3 lumen modes 40/40% of the time people have said that I'd probably be frustrated with the QTC. That sound right?

SAKplumber and Blerv like this.
  19. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

They can be a bit finicky but the lows get very low. Half as bright as most moonlights, maybe lower.

My brothers Eiger wasn't ramping quite as smooth. I put a QTC square on the brass negative lead and it ramps great now.

SAKplumber and reppans like this.
  20. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Thanks Blerv, will carry the conversation in PMs so not hijack any further.

SAKplumber likes this.