1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else just hate carrying a fixed blade?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Justinp, Dec 12, 2016.

1. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love carrying a fixed blade but I almost always pair it with a traditional folder as well. That way I've got the folding convenience if I need it and the strength and reliability of a fixed when I want it. I've carried my BK11, BK14, and Izula for probably two years between them, off and on. I'm back on a peasant knife kick lately (I've got a Svord Peasant in my pocket at the moment) but I might just carry my Izula for a few days now.

Justinp likes this.
  2. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

During colder weather, a fixed blade is a bit handier to carry IMO. It is easier to conceal on the belt with a jacket; don't have to fumble with pulling it out of a pocket or attempt to open while wearing gloves either.

Justinp likes this.
  3. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

I'm on my way to smoky mountain knife works as we speak. I'm thinking about getting a regular Izula or a candiru....or a bk11 or bk14. Haha. Or maybe a leek! I want them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chavez likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

And enablers that we are, we totally support you ! :uhhuh:

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Justinp and Gary Gross like this.
  5. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

Haha! I know I said I don't like carrying fixed blades but I brought my girlfriend with me and she got me this as an early Christmas present! It was on sale for 35 bucks. I couldn't NOT let her do it. Haha. She even got me the scales. The only thing I don't like is the sheath it comes with and I still have to find a way to carry a fixed blade that I actually like. I'm not giving up! [​IMG]

Gary Gross likes this.
  6. K-808

K-808 Loaded Pockets

I think in many circumstances the issue isn't the fixed blade but the method of carry.

To me it isn't a hassle to re-sheath a fixed blade. If I am done with it there is no hurry and both hands if needed are available. I also don't see much difference in effort between the re-pocketing of a folder vs. the re-sheathing of a fixed blade.

Fixed blades existed long before the folder and performed all the roles we currently use folders for. Somehow those of the past seemed to make it work.

k

jkwithawave, BadDad and Justinp like this.
  7. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

Very true. I think I just have to get used to it.

BadDad likes this.
  8. Foster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

I usually just carry a small 3" Gavko fixed blade in a kydex sheath in my pocket. Used to carry a folder as well, but I found that I rarely used it. To me the most important points of a fixed blade edc are the handle and the sheath. The handle needs to be long enough to fit all four fingers around to enable proper leverage if needed, and the sheath needs to be slim and simple to use. In terms of blade length, for an edc knife it doesn't need to be any longer than 3", and smaller ones work the vast majority of the time.

Unfortunately a lot of sheaths are more of an afterthought, like the plastic ones that come stock on Esee knives. That being said there are aftermarket leather sheaths that work with most fixed knife designs. That or you can make your own from kydex with a fairly simple setup, there are lots of youtube videos that'll show you how. Making your own leather sheath is also an option, and opens up a cool hobby.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

I just bought an Izula and I've been trying to EDC it. While I really like the sturdiness of a fixed blade, I find that I don't really need a knife of that size for hard use. I'm carrying both the Izula on my belt and a 940-1 in my pocket to do a comparison and I have to say that the benefits of a folder outweigh that of the small fixed blade.

However, the Izula is just....cool.

[​IMG]

nolaradio and Justinp like this.
  10. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

I agree. I love my Izula 2 and my newly received BK14. So cool.

11. Cerberus.

Cerberus. Loaded Pockets

Not at all. Cannot imagine a day without my Fixed blade.

Stay Bladed.

BadDad likes this.
  12. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

How do you carry yours?

13. Cerberus.

Cerberus. Loaded Pockets

OWB just to right of midline handle forward. You could almost call it appendix.

My blade is not a utility blade its purely defensive so not accessed unless I'm training. This is probably why I do not mind it.

When out and about I carry my bushcraft fixed blade in the Scout position.

Stay Bladed.

14. BadDad

BadDad Empty Pockets

I don't have the same knife but I carry a smaller fixed on my side every day for both work and defensive reasons. Standard means of sheath carry on my right side at my hip in a deep well leather sheath.

I use my blade frequently at work all day, every day, for everything from boxes to drywall...

15. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Yes, why I would never edc a fixed blade.

16. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Empty Pockets

Don't hate it, though I usually carry a Buck 110 or 112. There are times when only a fixed will do, so I always have one near, in my truck, my lunchbox etc.

Justinp likes this.
  17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Just wondering if leaving it in the truck means that 'in the moment' it just isn't convenient to go to get it in most situations?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Empty Pockets

I prefer to quarter and bone my deer with a fixed blade, but will gut them with the 110 or 112. I don't really like to carry the fixed on my belt. I'll usually keep it in my truck, as I will use it (truck) to transport the deer back to camp or home. The Buck 110 or 112 don't seem to hang up as bad when climbing into or out of my stand. No real serious reason for preferring not to carry a fixed blade.

19. thebruce

thebruce Loaded Pockets

I don't see an advantage to a fixed blade over a folder for general EDC tasks. For "tactical" purposes a fixed blade is theoretically better, but for the average person a knife is a far less than ideal self-defense weapon anyway. Now, if my EDC tasks included more bushcrafting/etc type elements, it would be a different story. But I tried to carry neck knives for a while and the utility just wasn't there.

20. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

There are so many areas and so many people that don't find a fixed blade socially acceptable so I tend to stay with pocket carry of folders. I have been thinking about a 5" or less fixed Becker and if that happens I would like horizontal carry on the back of my waist band/loops to be an option.........kind of like the Jurassic Park 4 carry of the hero.

Justinp likes this.