1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else just hate carrying a fixed blade?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Justinp, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

Hey guys. Anybody else try carrying a fixed blade and find it too much of a hassle for everyday things? I recently started carrying my Izula 2 as my EDC blade and I'm not sure I like carrying a fixed blade. It has nothing to do with people seeing it or anything like that, I just don't like the hassle of taking it out of the sheath and having to put it back in without stabbing a hole in my pants. I keep it in the factory sheath in my front pocket. I didn't like the way the belt clip fit and with my job it kept getting caught on stuff. I know it's a matter of personal reference to a degree but I was wondering if there's anybody else that, no matter how much they WANT to carry a fixed blade, just don't like it. I just hate having my Izula in my bag where it rarely gets to see any action. It still looks brand new for the most part and I hate that. Haha. I want to give her some character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

It definitely is a hassle. The only fixed I can handle carrying is my Candiru in a pocket sheath or the skinny OEM nylon sheath it comes with and only because it is so thin without scales.

3. X-Roop

X-Roop Loaded Pockets

With the pocket sheath shown below I now love carrying this fixed blade. I have since removed the pen loop as I didnt like it.
    [​IMG]

Colt Seavers, trfkcop and Nick4305 like this.
  4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've experimented with pocket sheaths and neckers but they just seem to be lacking. For me, fixed starts at 3.5 inches. Anything smaller is a folder.

[​IMG]DSCF9551 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

jkwithawave, sungame, Ippon and 2 others like this.
  5. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I like carrying a small pocket fixed blade, or a neck knife. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Water-Rat, Roguehunter and Nick4305 like this.
  6. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I love my fixed carry. I have a kiridashi that I carry everyday in my pocket and it handles every task I throw at it. Weekends I usually go to a larger (3.5 inch) fixed on my belt. All around I prefer them to folders which I find cumbersome to open, and I often catch the clip on something.

Justinp likes this.
  7. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I went through the pocket fixed blade phase myself. It seemed like a perfect solution to all the weak points of the pocket knife. No hinge and weak point in strength, easier to clean with no hidden areas, no having to open and close it. no way for a blade to fold over and cut you if a lock fails.

But…like a lot of things, practice in the harsh light of day reveals that it's a pain in the butt to re-sheath. And it has to be a tiny fixed blade since it doesn't fold, as it takes up more room in the pocket. I even went down to a Buck Hartsook, a tiny fixed blade. I found the small pocket fixed blade not as effective as a moderate size folder. A small lightweight folder like a Gerber LST or Buck equivalent was actually handier in everyday life. The folder makes it easier to carry a larger blade in a smaller package.

I got rid of my pocket fixed blades and now just carry folders. It was a concept that made a better concept than reality.

sungame and Justinp like this.
  8. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

This. If I need a fixed blade, it's because I am planning to beat the tar out of my knife. And in that case I find it more than useful to have around 4ish inches of blade. If you know how to use it, IMHO there are many many folders out now that can do all the work you'll ever need in a knife that size, and more.

sungame and Justinp like this.
  9. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

I carry an Izula 1 daily and LOVE it!! Try a kydex or leather sheath that is made for pocket carry. The factory one really sucks for pocket carry.

10. Todd C.

Todd C. Loaded Pockets

I also carry fixed blades all the time. I love my folders too though. It is all about the sheath IMO.

Justinp likes this.
  11. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Could you post a pic of the sheath you use? I haven't tried anything even remotely suitable for pocket carry yet. Thanks!

Justinp likes this.
  12. X-Roop

X-Roop Loaded Pockets

The seath that I posted is actually made for the Izula. Search Sharpshooter Sheath Prudhoe Bay

trfkcop and Gary Gross like this.
  13. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Thank you sir!

Sent from my DROID Turbo

X-Roop likes this.
  14. Roguehunter

Roguehunter Loaded Pockets

More info on the first knife

15. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

The first knife is an Amsler Ti. VAL.

16. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I couldn't agree more. I have never really seen the point of super small fixed blades ... or huge folders, for that matter.

I have no problem carrying a fixie for camping or DIY projects. For every day carry, on the other hand, it is just not really convenient.

Moshe ben David, Ippon and Justinp like this.
  17. ScottieG59

ScottieG59 Loaded Pockets

I usually have a small fixed blade neck knife on. I move between CRKT Minimalists, CRKT Civets and the very small, but stout, Tonife HKT2018. I have some larger fixed blade knives, but I rarely carry them.

18. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I don't mind carrying a fixed blade. I will admit it is not as easy to carry as a folder. You cannot fidget with it either like you can open and close a folder. I think neck carry and pocket fixed blades have their place though. I carry the Busse Active Duty often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Piney, Mumbojumboo and buckeyeguy like this.
  19. BadDad

BadDad Empty Pockets

I carry a 3" Schrade Old Timer on my hip almost every day. It came with a deep carry leather sheath that is easy in and out but still holds secure. Full tang, burl walnut handle, and a really nice, stout blade without being heavy or cumbersome, and takes a wicked edge and holds it. It's my goto EDC blade...

I also usually have a CRKT Drumfire neck knife under my shirt.

I like the confidence of a solid fixed blade. I'm not worried about putting it to work as much as I do with a folder. And I definitely work my blades...

20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

No

Justinp likes this.